Need help with your vetassess electrical practical assessment....my experience

Ramsay

Hi

I used this forum lots to prepare me for my practical assessment. Havin passed I thought it would try and pass on some info.

There are 4 parts to the day

1) Electrical Installation

2) Written exam

3) Safe isolation/disconnect - reconnect

4) DOL motor control circuit

1) The first part is defo the easiest, just like a shortened version of the AM2. My tip is to look at the drawing and draw the installation on the board first, using the correct measurements. You will be required to test your installation afterwards and fill out a test sheet.

2) The written exam can be difficult, it's all about trying to remember what you did back at college.

here are some example questions:

- a coil of wire exhibits self inductance. Inductance is measured in ?

- the peak value of a sine wave with a rms value of 7.07 volts AC is ?

- a lagging power factor indicates that the circuit is ?

- Two 1.7 kw heating elements connected in parallel to a 230v supply will draw a current of ?

- Two inductors with inductive reactance of 0.20 ohms and 0.52 ohms are connected series. The total inductive reactance is ?

these questions are all multiple guess but I don't remember what the 4 options were.

3) disconnect/reconnect (safe isolation) is probably the most difficult part of the day, just because that its process that everything has to be done in order. If its not you will lose points or could fail it instantly.

4) DOL...you only need to concentrate on the control side of the circuit. The motor is already connected and just requires you to make the links between the certain connections. You also have to connect a remote stop/start. There is basically a board fitted with all the components and using a pre made male lead, connect each end into the female plugs on the board. Just work through the system methodically and you will be fine. At the end you will have to walk away whilst the assessor puts a fault on the circuit, then return and find and correct the fault. In some instances it may be easy to just pull all the cables out and start again (if you struggling to find the fault). After this you will be required to draw the control circuit that you have just wired using the symbols that are one the sheet.

Im not going to lie, it's a very intense day. The assessors are not wanting you to fail but they obviously can spot a blagger. I was fortunate enough to pass first time but appreciated the help massively from sites like this.

best of luck

Hi, Ramsey very helpful info just wanted to know how many questions in the written exam and how long do you get for this section?

Just had confirmation that I can proceed to my practical assessment so will be booking on the next available one.many thanks in advance for any help.

Grant

Hi, Ramsey very helpful info just wanted to know how many questions in the written exam and how long do you get for this section?

Just had confirmation that I can proceed to my practical assessment so will be booking on the next available one.many thanks in advance for any help.

Grant

There are 20 questions in total and you need 15 (75%) to achieve a pass. Officially the test lasts 1 hour but the examiners are helpful with there time keeping

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

New to the Forum. Just wondering if there is anyone who have sat the Practical Vetassess Exam recently? I have mine at the Blackburn Center at the end of may and was wondering is the format had changed from last year. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Just checked my Vetassess account online and ive PASSED!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread as without the information on here you are going into the assessment unprepared.

A tip for anyone taking the assessment is to read through the info on this thread and PREPARE!!!!

For all Electricians waiting to take the Practical the biggest piece of advise i can give is to read all the information in this thread and prepare. Below is a description of each section of the Vetassess practical Exam.

Safe Isolation/Disconnection/Reconnection

The scenario given was an electrical heater in a kitchen had given someone a shock and we were there to check it. All i can say in this is to read the procedure given to you in the candidate booklet and learn it all by heart. I wrote the scenario in the candidate guide a couple of times until i was able to write it step by step without looking in the guide. This is a good way of memorizing the procedure how they want to see it. Remember to test your testers every time before and after you use them and also to check the appliance frame to ensure it is not live before starting. Before you reconnect the appliance you were required to test the CPC continuity and insulation resistance noting the maximum values allowed, your results and then pass or fail. I heard the assessor throw in a couple of additional scenarios to some of the other lads such as your boss is phoning you and you need to go outside to take the call. He was trying to see if you left the installation in a dangerous condition i.e exposed live connections or you hadnt locked off the mcb and left your warning signs on.

Motor

Firstly the assessor will write into your work book either star or delta. Once he has written down which one you are required to draw out the symbol for the motor connections and identify the winding connections i.e u1, u2, v1, v2, w1, w2. Next step was to draw out the connections for the given motor i.e star is L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U2 - V2 and for Delta L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U1, U2 - V1, V2 - W1. After you have done this you have to label up 4 components in the control circuit which were start, stop, thermal overload, and a normally open contact (Revise what the symbols look like) and then draw out the DOL motor control circuit using the symbols and make sure you number the connections as i did that and the assessor was pleased i had done it and it shows you have knowledge of motor control circuits. Once you had filled in your workbook as above you was taken over to a whiteboard with the motor control components fixed on and you were to wire the control circuit you had drawn out with plug in leads. Once you have proved the circuit is correct and it works the assessor will put a fault on the control circuit. Mine was the start and stop connections were switched so the connections 1 & 2 became my start and 3 & 4 became my stop. You got a bell set so i found this be belling out the pin connections to the contacts. I can honestly say this is the section i dreaded most but i read all the info given and revised the drawing schematics on this thread and i can say i found it quite straight forward. There was a guy who said to the assessor i dont know anything about motors and i think he didnt get far with the drawing. I dont do much motor installation at work but i revised and found it easy so the tip is revise.

