Importing a caravan

Bigjohn72

Just to correct you on a few things:

The registration requirements are completely different from state to state.

Every state will, however, need the gas fittings certified if the caravan is not "type approved" to meet relevant standards - this comes from the manufacturer, so it becomes problematic, particularly with second hand caravans.

Regardless of how roadworthy a caravan (or car for that matter) was deemed to be in its home country, it matters nought when it gets to Australia. An MOT certificate is not worth the paper it's written on, for example.

You may want to check carefully how long your UVP in Victoria is for, because I've never heard of any UVP lasting 28 days. I may be wrong but generally UVPs aren't much longer than a week, and usually you need to specify the roads you intend to travel on for your journey. It may be different for caravans though, so I'm happy to stand corrected if that's the case.

For a UVP lasting 28 days, please check the VicRoads webpage at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/UnregisteredVehiclePermit.htm

With respect, I don't believe your posting has corrected any of my opinions.

IMO real-worth is not based on regulations, but something bigger than that. I don't have any gripes with sensible Good-regulations, but detest Bad-regulations. And I detest the people who take extortionate advantage of their captive customers under the guise of "regulations". Don't you think that the $375 quote given to Georgina to certify each appliance is extortionate?

And I still maintain that the extortionate charges around certifying for ADR is used primarily to protect the local vehicle industry. I have seen far more very non-roadworthy rust buckets roaming the roads of VIC in the short time I've been here, than I have ever seen in the UK, so the local regulations are not working IMO.

If the local vehicle industry was not protectionist, we could all have easy access to cheap used Japanese imports like is already the case in NZ, UK, and all the non-protectionist countries on Earth. And the overall cost of vehicles in Oz would come down too.

But if my livelihood was based around this compliance industry, I would naturally support the current status quo.

Edited by ZephynAndy

In reverse order:

My livelihood is based around my customers, not the compliance industry. If there's a cheaper and reliable way of getting things done (that is still legal) then we will choose it. Part of the reason we recommend the person that GeorginaWay's caravan has gone to is because he's been in the car industry for 35+ years, has plenty of connections for the unusual things that often come our way, and charges around $7-800 rather than $2500 as we've seen with other people doing similar work, who really are price gouging new arrivals who don't know any better.

Extortionate charges are partly due to our federal government policies that restrict competition (and bearing mind my company would benefit greatly if that changed, I'd be quite happy for that to change), but mostly due to the fact that with a smaller population comes less competition. In South Australia, for example, there are only 3 engineers in the entire who can sign off on ISOFIX seatbelts, the cheapest of which charges $300 to inspect the car and look for the ISOFIX tags. In Victoria, you have a government heavily geared towards using motorists as cash cows, and therefore it's far more beneficial to fine drivers who are 3km/h over the limit than it is to defect death traps - there's nothing wrong with the regulations, just the way they're enforced.

Yes I have a problem with legislation resulting in silly prices - the $375 per appliance was the price given to the workshop by a licensed gas fitter, not by the workshop themselves. Our guy was reserving judgement until the caravan was in front of him, as he thought it sounded very silly to be charged so much too.

For the UVP, 28 days is the maximum allowed, not how much they will automatically give you. A UVP is meant for specific purposes, not as a replacement for normal registration so you can drive anywhere you like for a month. If you can convince them that you need the permit for 28 days, then good luck to you, but I suspect in practice you'll need to get separate UVPs every time you want to move the van somewhere.

In reverse order:

My livelihood is based around my customers, not the compliance industry. If there's a cheaper and reliable way of getting things done (that is still legal) then we will choose it. Part of the reason we recommend the person that GeorginaWay's caravan has gone to is because he's been in the car industry for 35+ years, has plenty of connections for the unusual things that often come our way, and charges around $7-800 rather than $2500 as we've seen with other people doing similar work, who really are price gouging new arrivals who don't know any better.

