Importing a caravan

Bigjohn72

Hi does the same rules apply to boats on trailers as caravans. i.e. if you are exporting a boat to Australia for your own personal use you do not have to pay gst and import tax?. Do you have to have owned the boat for more than 12 months also?? Does anyone know of a website I could look at regarding this. I am getting conflicting advise from boat shippers. Thanks

Hi

I think the rules for boats and trailers are the same and that yes so have to have owned and used them for more than 12 months before you ship them. You can't have them shipped after you have left the country in order to meet the requirements. If you're in any doubt you can look at the Australian government website, then you can't be left with any doubt as to what the shippers state. Anything less than the 12 months then you can't you the personal import scheme. If you are importing a brand new vessel then you don't pay the vat in England as you will all of it here. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

Your caravan import summary is great.

Caravan arrived in fab condition at Port Kembla, Wollongong, NSW. We went with PSS who also arranged our container removal of households goods and car. They arranged everything bar the import approval which we did ourselves. Proof of ownership is the original bill of sale and your original reg documents, dosent matter if youve changed address since registering it, it just proves how long you have owned the caravan.

Customs and quarantine are all organised through our shipper and then a customs brooker contacted us and negotiated the necessary customs and quarantine inspections for us'(for a fee, but you can do it yourself, although I wouldn't reccommend it). We were then contacted and given a date to collect the van, it passed quarantine with no problems!!!

Depending upon where you are moving to there is a great chap in Dapto, NSW, he owns a company that imports British caravans, he has sorted out the compliance for us including registration as you cannot tow the van on the roads here until its registered. As it has to have compliance work and go over the weigh bridge before this can happen, it is not a simple process of taking it from A to B there is allsorts of paperwork involved and its a nightmere :arghh:.

If you have a look at www.britishcaravans.com.au you will see what this chap can do, Noel is able to collect directly from the port. Obvioulsy we imported our caravan ourselves before we found him, but Noel can source and import what ever you want and do all the hard work for you. He is very good value for money.

Just one thing I should mention though is that if you wish to sell your caravan on in Australia, you have to have the elctrics changed as well. As we dont intend selling any time soon we havent had this done, but some insurance comapanies also require an electrical compliance certificate as well as the gas - so you will need to shop around. If there's anything else I can do to help let me know.

Happy Camping x

• 1 month later...
Hi rachall,

I'm hoping that you still look at this forum occasionally..... As I'd love to hear about your final experience in getting your caravan made compliant and registered???

Hi Andy

yep, still here from time to time :)

Caravan finally on the drive awaiting her maiden voyage. The compliance was easy, but you do need to go to someone who knows what they're doing! Our local swift dealer was helpful, but wasn't able to get the appropriate competent trades on board to the the job. The gas connector in the front locker had to be changed as did the hose and the BBQ point (even though our uk BBQ still has the original connector on it, so that will need to be changed in due course). We haven't had the electrics changed because we don't intend selling it, but these will need to be changed if we do and also depending on who you insure with, you may have to have the electrics changed. It cost around $650 for the gas and $600 for the registration. I am aware that depending on which state you are in, will depend on how much registration you pay. We are in nsw and its the most expensive state in oz for caravan reg! We insured with gio and they never asked for any certification. I phoned them once the van was registered and just gave them the reg no, they never asked if it was an import. We've had air con fitted and are ready to go!

Hope that helps, let me know if you require any further info :)

Hey Rachall

Great update, our Swift is sat in UK waiting to be shipped as soon as I get the VIA through. If I may ask, how much was the shipping, I have been told by Ironchef to set aside approx. 5k Sterling for the shipping and dock fees, does that sound right? Also what fees did you incur over here, and did you have to get the gas compliance done before they released the van to you?

Hi Georgina, not wishing to crowd in on Rachall's posts as we think she has done a brilliant job in her posts, but just thought we would tell of our experience so far.

We are doing similar to you and have had the VIA passed and the caravan is sitting in the shippers warehouse in the UK waiting to be containerised.

The quoted cost to do this to date has been, transport to warehouse nil, as it was part of the purchase deal, marine transport $4050.00US, insurance for transport by sea $338.00AU, shippers fees from UK warehouse to Aust warehouse, dock costs, quarantine, container fees etc $1500.00AU, this amount does not include GST and customs duty that has to be added on to the combined cost of the caravan, marine transport and the insurance.

When cleared from the Aust warehouse we will arrange a tilt bed truck to pick it up and transport to a place of compliance ready for registration. In ringing around quoted costs have been approximately $250.00 for transportation.

As yet we haven't got a cost for compliance, however Rachall has given us a good ball park figure to work with.

The above info is for shipping by container, roll on roll off was $1500-$2000 extra.

There may be other costs that I am unaware of, if so, I'll update our post later on.

I realise that this may not be the same as your situation, but it might give a general estimate.

