The reason some Brits absolutely love Aus whereas others loathe it*

Harpodom

I can second that being here 30 years and the honeymoon is over !

We are retired but we were working class and from the North -hubby was a bricklayer in his day Yes he was classed as a tradie but he did learn to diversify and never ripped anyone off -we call a spade a spade and thats it

I must admit I have found more snobs in Oz than I ever have in the UK and as for sense of humour there is not one -the north east sense of humour is dry and witty goes straight over an Aussies head

try living west of Sydney. when I HAVE to go to the city, I've had to deal with more people with plooms in their mouths than I ever had to in the UK and when I say I live in western sydney...OMG, I've just spat on them. and they call the Brits snobs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Spent school years languishing in the back of the class

• Left school at 15 and became a tradie.

• Absolutely love Aus

However unlike my old aussie mates I don't prance around town wearing my hi-vis and steel toe boots like some kind of badge of honour. I used to get some funny looks after work when I used to wash and change into clean clothes after work. I remember an old Welsh bricky I worked with in London that would scrub up so well after work that he looked like a city gent as he set off home.

I look at some of the tradies now UK and Aus that seem to relish being covered in sh!t and cant wait to get down the titty bar to show the world that they are a tradie..?

And I have to share a train with some of them, stinking of sweat, filthy, loud, spread across 2 seats and wouldnt dream of moving, theyd rather everyone stand. My ex was a tradie and like you, would wash up and actually put a clean top on before he'd head home (and he drove home).

I am just imagining what some members on here would be doing if they could read these posts LOL

Apoplexy on tap!. I can imagine one poster (Harpo knows) who'd be punching his keyboard with fury in response!

• Spent school years languishing in the back of the class

• Left school at 15 and became a tradie.

• Absolutely love Aus

However unlike my old aussie mates I don't prance around town wearing my hi-vis and steel toe boots like some kind of badge of honour. I used to get some funny looks after work when I used to wash and change into clean clothes after work. I remember an old Welsh bricky I worked with in London that would scrub up so well after work that he looked like a city gent as he set off home.

I look at some of the tradies now UK and Aus that seem to relish being covered in sh!t and cant wait to get down the titty bar to show the world that they are a tradie..?

A few more....

* Think Hamish and Andy are the antipodean equivalent of Morecombe and Wise - check

* Would never go further than Bali (for fear of falling off the edge of the world) - check

* Speak / dress like the bloke in the Autobarn adverts - check

* Thinking that a footlong sub constitutes fine dining -check.

OK OK, perhaps I was being overly simplistic! Clearly there are lots of other factors beside class.

I suppose what I am getting at is a few fundemental differences between the two countries.

In Aus, there is a celebration of crassness and mediocrity posing as culture, the main driving force of which is inverse snobbery: no one wants to be seen as 'up themselves', everyone wants to be seen as a battler doing it tough, the hard yards, all that bollocks. They eschew the esoteric in favour of the moronic: how else would eddie maguire have become the man he is today?

IMO this appeals those with a massive chip on their shoulder, you know, the sort who think that reading is for pooftas, dressing up means wearing shoes and socks but is only done under duress, foreign holidays means Kuta (or Gallipoli: the Aussie equivalent of the Haj), why would you wanna go to Europe? Its full of wogs and poofs reading poetry!

Getting back to the working class thing, it would be hard to deny that there is a HUGE difference in the status of tradies in the 2 countries; here it is a badge of honour, evidence that you're a bloody bloke. Blokes even choose to wear hi viz on their day off, as if to say "I'm never off the tools, me". Even blokes in more 'gay' jobs like teaching and healthcare like to ham it up at the weekend with their hi viz and their ute down at Bunnings, as if they want people to think they too are tradies.

No one wants to be seen as 'up themselves,' yet it's a country which relentlessly propagandises about how great it is, how stoic it's people are, how everybody wants what they've got. Slight contradiction at work here?!!

The old cliche about a chip on both shoulders is sadly true. Prior to coming out here my Australian OH saw the Sydney Olympics as a defining moment for Australia as a maturing nation, comfortable at last with it's troubled past. Really?. Check out some of the mean-spirited anti-British media during the Olympics (I'm talking about you David Koch), the sly digs about British royals, Kathy Lette's sh*te in the Daily Mail. But any suggestion within the international media that Australia has problems with ingrained racism - 'Hey Hey It's Saturday?' - and they're told to shut up and keep their nose out. Yeah, they've really come on and matured in the past thirteen years haven't they?

Why leave this country, it's the greatest in the world, a previous premier said so, so it must be true right?. How much questioning of these assertions goes on, how many myths like 'mateship*' and 'the fair go*' are questioned by the rank and file?. I don't see the media putting these notions under the microscope much. It's intellectual laziness, a refusal to look close up at the country and say "Yeah, maybe our critics have a point." Instead we're assured that "it's all good," the biggest cop-out there is in the face of political inertia and rampant protectionism which fleeces consumers whilst wrapping itself in an Australian flag.