Extortionate charges are partly due to our federal government policies that restrict competition (and bearing mind my company would benefit greatly if that changed, I'd be quite happy for that to change), but mostly due to the fact that with a smaller population comes less competition. In South Australia, for example, there are only 3 engineers in the entire who can sign off on ISOFIX seatbelts, the cheapest of which charges $300 to inspect the car and look for the ISOFIX tags. In Victoria, you have a government heavily geared towards using motorists as cash cows, and therefore it's far more beneficial to fine drivers who are 3km/h over the limit than it is to defect death traps - there's nothing wrong with the regulations, just the way they're enforced.

Yes I have a problem with legislation resulting in silly prices - the $375 per appliance was the price given to the workshop by a licensed gas fitter, not by the workshop themselves. Our guy was reserving judgement until the caravan was in front of him, as he thought it sounded very silly to be charged so much too.

For the UVP, 28 days is the maximum allowed, not how much they will automatically give you. A UVP is meant for specific purposes, not as a replacement for normal registration so you can drive anywhere you like for a month. If you can convince them that you need the permit for 28 days, then good luck to you, but I suspect in practice you'll need to get separate UVPs every time you want to move the van somewhere.

VicRoads didn't take much convincing in my case. I simply asked for 28 days and they gave it to me. I found them to be very nice helpful people.

We are probably closer in belief than I might have initially imagined, so just to clarify that I have no specific gripe against any person or entity..... Georgina's quote just happened to be posted recently and so became the example that started this discussion.

My gripe is a generic one, and I know of two people who have been given even far more exorbitant quotes.... $6,000 and $10,000+ respectively.

I reckon that in this skewed market where customers are captive and uncertain of the local regulations in a new country, there is simply no incentive to contain costs, and if left to the market this leads to price gouging as you call it. Business will naturally aim at maximising profit and customers will aim at getting their caravan legally registered as cheaply as possible, which aims are a tad conflicting.

I find it amazing that Oz regulations include no regulatory brake to prevent extortion. By way of example, the UK's MOT system works well in that the Government regulation specifies both the tests to be done and the maximum amount that may be charged for the tests. I think this is a fair regulatory example and food for thought for Oz.

Also we Poms are used to getting onto the web to get accurate and current pricing about almost everything, which practice generally hasn't started in Oz yet.

That's where PIO comes in to help reduce the conflict! The experiences and opinions listed on PIO in this regard can surely only but help give some idea as to what is a fair price for the regulatory work required to make caravans compliant. The postings of others on PIO has helped me, and I am posting on PIO to help others who will follow me.

If you could post what your colleague in QLD believes is a fair price to certify a gas appliance, and a brief summary of what the task entails, that would be a great starting point!

Are you, when taking up permanent residence in Aus, importing a non-motorised caravan to Aus that you have owned and used for more than 12 months, and which will be for your continued personal use in Aus?

If so, then you are able to get customs to clear your caravan free of Import Duty and GST, as it is deemed to be a personal effect.

Happy Caravanning,

Andy

Edited by ZephynAndy

• 2 months later...
Guest sarahmichelle

Has anyone had any problems importing a new caravan into Australia? I bought one from the UK a few years ago and recently wanted to trade it in, but apparently, according to the dealer, it wasn't compliant with Australian requirements so wasn't interested in a trade in!! Has anyone else had this issue????

Guest Guest26110

Hi could someone please tell me if they had to change the coupling head on their caravan and was the breaking system compliant with Aussie standards,..

My caravan is "on it's way" - and don't currently have any plans to sell it - but eventually I may. My understanding is that as long as you have complied with Australian Regulation's - then the caravan can be sold. Maybe speak to another dealer? Also look at the Private Market - you may get better returns.

The trader you contacted may not want to have an European model on his books…I drove past a few dealers in the Sunshine Coast yesterday but didn't see any European models there - but that doesn't mean they won't trade…if they can make money on it - they will buy it...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody importing a caravan into Queensland and needs a bit of advice send us a message. Just gone through process and now in caravan on Sunshine Coast

:arghh:Hi John, Importing any vehicle is becoming a nightmare.

