What are you NOT looking forward to about moving back?

landv

I know we are all immensely looking forward to moving back to good old Blighty including myself, but occasionally I do a mental reality check what I won't be too keen on to see/experience again.

I only do it, so I can prepare myself and won't have a massive wobble in the first months or the first year.

I'll start off:

- getting up half an hour earlier in midwinter in the freezing cold and dark to scrape the car

- foggy, damp, drizzly, dark days that seem to last forever

- parked cars everywhere... and I mean everywhere and having to stop every meter to let the traffic flow

- paying council tax and whingeing about the council (yet again) about not collecting the bins for weeks and not filling in the potholes on the roads (amongst many other things)

- the price of petrol

- looking for parking spaces

- driving on the motorway

- postcode snobbery and toffs

- working for the NHS again (I'm very apprehensive about that)

- getting payed monthly

- January & February

May I add that the reasons for going back far outweigh all the above, and this thread is also meant to be a little tongue-in- cheek.

Well I'm here so the things I don't like:

driving around to find a parking place

people who instantly assume that I would much rather be back in Australia

Having to wait 2 days for an appointment at my local Apple Genius bar

that on weekends the train to my local station only goes once an hour - and that not all the trains have outlets for me to charge my iphone

Not looking forward to

the aged rellies kicking the bbucket

being without my DH while he has an Aus hholiday

having, eventually, to leave!

For me the main thing is getting colds and flu. I have hardly hardly had a cold in 10 years after I left the Uk, but I know I will catch them quickly - I used to get at least 3/4 a year - bad ones. This is getting me worried but I know its not worth staying here just for that. Just have to be a lot fitter I guess and eat healthier!

Chavs

M25

february

strictly come I'm a celebrity Big Brother get me out of here with the stars

Football and WAGS

traffic jams driving to and from work in the dark

Daily Mail

dreary council estates

posh bastards who think they own people

the hard nosed materialism and aggression ("oi what you lookin at?" "are you laughin at my mate's joke?") in the SE of England

Islamophobia, Francophobia, Europhobia

Looking at that list, a lot of those could be avoided by NOT returning to the home counties and heading for the SW instead!

It's strange really, that even after being back for over 2 years I get bugged by very little. The sense of belonging really is a warts and all feeling and I find a great deal of peace and acceptance.

I really hope it will be the same for us too.

Chavs

M25

february

Football and WAGS

Daily Mail

dreary council estates

the hard nosed materialism and aggression ("oi what you lookin at?" "are you laughin at my mate's joke?") in the SE of England

Looking at that list, a lot of those could be avoided by NOT returning to the home counties and heading for the SW instead!

Oh yes.... chavs! I did think of putting chavvy towns with dreary council estates on my list, but I did mention postcode snobbery....:mask:

And yes, will avoid the home counties this time.

For me the main thing is getting colds and flu. I have hardly hardly had a cold in 10 years after I left the Uk, but I know I will catch them quickly - I used to get at least 3/4 a year - bad ones. This is getting me worried but I know its not worth staying here just for that. Just have to be a lot fitter I guess and eat healthier!

Same for me, I had only one cold during my four years here, back home I used to get nasty chest infections on top of bad colds too at least once a year. Interesting isnt it? It must be the dampness in the air.

Chavs

M25

february

Football and WAGS

Daily Mail

dreary council estates

Funnily enough, my hubby mentioned exactly the same thing the other day.

Same for me, I had only one cold during my four years here, back home I used to get nasty chest infections on top of bad colds too at least once a year. Interesting isnt it? It must be the dampness in the air.

Ive had more colds and really bad chest infections since being in Aus than I ever got in the UK.

