Utterly depressed....

Redrover

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
Have been back in the UK since October and there hasn't been a day I haven't worn my coat.

The weather is terrible! No wonder people are always ill and depressed!

Planning on moving back in May :) woooo.

Absolutely, I am ill every day here, sometimes twice a day :biglaugh: I do wonder why depression is such a huge problem in Australia, seems odd doesnt it ?

Just out of interest and further to one of my theories - would it be possible to let us know where you came from in the UK please? Just trying to understand this concept of the UK being a nightmare from which one has to escape? Thanks

Hi I am from South Wales but I travelled UK and Ireland with my job. It rained for about 4 months nealry solidly in 2012, virtually no full time jobs for youngsters and prices for groceries etc going thru the roof. Very depressing place at the moment.

We were in Melbourne in August to validate our visas, the weather was fair. We went up to the University of Melbourne, the wind was freezing and cut right to the bone, but the campus is on a bit of a hill so very exposed to the eliments. The architecture was amazing, how anyone can say that Australia has no interesting historical buildings, they need to have a look around Melbourne...........I loved it and can't wait to make it my home this August.

I am saying this from a Perth perspective, but I am amazed by the people who come here for the weather. Winter, we get more rain than the UK, you freeze at home because the houses are not built for cold and have no heating / double glazing. Then summer comes and you bake. The wife doesn't drive so she has to go to the shops early on her push bike before it's simply to hot.

A lot of families (sensible ones) have to keep their kids in doors as the skin cancer rates are huge.

I grew up in the north east of England and spent all my time outdoors, including in winter. Not a place known for it's good climate. As an adult, I spend less time outdoors than I did in the uk.

Oz has one of the highest rates for vitamin d deficiency in the world for a reason.

We have been in Melbourne for 8 weeks and the weather has been great! I am sure the winter will be shorter than the UK ones. The sea is warm and there are no sharks in the bay!

It has been an amazing summer, if you like hot dry sunny weather. Locals say it hasnt been like this for donkeys years. It certainly means the end of the La Nina weather pattern experienced over the last few summers. Hopefully it doesnt mean another 10 year drought though.

Last good summer in Scotland was 1995.

I can safely say that once you have lived in Australia for a few years you get complacent (and over-critical) about the weather so here goes. We had a new deck built last year. Every time we invite folk around it either rains or is 45 degrees (then rains). Examples include Christmas, Australia Day w/end, wife's birthday, twins birthday, entertaining Uncle and Aunt visiting from Paris. That's 5 rainy days since Christmas. Saying that, we went to Port Macquarie for a week in January and had perfect beach weather every day.

I am saying this from a Perth perspective, but I am amazed by the people who come here for the weather. Winter, we get more rain than the UK, you freeze at home because the houses are not built for cold and have no heating / double glazing. Then summer comes and you bake. The wife doesn't drive so she has to go to the shops early on her push bike before it's simply to hot.

A lot of families (sensible ones) have to keep their kids in doors as the skin cancer rates are huge.

I grew up in the north east of England and spent all my time outdoors, including in winter. Not a place known for it's good climate. As an adult, I spend less time outdoors than I did in the uk.

Oz has one of the highest rates for vitamin d deficiency in the world for a reason.

T

This is the usual negative stuff that you see written about Perth. We may get more rain than the UK in winter but you would never realise it. It comes in bursts. Rains heavily for short periods and then clears up to the lovely blue skies again. We don't get extremes of cold and I've never felt "frozen" at home. We didn't have reverse cycle aircon until a couple of years ago. Now we have it it's great for heating and cooling but before that we had one gas heater in a 4x2 open plan place and if we got cold we put long pants on and a jumper. We also have a wood heater which is great and heats the whole place up, for the couple of months you might need it, but my wife was worried that our youngster might put his hand on it by accident when he was very young. We haven't used it for 16 years. Still there if we need it though.

I don't know many families at all who keep their kids in the house, fair enough we know a couple but I reckon they are too paranoid for reason. Their kids are teenagers now and at uni so they can't keep them in like they used to. The wife has lily white skin and burns easily, maybe that's why she tried to keep the kids inside. There must be a lot of non-sensible families judging by the amount of kids you see out and on the beach and in the parks on hot days.