Any help you can give us would be truly appreciated.

We are also looking at bringing a speedboat on trailer and our bmw x5.

Thanks in advance

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok Then, has anyone recently imported a caravan to Brisbane who can tell me of your experience's regarding Shipping in container with household, charges you was unaware of, compliance costs etc.. Thanks in advance

Have a chat with @Iron Chef he should be able to advise

Ok Then, has anyone recently imported a caravan to Brisbane who can tell me of your experience's regarding Shipping in container with household, charges you was unaware of, compliance costs etc.. Thanks in advance

The first and most obvious question is whether or not the caravan will actually fit inside the container (don't forget the length of the drawbar!). If it does, it cuts down your costs quite significantly. Using a container also allows you to load other personal effects into the caravan. Regarding compliance, Qld is normally pretty good. Gas fittings and possibly wiring will need to be signed off by plumber/electrician. It needs to have the door on the left hand side (our road side) or the rear of the van - one of those simple things that is often overlooked when people import caravans, but very expensive to change! Let me know if there's anything else you need.

The first and most obvious question is whether or not the caravan will actually fit inside the container (don't forget the length of the drawbar!). If it does, it cuts down your costs quite significantly. Using a container also allows you to load other personal effects into the caravan. Regarding compliance, Qld is normally pretty good. Gas fittings and possibly wiring will need to be signed off by plumber/electrician. It needs to have the door on the left hand side (our road side) or the rear of the van - one of those simple things that is often overlooked when people import caravans, but very expensive to change! Let me know if there's anything else you need.

400 [h=2]FRANKIA I 8400 QD PLATIN PLUS MERCEDES-BENZ 190 CDI Diesel[/h]From southhampton to Auckland NZ?

Any quote on shipping this RV to New Zealand?

Just go to the website in my signature and I can get a quote done up for you. Looks like a tidy setup!

Done

We were quoted by local dealer $330k on the road here in Auckland, so going back on time to get here and cost.

Seeing I can pick it up for GBP90k in home town

Hi pal. First make sure you get import approval. Then your shipping company. Once arrived you need to get the gas pipes and regulator changed (roughly £300) then all appliances need to be certified ( roughly £600). Electrics are ok nothing to be done until you sell it. Then you have to register the caravan think it's a couple of hundred I'll check. If the caravan is pretty modern then that's all that needs changing. Hope this helps

John

Thanks for the reply. Spoken to a shipping company from Brisbane and they can help me with compliance to Australian standards but for a fee of $2500. Seems a little steep. How do you pick the van up from customs without compliance and insurance ? Cheers Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi looking at taking our 1995 abi marauder out! yes its very old, but in general good nick. i've looked at similar aged caravans on gum tree eat. and even at that age and allowing £4k on import cost , west save a bit, plus we know what works on our van.

i was wondering if you can tell me how strict they are on cleanliness, i.e., dirt and green algae ect. i know how hot they are on dirt on shoes and rust on spades ect, the bottom of our van , like most id imagine is ply board, obviously being 20 years old it.s gonna be grubby. shall i get underneath and scrub and give it a coat of paint? and shall i meticulously stub with a tooth brush all around the windows and vents to remove green algae stuff?

with regard to the the steel braiding, our has none. the pipes from the front of the van from the reg are all copper straight through to the fridge and cookers. so i take it ours won't need that doing?

if we take out the old gas fire, then that won't need testing, hoping to fit an air con in the space, like a small portable one. also toying with a RORO, or getting a 40ft container and putting it in with personal goods. would this be cheaper than RORO?

thanks for reading it all , looking forward to your answers.