Multiple Choice Exam

This section is self explanatory. You have six sections of 4 questions where you are required to get 3 out of 4 in each section. The book for electrical calculations level 2 and 3 are highly recommended for your revision. It will also help if you can transpose equations also as there were a couple of questions where this was required and i struggled with. All equations/formulas were given at the back of your workbook.

Practical

First thing you do is do a risk assessment in your workbook of all the tasks carried out i.e safe isolation, motor, and the practical. Then you start with the Very straight forward practical installation section. Conusmer unit with a straight piece of PVC conduit to a socket outlet wired in a 2.5mm radial, lighting circuit with 2 x 2 way switches partially wired in T&E Cable clipped direct and partially in 1.5mm singles in PVC conduit. Between the switches you are to do a double set in your PVC conduit as there is a difference in height of your switches by 50mm. Practice bending PVC conduit as you do not get a vice or former you bend it over your knee. Main Earth is a mm taken from a copper pipe which is acting as your earth electrode. Once you have completed the installation you are required to test earth continuity and insulation resistance of the installation and note your readings, also stating minimum values acceptable and if it passess or fails. Then its time to power up and check you have wired your lighting circuit correctly and your switches operate correctly. Once the assessor takes measurements of the installation ensuring you have followed the drawing given you are told to disconnect the supply and strip it all out.

The day was very intense and i was bricking it but if you prepare you will walk it. The assessor was really nice and approachable and he is accompanied by a local expert which is a tutor from the college. The college tutor is the one who does the safe isolation procedure and he throws in the odd hint about making sure you test the appliance before starting and once re energized.

Good luck to everyone taking the assessment and remember FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL! thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Am new to this forum. Good to see so many people passing. I have my practical booked in for two weeks time. Just wandering where you got your study notes from. Am pretty confident on all the parts except for the motor as I havent done a great deal with them.

Any help would be great.

Brett

Hi Brett,

All the info for the motor is available on-line if you google it. Follow the guidelines on what to expect in my post above and ensure you can carry out the tasks i detailed which were part of the motor section of the assessment. Like i said this was the section i dreaded most but in all honestly it was the easiest part of the day, so as long as you swat up on Motor connections and control circuits you will be fine.

• 7 months later...

Hello, please could anyone help me with my VETASSESS paperwork that I need to complete before my exam this Thursday? How much detail do I need to include for each section? I am going to choose Elective 1 as I have experience in this area, but not sure how much I should write for each system, or how many systems to talk about? Does anyone have an example, or anything they could share with me to get me on the right track. Thank you in advance.

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

I'm preparing for the vetassess electrical practical assessment and was wondering if somebody could clarify some of my questions.

1. Does anyone know if the disconnection / re-connection procedure in the Vetassess guide booklet has to be followed step by step?

When I read through the disconnection process I recognised that the protective device should be isolated in step 16 and not at the beginning.

Wouldn't it be safer to de-energise the equipment conductors first and preform all measurements afterwards?

2. What are your experience with the PEES document? Did you fill in as much as possible or only the basics?

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may be able to help!

Cheers,

Andy

1. Does anyone know if the disconnection / re-connection procedure in the Vetassess guide booklet has to be followed step by step?

When I read through the disconnection process I recognised that the protective device should be isolated in step 16 and not at the beginning.

Wouldn't it be safer to de-energise the equipment conductors first and preform all measurements afterwards?

Do the Safe Isolation Procedure Exactly as per the document provided. In my scenario i was presented with a spur that was required to be isolated, and a Distribution Board which was not local to the Spur. The reason you do not isolate first is that they want to see you follow all the correct procedures of identifying the circuit, proving your test equipment is functional, and most importantly you do not walk away from the "spur" to isolate a circuit in the distribution board and leaving exposed live parts for an unskilled person to come into contact with. Also look out for any curve balls they throw at you while you are working as i seen a couple of lads fall for "your boss is phoning you and you need to leave the site and go outside to speak to him" which they all did laving the front cover off a live fused spur.

2. What are your experience with the PEES document? Did you fill in as much as possible or only the basics?

If this is the Electives then from Memory you only complete the sections required which i think is one from each section? Some people only wrote a small paragraph for each, whereas i wrote 2 pages for mine and also provided evidence such as drawings and test sheets. Its down to you how much info you provided but i went on the safe side and wrote as much as i could. Also remember that the Electives are handed in prior to the assessment. Some lads on my Assessment time slot had not completed theirs and wasted some practical time writing theirs out.

Hope this helps,

Regards Ian

I didn't do my assessment with vetassess as futureskills was more convenient and offered the assessment dates more often. when I completed my practical assessment we just carried out the safe isolation procedure as per uk regs. Everything we did was as per UK Regs as we were being tested on UK soil. The test is not there to test your knowledge of Australian regulations it is to test your ability to work as an electrician and provide proof that you are an electrician in your country of origin. When you get to Australia you have to complete the GAP training anyway so that is where you will be expected to learn and be tested on Australian regs. If you were completing this test in Australia then you would be expected to know the Australian regs as you are completing it on Australian soil. There were a few parts of the exam that our examiner said we were to disregard as the examination was created in Australia so was written for their regs but we were to answer the questions using the U.K. Regulations.

