Importing a caravan

Bigjohn72

I think it will be worth it cos the equivalent van in oz is around £30000.

we toured oz a few years ago and if you stick to sealed roads you'll be fine, we went down a few corrugated roads and my fillings nearly fell out so uk vans not built for this, unfortunately some of the best camp sites are on these roads.

just read this again! Didn't realise it was 30k sterling that you quoted for a similar type van in OZ...that makes the decision a no brainer! If we sell in the UK we wont get anywhere near that type of money...think I'll send an email to the Caravan dealers in OZ to see what they say...it then makes the decision so much easier.

Hi Kimorjack.

If it helps with your choice I can tell you that a brand new from the factory 2013 Challenger 570 is retailing for $46,990 excluding dealer delivery costs (approx.($750), and that is from a registered Swift dealer in Brisbane. Hope this helps?

Am I right in thinking that a swift challenger 570 sells for approx $40-45k ? Mine is a 2011 model - spotless.

(not selling!) - I want to make sure

A) it's worth the import cost - eg. Not going to loose money

B) are European models capable of touring in oz? (some of the oz caravans seem to have a lot of clearance space underneath)

Dilema is whether we sell in this country and buy an OZ one

Edited by GeorginaWay

Wow thats a big jump - will look into depreciation in oz! But with the figures it's a no brainier! Even if we spend 5k on transport and air con and other changes - we still sell more than we could get in this country - plus the obvious we use it first! I don't know if we would want to caravan in OZ - it's not the same when its not raining :-)

Wow thats a big jump - will look into depreciation in oz! But with the figures it's a no brainier! Even if we spend 5k on transport and air con and other changes - we still sell more than we could get in this country - plus the obvious we use it first! I don't know if we would want to caravan in OZ - it's not the same when its not raining :-)
i know your kidding and you really hate rain. When I was a kid some of the best days of the caravan holiday where in a caravan looking out the window, but with a frat game of monopoly underway with my sisters lol.

Hi guys, just stumbled across this thread an by coincidence we were only thinking today that we might buy a caravan to take over as a temporary home while we get settled then as a holiday base in the long term.

Only thing is we've never owned one before and reading this thread had thrown up a couple of questions.

For starters, how do they know how long you've owned the van, do you have a V5 type document?

Also if we buy one now and take it in 6 months how much will the tax be. It would be a used van.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
We are bringing over the Challenger SE 625. Importing through Chichester Caravans in the UK

Hi GeorginaWay, I realise this post is getting on a bit now, but, would you be able to give an update on your import progress? Has it been successful? Were there any hassles so far? We are thinking of

doing the same thing but doing a bit more research before deciding to take the plunge. Have followed your posts with interest.

I'm just dipping in and out of PIO and I have been reading this thread, now as an outsider and not really into vans, my opinion may just be glossed over. However if it was me I think I would be buying the van here. Someone earlier said it was approx 4K to ship over and then of course the modifications and paperwork to navigate. Are vans really over 4,000 quid dearer here? also I know it's a popular pastime in the UK with plenty of caravaners but so is Oz and you would be able to even think about an off roader (double wheel axle at the back).

There is a great book here which name escapes me at the moment which gives you a listing of all the free campsites around Oz, some have free power, are often WiFi hot spots and also toilet/shower blocks. It cost me about $70 to buy and is a large Atlas style book.

Just bouncing these thoughts about so don't take offence if I sound rude. Good luck with it but again, we made a few mistakes when we took stuff that we were advised would work, only to find that they didn't and had to be binned! I'm taking about a new Roberts digital radio, it was only tuned to the UK, and cannot be retuned!! an HP all in one printer (The dam thing is chipped in the country that you buy it and new ink would not work!!). A Sony TV which cost nearly 900 quid was also rendered useless and was skipped. Keep perusing PIO as there are many stories such as mine.

Edited by Sids Dad

Thanks Sids-Dad for the heads up on those..... I can understand the DAB digital radio not working outside Blighty, but I've just bought a new HP PhotoSmart 5510, so am gutted to hear about the daylight robbery around the ink cartridges! :mad::biggrin:

From what I've seen downunder, I reckon that caravans in Oz are about 2x to 3x what they cost in the UK...... And the local offerings are kind of primitive IMO!:eek:

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, If you are bringing the printer, just bring extra ink with it or you will have to then go online and order from the UK which will incur postage. I must say I'm puzzled about the lower spec of the vans you mention here? I have had a peruse at some of them during a camping and Caravan exhibition a couple of years ago and they seemed to be luxurious by any standards ( But what would I know). The one's we were interested in were the double axle off roader's which would be handy if you were to go "Bush" It's not a bad idea to have a van to stay in on arrival though although they would be unbearable here without Air Conn I would imagine? There are an enormous amount of camping shops though so don't get carried away stocking yourself up over there.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Sids Dad

Hi, Sids Dad, Geez, tossin' out a 900quid Sony must have hurt mate. Anyway I hope you are enjoying Byron Bay, its a beaut region to be in.