All this and the endless machismo. The tats, the baseball caps, the letting your dog drive you home because he's slightly more sober than you are. It never ends. Australian men are given a free pass by the nation's media to behave as boorishly and uncommunicatively as possible because that's what Aussie blokes do right?. Being emotionally available to your partner? - "too busy mate, I'm on the tools at 7:00 a.m"., spend quality time with the kids? - "well I took him fishing, it's not my problem that he didn't like it etc."

Nothing will change here, at least not until the current male-dominated White-European hegemony within Australia is replaced by something else which requires something more. Something which requires seeing your country as capable of making mistakes, of intellectual curiosity, humility, originality of thought and the confidence to be honest enough to say "we're not the best country in the world, we're just struggling to make sense of this crazy world, just like everyone else."

Then they might have something.

* The terms mateship and the fair go are used with the kind permission of Unfair Dinkum Industries, Dunmoanin, Victoria. All rights reserved.

I agree with Verystormy, I think it mainly depends on someone's mindset and individual perception of the place and/or people.

Personally I find this place very superficial, lacks depth, crass and harsh on the eye.... and at times, 'in my face', and these are some of the many reasons I loathe it here.

Can you imagine sat eating out somewhere in the UK with your dirty work overalls on, the kids in pyjamas and the beaut clinically obese wife in UGGS that look like she had to wrestle them off the dog, oh and that would be a staffi. Give me strength

You took the words from me, so true what you have said.

You wouldent be allowed in many places looking like that in the UK.

Can you just picture it?

Nothing could of prepared me for that sight, we are still shocked at how they go out.They make me feel sick, dirty,dirty people.

The filthy feet get me as well. I cant beleive places like Bunnings allow them in with nothing on thier feet.There were 3 little kids in there the other day running around , with bare filthy feet,,,,Health and Safety????

And then to go to the supermarket and the filthy little ferals are standing in the shopping trolley with thier filthy feet and snotty faces,,,,Mmmm makes me really want to use a shopping trolley ,,,,not.Then you see them climbing up on the shopping conveyor belt,and the checkout girl is laughing and talking to them, Does no-one have any hygiene in this bloody place???

We have a nickname for the women down here "Bush-pigs", it seemed quite apt:)

Edited by Sapphire
added text

[/b]

No one wants to be seen as 'up themselves,' yet it's a country which relentlessly propagandises about how great it is, how stoic it's people are, how everybody wants what they've got. Slight contradiction at work here?!!

The old cliche about a chip on both shoulders is sadly true. Prior to coming out here my Australian OH saw the Sydney Olympics as a defining moment for Australia as a maturing nation, comfortable at last with it's troubled past. Really?. Check out some of the mean-spirited anti-British media during the Olympics (I'm talking about you David Koch), the sly digs about British royals, Kathy Lette's sh*te in the Daily Mail. But any suggestion within the international media that Australia has problems with ingrained racism - 'Hey Hey It's Saturday?' - and they're told to shut up and keep their nose out. Yeah, they've really come on and matured in the past thirteen years haven't they?

Why leave this country, it's the greatest in the world, a previous premier said so, so it must be true right?. How much questioning of these assertions goes on, how many myths like 'mateship*' and 'the fair go*' are questioned by the rank and file?. I don't see the media putting these notions under the microscope much. It's intellectual laziness, a refusal to look close up at the country and say "Yeah, maybe our critics have a point." Instead we're assured that "it's all good," the biggest cop-out there is in the face of political inertia and rampant protectionism which fleeces consumers whilst wrapping itself in an Australian flag.

All this and the endless machismo. The tats, the baseball caps, the letting your dog drive you home because he's slightly more sober than you are. It never ends. Australian men are given a free pass by the nation's media to behave as boorishly and uncommunicatively as possible because that's what Aussie blokes do right?. Being emotionally available to your partner? - "too busy mate, I'm on the tools at 7:00 a.m"., spend quality time with the kids? - "well I took him fishing, it's not my problem that he didn't like it etc."

Nothing will change here, at least not until the current male-dominated White-European hegemony within Australia is replaced by something else which requires something more. Something which requires seeing your country as capable of making mistakes, of intellectual curiosity, humility, originality of thought and the confidence to be honest enough to say "we're not the best country in the world, we're just struggling to make sense of this crazy world, just like everyone else."

Then they might have something.

* The terms mateship and the fair go are used with the kind permission of Unfair Dinkum Industries, Dunmoanin, Victoria. All rights reserved.

Brilliantly put. I often worried and been scared that if i stayed here i would lose my grip of the English language, using words containing more than four letters and knowing what they mean, being embarrssed when i would try and add to a conversation using words they had never heard and could not comprehend, you are then deemed to be a clever dick and who do you think you are. Sadly this includes "educated" GP's within a general practice whose education deems them to be better than me and anyway "all poms are arogant bastrads". The answer is to work in silence as their banal conversations have you wishing you were deaf.

Brilliantly put. I often worried and been scared that if i stayed here i would lose my grip of the English language, using words containing more than four letters and knowing what they mean, being embarrssed when i would try and add to a conversation using words they had never heard and could not comprehend, you are then deemed to be a clever dick and who do you think you are. Sadly this includes "educated" GP's within a general practice whose education deems them to be better than me and anyway "all poms are arogant bastrads". The answer is to work in silence as their banal conversations have you wishing you were deaf.