I'm guessing you've already approached vetassess but if you haven't I'd seriously consider speaking to the downunder Center and doing it via futureskills. They hold assessments monthly and have an onshore partner in the UK (the downunder Center) who are always on hand to help. They also have a preparation course you can do to ensure that there are no surprises when you get to the exam on what you are going to be asked to do and the format, doesn't teach you anything as you should already know it but it allows you to prepare for what's ahead and relaxes you more for the day ahead. The examination was very easy and very straight forward. A small domestic installation, very basic and the motor control circuit which is also very basic, and a full test of both including a fault scenario. a DOL starter is not something I have done very often since qualifying really but still it was very easy to brush up on old knowledge and complete the exam.

Edited by Skyba

My Assessment with Vetassess was at Blackburn College in the UK but was carried out by a Vetassess Member from Oz who was a spark. Questions in the Multiple choice exam were written by an Aussie as they used words such as Globe instead on Lamp. As i said i would follow their safe isolation procedure as they provide it for a reason. Learn it step by step from memory and you cannot go wrong.

Hi Ian,

Do you may remember what you wrote on the first page of the practical experience summary document regarding:

Manage Risks and Hazards / Minimise material usage / Apply energy reduction methods /

Manage the recycling and safe disposal of materials used in electrical installation wiring work

I have to state the dates, country where the experience occurred and describe the experience in each area.

It would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Andy

I didn't do my assessment with vetassess as futureskills was more convenient and offered the assessment dates more often. when I completed my practical assessment we just carried out the safe isolation procedure as per uk regs. Everything we did was as per UK Regs as we were being tested on UK soil. The test is not there to test your knowledge of Australian regulations it is to test your ability to work as an electrician and provide proof that you are an electrician in your country of origin. When you get to Australia you have to complete the GAP training anyway so that is where you will be expected to learn and be tested on Australian regs. If you were completing this test in Australia then you would be expected to know the Australian regs as you are completing it on Australian soil. There were a few parts of the exam that our examiner said we were to disregard as the examination was created in Australia so was written for their regs but we were to answer the questions using the U.K. Regulations.

I'm guessing you've already approached vetassess but if you haven't I'd seriously consider speaking to the downunder Center and doing it via futureskills. They hold assessments monthly and have an onshore partner in the UK (the downunder Center) who are always on hand to help. They also have a preparation course you can do to ensure that there are no surprises when you get to the exam on what you are going to be asked to do and the format, doesn't teach you anything as you should already know it but it allows you to prepare for what's ahead and relaxes you more for the day ahead. The examination was very easy and very straight forward. A small domestic installation, very basic and the motor control circuit which is also very basic, and a full test of both including a fault scenario. a DOL starter is not something I have done very often since qualifying really but still it was very easy to brush up on old knowledge and complete the exam.

Thank you Skyba for your input I'll look into it.

[h=1][/h]

Hi Andy,

To Be honest its been almost a year since i did mine so don't remember much that i wrote but ill try and give you some pointers.

Management of Risk and Hazards - Mention things like safe handling of loads, using appropriate PPE for the tasks, carrying out planning of the task (Co-ordination with trades) and also carrying out risk assessments of the area you are working in and also the task at hand.

Minimize Material Usage - I'd put something along the lines of how you value engineered an installation on site which saved time and materials on site.

Apply energy reduction methods - Introduction of PIR sensors in place of switches, Introduction of Daylight Linking for Perimeter Lighting to utilise natural daylight and also introduction of LED lighting. Also replacement of Equipment for newer and more energy efficient versions such as hand dryers.

Manage the recycling and safe disposal of materials used in electrical installation wiring work - Ensuring waste on site is disposed of into designated skips/bins such as metal skips, plastic skips, cable bins. Ensure its mentioned how you managed this on site ensuring the correct disposal is carried out such as tool box talks with colleague's. Also if applicable mention lamp recycling carried out by manufacturers/suppliers where coffins are issued for the safe disposal of lamps.

Hope this helps,

Give me a shout if you need anything else.

Regards

Ian

• 3 months later...

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

Hi Matthew,

The maximum allowable resistance between earth terminal and frame (continuity test) is 0.5 ohm in Western Australia.

The minimum allowable resistance between L and N to earth (IR test) is 1 Mega ohm.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Andy

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2016 at 10:27, Skyba said:

Hi Skyba, I am also doing my  practical next month with Futureskills in Ealing. Thanks for the info you have provided.You mentioned the preparation course, when I called them up, they said, all they offer is a book which I can buy for £50. I was wondering if you can remember where you booked the preparation course? Also, I see a lot of guys are mentioning that it is a good idea to learn the disconnect and reconnect procedures from the candidate book before going to the assessment. What book is this that they are referring to, do they send it to you once you book the course, I am only booking my course tomorrow. Thanks. Mike