Need help with your vetassess electrical practical assessment....my experience

Ramsay

On 2/2/2013 at 01:15, Ramsay said:

Hi

I used this forum lots to prepare me for my practical assessment. Havin passed I thought it would try and pass on some info.

There are 4 parts to the day

1) Electrical Installation

2) Written exam

3) Safe isolation/disconnect - reconnect

4) DOL motor control circuit

1) The first part is defo the easiest, just like a shortened version of the AM2. My tip is to look at the drawing and draw the installation on the board first, using the correct measurements. You will be required to test your installation afterwards and fill out a test sheet.

2) The written exam can be difficult, it's all about trying to remember what you did back at college.

here are some example questions:

- a coil of wire exhibits self inductance. Inductance is measured in ?

- the peak value of a sine wave with a rms value of 7.07 volts AC is ?

- a lagging power factor indicates that the circuit is ?

- Two 1.7 kw heating elements connected in parallel to a 230v supply will draw a current of ?

- Two inductors with inductive reactance of 0.20 ohms and 0.52 ohms are connected series. The total inductive reactance is ?

these questions are all multiple guess but I don't remember what the 4 options were.

3) disconnect/reconnect (safe isolation) is probably the most difficult part of the day, just because that its process that everything has to be done in order. If its not you will lose points or could fail it instantly.

4) DOL...you only need to concentrate on the control side of the circuit. The motor is already connected and just requires you to make the links between the certain connections. You also have to connect a remote stop/start. There is basically a board fitted with all the components and using a pre made male lead, connect each end into the female plugs on the board. Just work through the system methodically and you will be fine. At the end you will have to walk away whilst the assessor puts a fault on the circuit, then return and find and correct the fault. In some instances it may be easy to just pull all the cables out and start again (if you struggling to find the fault). After this you will be required to draw the control circuit that you have just wired using the symbols that are one the sheet.

Im not going to lie, it's a very intense day. The assessors are not wanting you to fail but they obviously can spot a blagger. I was fortunate enough to pass first time but appreciated the help massively from sites like this.

best of luck

thanks for this important info for us.

Can someone please guide me that where from can i get study topics n notes for written exam.

regards

prabh

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and will be scheduled for the TRA assessment for Electricians (general) soon. Im already getting good information about the Vetasses from this thread and I am happy to be here on time. 

Can someone tell me the difference between the Vetasses and TRA? Or are they essentially the same in terms of test questions?

Please, someone with useful information on this?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and will be scheduled for the TRA assessment for Electricians (general) soon. Im already getting good information about the Vetasses from this thread and I am happy to be here on time. 
Can someone tell me the difference between the Vetasses and TRA? Or are they essentially the same in terms of test questions?
Thank you for your help.
Hi Mikey.

I sat my assessment with future skills international at the down under centre in London.

I can give you pointers from mine but it maybe slightly different as yours is with a alternatively provider.

• Like 1

Hi leighmarsh151084

im doing my assement on Sunday and wondered if you could give me some tips? I hear the hardest part is the safe isolation. Are you allowed to have the steps written down in front of you or do you have to know it off by heart? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

It was an actual question in my theory paper as well. So worth knowing it. Worth some hefty marks too if i remember correctly. He didn’t actually watch me do it specifically he just watched what i did with the install board and threw in a few questions. 

DOL can be tricky if your not doing em regular. You have to draw the circuit out first and then go connect it up show it working. Most switches are pre wired with fly leads. Just got to wire in the hold on contacts and the overload.

Trades Recognition Australia are the assessing body for Electricians. Future skills and Vetassess are two organisations that have a contract to carry out the assessments in UK on behalf of TRA. They have to cover essentially the same elements but can put their own little twist on it.

Vetassess are in Blackburn and Future Skills in London.

Wow! Thanks a lot guys...

From what I got from my migration agent, I will have to fly down to S.A from my home country for theTRA practical assessment, thus don't want to waste time and money at the end of the day. 

I don't want to leave any stone unturned so I'm exploring every possible source of information regarding the assessment procedures and possible questions.

Please guys, I really depend on this thread so pls post any useful info. That will greatly help. 

Anyone else who have successfully passed the TRA practicals?  Pls share your experiences. 

Cheers all.  

Edited by Mickey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 15/02/2019 at 18:44, Mickey said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

hello , can you share the experience please.?

On 16/03/2019 at 23:27, Pintupatel said:

I was completed my electrical practical assessment date 10 February from vetassess. but still not recived result. Anyone help me howmuch time take maximum.

hi Pintu , Can you please share the experience about the test