Brisbane Secondary Schools for Dyslexic 12 year old

The Manning Family

Hello

We have been granted skilled migrant visas and hope to move to Australia in Dec13/Jan 14 to coincide with my 12 year old son starting secondary school. He is dyslexic so we are looking for a good school that will offer him the support that he needs (and currently gets in the UK). We also have a 9 year old daughter. Can anyone recommend a good school in the Brisbane area?

Many thanks

Hazel

You are unlikely to get any additional support for dyslexia - AFAIK it isnt recognized for disability funding in any state. All schools have a small amount of discretionary spending which they use for remedial class support but it is limited and nothing like an IEP based process which he would be getting in UK if he has a statement. Schools are pretty much of a muchness so you will need to get your accommodation sorted and then approach schools - the local school is obliged to find him a place. If he has had a psychoeducational assessment (current within 2 years) then bring all that with you but, unless he has an intellectual disability or one of the pervasive developmental disorders, he isnt going to get anything special.

• 3 months later...
Schools are pretty much of a muchness so you will need to get your accommodation sorted and then approach schools .

I don't agree with this at all. I think the schools are the important thing to get right with a family and think the research you are doing is vital - good luck with it.

Are there any support forums for dyslexia in Brisbane/Queensland? That might be a good place to start for recommendations. Also do a search on fb for some of the mum's groups to ask for advice. There is nothing that means local people's knowledge.

You are unlikely to get any additional support for dyslexia - AFAIK it isnt recognized for disability funding in any state. All schools have a small amount of discretionary spending which they use for remedial class support but it is limited and nothing like an IEP based process which he would be getting in UK if he has a statement. Schools are pretty much of a muchness so you will need to get your accommodation sorted and then approach schools - the local school is obliged to find him a place. If he has had a psychoeducational assessment (current within 2 years) then bring all that with you but, unless he has an intellectual disability or one of the pervasive developmental disorders, he isnt going to get anything special.

I agree with Quoll. The level of support that you may be receiving in the UK s likely to be a lot less here and there is not as much funding.

I don't agree with this at all. I think the schools are the important thing to get right with a family and think the research you are doing is vital - good luck with it.

Are there any support forums for dyslexia in Brisbane/Queensland? That might be a good place to start for recommendations. Also do a search on fb for some of the mum's groups to ask for advice. There is nothing that means local people's knowledge.

Schools tend to reflect the suburb in which it is situated - if you wouldn't want to live in a suburb you wouldn't want to send your kids there as a general rule. Accommodation is usually subject to a whole load of other limitations - cost, accessibility, facilities, availability etc however government schools don't have much special provision for kids with learning difficulties and they use their resources as best they can. Dyslexia doesn't get much of a guernsey in Aus schools as I said, because it doesn't attract disability funding. Private schools may well do better!

Schools tend to reflect the suburb in which it is situated - if you wouldn't want to live in a suburb you wouldn't want to send your kids there as a general rule. Accommodation is usually subject to a whole load of other limitations - cost, accessibility, facilities, availability etc however government schools don't have much special provision for kids with learning difficulties and they use their resources as best they can. Dyslexia doesn't get much of a guernsey in Aus schools as I said, because it doesn't attract disability funding. Private schools may well do better!

That makes more sense so thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure about the whether private schools do it better or not. I know a couple of families around here who have struggled in private schools as their children (with ASD) actually got far better support in the public system and the state schools were far more aware of the issues and used to dealing with them. Can't comment on dyslexia though unfortunately.

I can say that picking the right school can make a world of difference though. I have been spending some time in 2 state schools with units/classes for one special needs group, and the set up is absolutely worlds apart as are the attitudes. I would assume that they would have similar funding structures.

I would say it's definitely worth doing research before plumping for an area - regardless of how good it is. Some schools do seem to be genuinely "better" at supporting children with learning difficulties.

Robina State School on the Gold Coast is accredited as a dyslexia friendly school: https://robinass.eq.edu.au/Supportandresources/Formsanddocuments/Documents/Robina-ADA-dyslexia-friendly-school.pdf

Samford State School in Brisbane has a dyslexia group: https://samfordss.eq.edu.au/Supportandresources/Studentservicesandsupportprograms/Pages/Dyslexia-support-group.aspx

Maybe you could contact these schools to find out which high schools they recommend?

Edited by fish.01

If your child has dyslexia then they are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (1992) under specific learning disability. At a minimum this means they can have additional time in all tests and exams at school and possibility the use of a computer. I suggest you get in touch with SPELD QLD - http://www.speld.org.au/home who should be able to provide advice. It depends on the individual high school as to how much support your child will receive. in Years 8-10 then small group tuition is often offered instead of the requirement to study a foreign language. Your best bet is to go with individual tuition out of school.

• 2 months later...

Hi eveyone. Thanks for your comments. We visited Brisbane back in May and went to see Wynnym High School. We were told that Dyslexia is not a recognised disability in QLD (although it is in some other states) so our son would not get any help. He may get a lesson a week with other children with disabilities but no more. Here in the UK he gets approx 15 hours a week support and many of his lessons have 2 teaching assistants on hand to help. We visited a school in NSW as well and both schools only have 2 teaching assistants for the entire school which highlights the differences between the 2 systems (ie here and in Australia). We were advised by the QLD school to look at Catholic schools as these may be able to offer more in the way of support.

It is a registered disability in Queensland but I think that may be a recent change. The regulatory body wouldn't accept our dyslexia diagnosis from the UK so we had to undergo it again at a high expense. My children attend Catholic schools in the Western suburbs and they have been brilliant with all learning disabilities. My eldest, who is 15, has dyslexia as well as other learning disabilities and she is doing incredibly well here and receives excellent assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
It is a registered disability in Queensland but I think that may be a recent change. The regulatory body wouldn't accept our dyslexia diagnosis from the UK so we had to undergo it again at a high expense. My children attend Catholic schools in the Western suburbs and they have been brilliant with all learning disabilities. My eldest, who is 15, has dyslexia as well as other learning disabilities and she is doing incredibly well here and receives excellent assistance.

Hi Can you tell me the name of the School your 15 year old attends, am looking for a school for my dyslexic son.

Thanks

Nigel & Kathy

My autistic son went here: http://www.mmcp.qld.edu.au/curriculum/Pages/Learning-Environment.aspx

I have nothing but the highest regard for this school who take about 25% of their enrolments from kids with disabilities. Small class sizes upwards to 15 kids and very reasonable fees. They kept my son on as a teachers aide when he finished year 12............something we never dreamed of, as he was "well out of it" (for want of better words), when we enrolled him there

• 1 year later...

Hi Katherine

This is an old post not sure if you will get answer. If you have Facebook this is the Dyslexic group on the Gold Coast you may get a answer from them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gcdyslexia/

I know that Robina state school is dyslexic friendly https://robinass.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx and Silkwood private school http://www.silkwood.qld.edu.au/ there maybe others.

Nigel.