A couple of questions from a couple travelling to Oz in March :)

lgeere

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are off traveling to Oz in March on a WHV and cannot wait !!

Our bank accounts are currently being set up with Commonwealth Bank and we have our Tax File Numbers being sorted too so that we can start work immediately when something comes up.

Ideally we want to do the kind of work we cannot do here in England .. i.e. Beach / Sun / Fruit Picking jobs but at the same time we are not fussed as long as we get the chance to experience Oz !

We are due to land in Cairns on the 5th March 2013 and staying in a hotel for the first week of our travels.

Eventually we plan to travel from Northern Australia to Eastern/Southern and eventually round to Perth over the year.

Just wondered if anyone had any answers or helpful advice for the questions below ?

* Any recommended Sharehouses /Hostels in Cairns (and generally Australia ) that are ideal for couples ? i,e. Double room with shared bathrooms? But still cheap enough for backpackers ?

*Whats the best mobile network to get on once we are out there? Preferably pay as you go ?

*Are there any websites that are good and worth signing up to for help finding work ? i.e wwoofing

*Places we shouldn't leave without seeing ?

* Is it worth taking our £GBP out to Oz and exchanging it out there or is the exchange rate better before we go ?

* Best way to travel from town to town and costs ?

Also anything else that might spring to your mind to help us would be great :)

Thanks in advance !

Lee

:wink:

The cheapest way to travel over distances is by coach (greyhound is one company). Train travel over the same kind of distances is incredibly expensive & most to it for the experience rather than a method of getting from A to B. You might find that a year isn't long enough to travel & see everything you want to see. My parents are 18 months into their 10 years long tour!

You could take AU$ with you, and transfer the rest into the bank account you've already set up. Check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com for info on international transfers.

If you've got hotel sorted before you go, take the time to get local knowledge about backpacker accommodation. I don't know about websites, but gumtree has loads of scams so maybe local papers etc when you get there?

The 'must see' will be personal as it depends on what you're into. Grab a lonely planet or rough guide & get excited!

Enjoy your adventure!

I found using Lebra sim cards was the cheapest all round as you can phone Britain for 3cents a minute and they're also cheap within Auzzie too.

My highlights were in W.A, 4x4 driving through the Gibb River Road was something not many do any was exquisit.

Also if your around Broome you can get a job in Malcolm Douglas's Crocodile farm as he takes backpackers in season work. That job for me changed everything.

I never found any scams on Gumtree but maybe I was luck. I used it all the time, from jobs, vehicals, travels buddies and appartments.

If you intend on staying in a city for a while then getting shared accomodation is far cheaper then any hostel. Or you can try couch surfing on http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Enjoy yourselves, its a life changing trip!

Check out gumtree for sharehouse and accomadtion. Cairns is a lot cheaper for accom than the rest of australia esp the cities you will be looking at maybe $100-$150 between you a week! Where as sydney my partner and I paid #$360 in a 3 bed share house!

Greyhound and premier are the best bus c ompanies.. premier is cheaper but only run once a day.. grehound run around 3 times a day.

Theres a woofing book you can buy called wwoof I think or go into a local backpacker travel place and you can get a free harvest guide. Also check out the harvest travel website and gumtree.