I find the wood heater smoke a real issue in the winter and then we have horrible burn-offs and fire smoke in the summer, so I live in thick smoke all year, and my chest doesant like it one bit

I think I have to agree with all of the above. I'd like to add;

Not being able to go to a GP on the same day I'm sick, waiting a week for an appt.

having to winterise the house - lag pipes, store hose away, salt ready for the drive

not being able to show my painted toenails off every day in my array of summer sandals

Getting used to being able to cross over and park my car in the street facing the wrong way

like Landv, I don't have rose colored glasses on, but it's not always about the material things . Bottom line is, there isn't a perfect place to live, everywhere has its quirks, it's whether they are deal breakers or not.

Some things will drive me nuts when I get back, sitting in a queue of traffic on the M1 for ages, cos some silly sod has run out of petrol

The variable speed limits on the M25

Im sure the rain will bug me eventually,when it is constant for days.Although at this moment in time, I cant wait to see proper rain again, we get about 3 spots here, and thats it,and everyone starts moaning and says its the worst weather they have ever seen, and we need to call the SES, incase it floods:)

Theres going to things that drive me mad, but at this moment in time, Im looking forward to everyone of them:)

Some things will drive me nuts when I get back, sitting in a queue of traffic on the M1 for ages, cos some silly sod has run out of petrol

The variable speed limits on the M25

Im sure the rain will bug me eventually,when it is constant for days.Although at this moment in time, I cant wait to see proper rain again, we get about 3 spots here, and thats it,and everyone starts moaning and says its the worst weather they have ever seen, and we need to call the SES, incase it floods:)

Theres going to things that drive me mad, but at this moment in time, Im looking forward to everyone of them:)

I can't wait for proper rain again :) Can't wait for a proper, decent nights sleep too!!

I'm pretty sure once I'm back in Scotland the weather will drive me mad after a while. Funnily enough, I vowed and declared when moving to Oz that I would never once complain about the heat....I've done nothing but the last few weeks! Lol.

I can't wait for proper rain again :) Can't wait for a proper, decent nights sleep too!!

I'm pretty sure once I'm back in Scotland the weather will drive me mad after a while. Funnily enough, I vowed and declared when moving to Oz that I would never once complain about the heat....I've done nothing but the last few weeks! Lol.

Proper nights sleep,,,ahhhh that would be so good.Cant remember having one for a long time.

A good thunder storm would be lovely as well, the storms normally burn themselves out coming accross the Bass Strait, so we only get a little rumble,I used to love the storms at home.

My hubby said i wasn't allowed to replace im too cold with im too hot! Instead he got both depending on the timeof year!

The worst of the weather in February - not the bright cold days, or crisp white snow but cold, damp and miserable days.

Neds drinking buckfast on the street corner

Paying extortionate amount for parking almost everywhere

Being hated just for being English (rare but it happens)

The roadworks in Edinburgh

NHS waiting lists

The Daily Mail mentality of too many

No one has mentioned all the immigrants yet? Why not?

I dont think it will bother us, too much,,,,,of course it may feel different when we get back, but we were never affected before, so hopefully it wont be much different now.

Of course when the 25 billion :) bulgarians and Romas arrive, it might:)

I dont think it will bother us, too much,,,,,of course it may feel different when we get back, but we were never affected before, so hopefully it wont be much different now.

Of course when the 25 billion :) bulgarians and Romas arrive, it might:)

I was being tongue in cheek Sapphire!

I think those with a certain 'political' slant will see 'it' as a problem, whereas normal people (who don't eat a diet of DM) will see that its just life: you cannot hermetically seal Britain circa 1948 in a jar. Britain has changed, is changing and will continue to change. Same for Aus.

I was being tongue in cheek Sapphire!

I think those with a certain 'political' slant will see 'it' as a problem, whereas normal people (who don't eat a diet of DM) will see that its just life: you cannot hermetically seal Britain circa 1948 in a jar. Britain has changed, is changing and will continue to change. Same for Aus.

I know you were,,,,:),thats why I said about the 25 Billion:)

I suppose if someone lives in an area,where there has been a massive influx,it might well affect them,in thier daily lives.But we never really noticed the influx, apart from when we went into major towns, and there was a few hanging about.