Hi Andy

When submitting the VIA (Form number Issue 11 January 2013 [4] ) I did not submit a statement of intent to make it compliant, I did however comply with part 4 on page 2 sub headings Trailer Mass, Trailer Dimensions and Trailer Couplings. And confirmed by signing the declaration on page 3

At the very beginning of part 4 in the first para it states. “Importers or suppliers are individually responsible (in the first instance) for ensuring that their trailers are plated and comply with relevant standards”. So if you have indicated yourself, (as being the importer), then you should be ok.

Besides, if your caravan is not compliant you will not be able to register the van for on road use as the motor registry office requires compliance paperwork. That's how I see it anyway.

The easiest way to get compliance is to have the caravan transported to a firm authorised to do this.

As a side note our VIA took 22 working days prior to lobbing in the mail box.

Try not to be swayed by negative comments, just focus and push on.

From our experience so far, this is a slow process, so be prepared to wait.

Oh, almost forgot, the caravan is a new Swift.

Guest Guest26110
Hey craigyboy, Bringing a caravan over is different to a car, so there is no 12 months of ownership criteria to adhere to. If the van is VAT free out of the UK, as ours will be then you pay 15% GST (saves 5%), however I am trying to ascertain if the 15% GST is solely on the cost on the invoice of the van, or this cost plus the cost of shipping, I am waiting for a reply from Ironlady imports, once I have this I will post an update. If it helps others we were at the Swift dealer from Brisbane 2 weekends ago when their latest shipment of Swifts arrived, and they confirmed that the only legal requirement was the gas braiding requires changing. We reckon that all up we will save approx. $12-13,000 by importing ourselves over buying from an agent over here.

If you have owned and USED the caravan for over one year you will pay no GST, I'm shipping my boat over the same rule applies. I had this confimed by an email direct from Australian customs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest26110

Hi did anyone who has shipped their caravan have any issues with the breaking system not complying with Aussie regs?

Guest Guest26110

I'm probably rambling to myself like a nutter in a loony bin, but did you guys that imported a caravan have to change your tow hitch?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachall

Our van arrives on Monday, so excited now. We have been quoted $2100 for the gas change over and all compliancy checks, this seems a bit expensive compared to your $650, did you then pay more for certification of each appliance, as that is what they are saying bumps up the cost, only $750 for the work and $375 per appliance and $225 to collect from port and deliver after work completed to my house. Did you use a major/national dealer or just a local guy? Any help would be great, we are in Brisbane.

Edited by GeorginaWay

Hey Andy

It would appear it is not a question of giving in, I have been told that I have to get these checks done to make it road legal. I could choose to not have it done but that would invalidate my insurance should an incident occur.

Is this just a QLD thing or across the country, I would have thought a national Gas Standard was exactly that National, however ere in Oz that seems to have very little meaning. I am moving to Victoria in Dec/Jan so is it law there as well?

Any help from those who have done this would be appreciated. If anyone could give me the number of the people they used then I can call them to confirm what is correct, but here in QLD, EVERY gas guy has said I need it, even ones not qualified to do the work are saying it.

Did you all just get a single gas registration certificate for the registration?

Edited by GeorginaWay

a. $375 to "certify" each appliance..... Utter Madness..... Please don't give in to that sort of blatant extortion!

b. $750 for the "work".... the only real work of any note should be adding Oz type safety chains onto the hitch.... Either welding or bolting+welding!

c. $225 to collect and deliver.... daylight robbery!

In it's simplest form my caravan is basically just a box on two wheels coupled via the hitch and tow-ball to my tug vehicle. It also has some form of braking and some rear road lighting. Until it was loaded onto the ship in the UK, it was road legal and used safely for many years in the relatively first-world countries of Europe. Any suggestion that it suddenly becomes terribly unsafe as soon as it's tyres hit terra firma downunder is pure poppycock.

I have recently myself collected my caravan from shipping agents in Victoria, after getting an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) from VicRoads for slightly more than $22. I think the UVP lasts for 28 days which should allow me ample time to get it registered. I would guess that Queensland would provide something similar to a UVP?

My experience so far is that there are plenty of people who are very willing to take advantage of us unsuspecting new-comers so they can earn quick bucks. They rely on FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) to deliver their easy pickings. Whoever gave you that quote is taking you to the cleaners!!

My suggestion is that you use locals, as the major/national dealers have a very protectionist approach to keep prices ludicrously high!

My comments on this are naturally my opinion.

Andy

Just to correct you on a few things:

The registration requirements are completely different from state to state.

Every state will, however, need the gas fittings certified if the caravan is not "type approved" to meet relevant standards - this comes from the manufacturer, so it becomes problematic, particularly with second hand caravans.

Regardless of how roadworthy a caravan (or car for that matter) was deemed to be in its home country, it matters nought when it gets to Australia. An MOT certificate is not worth the paper it's written on, for example.

You may want to check carefully how long your UVP in Victoria is for, because I've never heard of any UVP lasting 28 days. I may be wrong but generally UVPs aren't much longer than a week, and usually you need to specify the roads you intend to travel on for your journey. It may be different for caravans though, so I'm happy to stand corrected if that's the case.