Check on the plywood floor out dogs crate made of plywood gets stamped on each side so quarantine know the timber has been treated

A car can be driven from the shippers on a day permit ,that's in SA , not sure about Queensland or caravan might have to be a low loader

our car we took back was steam cleaned twice by customs and it was detailed before it left

Any suspect soil ,algae mound etc will be frowned on

Edited by Patphillips47

hi looking at taking our 1995 abi marauder out! yes its very old, but in general good nick. i've looked at similar aged caravans on gum tree eat. and even at that age and allowing £4k on import cost , west save a bit, plus we know what works on our van.

i was wondering if you can tell me how strict they are on cleanliness, i.e., dirt and green algae ect. i know how hot they are on dirt on shoes and rust on spades ect, the bottom of our van , like most id imagine is ply board, obviously being 20 years old it.s gonna be grubby. shall i get underneath and scrub and give it a coat of paint? and shall i meticulously stub with a tooth brush all around the windows and vents to remove green algae stuff?

with regard to the the steel braiding, our has none. the pipes from the front of the van from the reg are all copper straight through to the fridge and cookers. so i take it ours won't need that doing?

if we take out the old gas fire, then that won't need testing, hoping to fit an air con in the space, like a small portable one. also toying with a RORO, or getting a 40ft container and putting it in with personal goods. would this be cheaper than RORO?

thanks for reading it all , looking forward to your answers.

Hello Redballs,

we we brought our caravan over to NSW last October.

Firstly RORO we found to be a lot more expensive than a container. Ours came in a 40ft container and there was room at the front for a Landrover. We had our caravan professionally cleaned and waxed (outside only and not underneath) before it left UK.

With regards to the braiding. It's the rubber pipe from the gas bottle to the regulator that has to be changed to a steel breaded pipe. We did this ourselves before we left the UK, it just cost a few £ and we did it ourselves.

We purchased a temp licence from government transport office (I think it was valid for 28 days) this allowed us to tow the van with no numberplates from the port to our house, we used the Landrover which had travelled with the van in the container to do this.

Dont panic about compliance, if you can take your van straight home from the port then do this. If you arrive some weeks before your caravan, use this time to shop around local garages for one that can provide a blue slip. I know Queensland can be a bit awkward with regards to fridges and fires but $2,500 sounds awfully steep. Here in NSW we paid less than $500 for the blue slip from the local car garage. The only work nec was a couple of really strong chains to replace the breakaway cable and a new compliance plate. Other than that he just checked that the van was safe ie brakes working etc. once we had the blue slip we just went to the government transport office to get new numberplates, then we were good to go.

With regards to the electric plugs, we have left the uk sockets in the van. This will only be a problem if we decide to sell the van on, in which case they must all be changed over to Aussie ones. As we intend to keep ours for a long time we are not bothered about this at the moment.

One thing that that I would mention, we arrived at the start of summer. Our van has been kept in storage and protected by a green caravan cover which we bought new from the UK. After 3 months in the strong sunshine our cover completely disintegrated. As we removed it from the caravan it just fell apart. We have now bought another one locally which I hope has better UV protection. I would never leave the caravan open to the elements as it will suffer greatly in the hot weather. Even the glue which holds the trim on the cupboards inside the van began to melt and the trim started to let go, we had to get some new glue and stick them back on.

One other thing about transport. If you use a container, you can fill your van with all sorts of useful things. Our caravan atrrived about 3 weeks before our furniture shipment. I was able to raid the van for extra pillows, quilt, cutlery, iron, toaster, kettle, tea towels, bath towels, garden chairs, saucepans, coat hangers OMG it was like Christmas lol. If on the other hand you use RORO then the van has to be completely empty for shipment.

(The awnings we hosed down and hung them up to dry before packing them in the Landrover for shipment.)

Anyway, good luck with your plans, it is a lot of work (and worry) but totally worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bigjohn72. the caravan we are considering is a 2007 Abbey GTS 418, what caravan did you take? just to compare compliance. Where you allowed a permit to take to anyone you wish for compliance etc. People have very conflicting advise so you advice is greatly appreciated. We have owned over 12 month so does this allow you to escape tax and GST? What import do you apply under small trailers or personal import? Regards Jeff