Oh do tell!

I was talking a while ago, to a woman,,,just general chit chat, and I made the silly mistake, of mentioning what had been going on in Libyia, with Gaddafi being captured and killed,,,,,,she looked blankly at me and said "who is Gaddifi ?"

I sort of tried to explain, but I think it went far beyond any level of intelligence she may of had, and she looked very blank.

This was a Nurse, so you would of thought she would of had some basic knowledge,,,how wrong I was.

I havent tried to discuss world affairs , since :)

Unless it happened in Australia, they are simply not interested.

Can you imagine sat eating out somewhere in the UK with your dirty work overalls on, the kids in pyjamas and the beaut clinically obese wife in UGGS that look like she had to wrestle them off the dog, oh and that would be a staffi. Give me strength

I had to give this comment more than just a 'like'. You obviously have been in my local shopping centre on a Thursday night

I was talking a while ago, to a woman,,,just general chit chat, and I made the silly mistake, of mentioning what had been going on in Libyia, with Gaddafi being captured and killed,,,,,,she looked blankly at me and said "who is Gaddifi ?"

I sort of tried to explain, but I think it went far beyond any level of intelligence she may of had, and she looked very blank.

This was a Nurse, so you would of thought she would of had some basic knowledge,,,how wrong I was.

I havent tried to discuss world affairs , since :)

Unless it happened in Australia, they are simply not interested.

Not so long ago, a lunch table conversation with colleagues at work, and up pipes one person 'so you're Irish? Scottish?". I replied Scottish. To which I was then blown away when she looked me square in the eye and said 'Scotland, that's an island somewhere of the south of England isn't it?".

Not so long ago, a lunch table conversation with colleagues at work, and up pipes one person 'so you're Irish? Scottish?". I replied Scottish. To which I was then blown away when she looked me square in the eye and said 'Scotland, that's an island somewhere of the south of England isn't it?".

I was asked very patronisingly And what part of the Emerald Isle are you from -Er England

They do not listen to accents so ask me if I am Irish ,Scot or Welsh ?? I just tell them I come from the North East of England where we got raped and pillaged by everyone lol

[QUOTE=Thistle13;1936110980]Not so long ago, a lunch table conversation with colleagues at work, and up pipes one person 'so you're Irish? Scottish?". I replied Scottish. To which I was then blown away when she looked me square in the eye and said 'Scotland, that's an island somewhere of the south of England isn't it?".

Not surprised in the slightest. My manager is a university-educated woman in her 30's who asked me if Spain was in Europe.

[Not surprised in the slightest. My manager is a university-educated woman in her 30's who asked me if Spain was in Europe.[/quote

Australian 'educated' I presume........geography in school would be limited to Australia, since there isn't anywhere else worth mentioning, other than discussion about changing the flag because it reminds Aussies of their connection to that place where whingers, the Beatles and Princess Di come from. Ahhhhh that place.

I was asked very patronisingly And what part of the Emerald Isle are you from -Er England

They do not listen to accents so ask me if I am Irish ,Scot or Welsh ?? I just tell them I come from the North East of England where we got raped and pillaged by everyone lol

I've been asked loads if I'm Irish......eh no, I'm Scottish!! There's simply no mixing the 2 accents up I mean...come on :)

[Not surprised in the slightest. My manager is a university-educated woman in her 30's who asked me if Spain was in Europe.[/quote

Australian 'educated' I presume........geography in school would be limited to Australia, since there isn't anywhere else worth mentioning, other than discussion about changing the flag because it reminds Aussies of their connection to that place where whingers, the Beatles and Princess Di come from. Ahhhhh that place.

Thats very true. I dont think they learn about world geography or world history at school. No-one seems to have any knowledge of anything outside of Australia.

That could be why they are totaly disinterested in anything else, they are taught from a young age, that Australia is the world, and thats all they need to know about.

I sometimes wonder how some of these people get through life,with no general knowledge, and very little common sense.

Thats very true. I dont think they learn about world geography or world history at school. No-one seems to have any knowledge of anything outside of Australia.

That could be why they are totaly disinterested in anything else, they are taught from a young age, that Australia is the world, and thats all they need to know about.

I sometimes wonder how some of these people get through life,with no general knowledge, and very little common sense.

At the risk of sounding (ironically) like Skani, maybe that's true of Tasmania, but it doesnt really fit with my own experiences here in Geelong TBH.

My son was in prep grade last year and they did a fair bit of stuff around other countries and cultures. He was learning Italian too. OK he only learnt a few words in 1 year but he's only 6!

If we stay here for his secondary education, we will probably send to him to Kardinia International College, which as the name suggests, fully embraces multiculturalism and does the IB instead of VCE.

I've been asked loads if I'm Irish......eh no, I'm Scottish!! There's simply no mixing the 2 accents up I mean...come on :)

thats because there IS no accent here.....is it just me, or is there no difference between the States in relation to accents here. I mean, in Scotland alone, people know if you were raised half an hour doon the road from them.