I too grew up in the North of England and I spend lots more time outdoors here than I did as a kid. Don't think I wasn't an outdoors type of person in the UK either. I was out doing stuff all the time. Soccer, running, swimming, fishing, windsurfing, but I can safely say every one of those activities is much more pleasant to do here. I've had days in the UK when I couldn't get my wetsuit off after windsurfing 'cos I couldn't feel my fingers. Here you don't even have to use a wetsuit for most of the year.

We came here for the weather first and foremost and love it.

Last good summer in Scotland was 1995.

I can safely say that once you have lived in Australia for a few years you get complacent (and over-critical) about the weather so here goes. We had a new deck built last year. Every time we invite folk around it either rains or is 45 degrees (then rains). Examples include Christmas, Australia Day w/end, wife's birthday, twins birthday, entertaining Uncle and Aunt visiting from Paris. That's 5 rainy days since Christmas. Saying that, we went to Port Macquarie for a week in January and had perfect beach weather every day.

It has wazzed it down in Sydney for at least one day out of every weekend for the last 5 (since, and including, Aussie Day weekend when we had 2 days of rain to make up for the extra day off). Culminating in Saturday with about 160mm of rain in one day and (for me) a flooded garage.

I note the dam is overflowing again BTW. Almost a year to the day since the last time it went over, with, of course, that being shouted about as a "once in a generation" event to have it full/overflowing at the end of summer

;-)

Saturday was spectucular (except for our neighbours who had a river running through their house, and you mate :wubclub:, and others who had trees fall through their houses). When it rains here, it really rains, and at the moment, typically at the weekends.

It has wazzed it down in Sydney for at least one day out of every weekend for the last 5 (since, and including, Aussie Day weekend when we had 2 days of rain to make up for the extra day off). Culminating in Saturday with about 160mm of rain in one day and (for me) a flooded garage.

I note the dam is overflowing again BTW. Almost a year to the day since the last time it went over, with, of course, that being shouted about as a "once in a generation" event to have it full/overflowing at the end of summer

;-)

Sorry, but after knowing several people die of skin cancer in Oz. I think any parent that allows their children to be out in it is a de facto child abuser. Full stop. No if no but. Forty percent of Australians get skin cancer of some type. Because either they or there parents are morons.

T

This is the usual negative stuff that you see written about Perth. We may get more rain than the UK in winter but you would never realise it. It comes in bursts. Rains heavily for short periods and then clears up to the lovely blue skies again. We don't get extremes of cold and I've never felt "frozen" at home. We didn't have reverse cycle aircon until a couple of years ago. Now we have it it's great for heating and cooling but before that we had one gas heater in a 4x2 open plan place and if we got cold we put long pants on and a jumper. We also have a wood heater which is great and heats the whole place up, for the couple of months you might need it, but my wife was worried that our youngster might put his hand on it by accident when he was very young. We haven't used it for 16 years. Still there if we need it though.

I don't know many families at all who keep their kids in the house, fair enough we know a couple but I reckon they are too paranoid for reason. Their kids are teenagers now and at uni so they can't keep them in like they used to. The wife has lily white skin and burns easily, maybe that's why she tried to keep the kids inside. There must be a lot of non-sensible families judging by the amount of kids you see out and on the beach and in the parks on hot days.

I too grew up in the North of England and I spend lots more time outdoors here than I did as a kid. Don't think I wasn't an outdoors type of person in the UK either. I was out doing stuff all the time. Soccer, running, swimming, fishing, windsurfing, but I can safely say every one of those activities is much more pleasant to do here. I've had days in the UK when I couldn't get my wetsuit off after windsurfing 'cos I couldn't feel my fingers. Here you don't even have to use a wetsuit for most of the year.

We came here for the weather first and foremost and love it.

....by British weather. I've been cold and wet for months.

Moving to melbourne later this year. Somebody tell me it's nice and sunny there now.

sorry to go off topic but this brought a smile to my face as i remembered the utterly butterly advert ....but utterly seriously you will be right once your here pal .....