I value your opinion and you didn't sound rude. Our main reason for going for a UK

caravan was the layout that appealed to us and also beds for 4 persons (2 singles and a double), shower and toilet, single axle that I like for overall weight saving and fuel economy. Also our days of bumping around bush tracks as we have done in the past with our current van are over, we prefer to stay on the blacktop and take it easy.

Cheers

Gary

Guest guest74886
Hey Big John We are about to import a brand new Swift van to Oz VAT free. The only thing you absolutely have to have done, is the gas braiding requires changing. The UK plugs are not required by law to be changed, but probably a good idea at some point for resale etc. As someone else has said get all the work done here, if for no other reason than warranty etc. If you have aircon in the van it will need to be degassed prior to shipping.

Are you sure it will be GST free as I believe you pay GST on any imports over a $1000 and are there any import taxes as it is an imported item

Hi yes from Southampton. We originally wanted it to go in a container, but it's too big. Both bailey and swift sell vans out here and they import using the RORO. It takes about 6 weeks and costs between 3500 - 4500 depending on the size of your van. As we have owned ours for 4 yrs we won't pay duty on it. Hope that helps

Hi Rachall. Has your van arrived yet just wandering how smooth it went with the shipping and getting it registered, we've just decided which shipping company were using and get the ball rolling.

regards john

Hi Rachall. Has your van arrived yet just wandering how smooth it went with the shipping and getting it registered, we've just decided which shipping company were using and get the ball rolling.

regards john

Hi van has arrived. Customs have cleared it and we have been charged just over $4000 for GST and duty! Do not believe the shipping companies when they say you don't pay this on a used privately owned van - you do!! We are waiting to hear when quarantine are going to clear it and we could be charged again. The van then has to go to a dealer for compliance modifications, at the moment that's just the braided gas hose and the chains which they bolt on. We also have to invest in an air conditioning unit. Will keep you all posted, but when all of the costs are in we are looking as saving ourselves half the cost of the van in the UK and a bit more than that in oz. However the van is an 08 model and the new on here is nearly $50,000 so can't complain really.

Hi All

Just another quick up date - I got the info wrong, or should I say the shippers did!! They have tried to invoice us for the caravan, however have spoken to customs who state that no, we don't pay GST and duty as it's owned for more than 12 mths and for personal use in Oz. Phew, just having a battle with the shippers now, who want payment upfront before they will release it! Make sure you fill in a form B534 Unaccompanied personal effects, from customs@gov.au otherwise they will treat it as taxable import. Hopefully collecting the van on the 27th.

@ Metoo - loving Australia, wish I'd made the move sooner. Many thanks x

Great news! Glad it's arrived safely - and by the timing's I see - around the 6 weeks timeframe?

We are looking at coming over in December - so we could send the van earlier - and have it there ready for when we land - then just a matter of the changes (Air con) and MOT :-)

thanks for all the updates!

Hi All

Just another quick up date - I got the info wrong, or should I say the shippers did!! They have tried to invoice us for the caravan, however have spoken to customs who state that no, we don't pay GST and duty as it's owned for more than 12 mths and for personal use in Oz. Phew, just having a battle with the shippers now, who want payment upfront before they will release it! Make sure you fill in a form B534 Unaccompanied personal effects, from customs@gov.au otherwise they will treat it as taxable import. Hopefully collecting the van on the 27th.

That's great got a bit of a panic on when you mentioned the gst charge but all sounds good cant wait to ship the van over and get the wheels rolling. Have you joined the Aussie equivalent of caravn club or anything?

happy adventures

john

Hi All

Good news! We have collected the van today from the port. She arrived dirty, but safe and sound from the roro. No GST or duty, just $620 for port handling fees and $400 to the agency dealing with customs and quarantine clearance. She passed through quarantine with no issues and is safely deposited with the dealer for the compliance modifications and an aircon unit. Well worth it and can't wait to get on the road to explore x

Hi All

Hi Rachall,

Thanks so much for the info.

In view of this we will defo be bringing our Swift Conqueror with us next year. We are having air con fitted in 2 weeks time as we will be taking it to South of France this summer for our holls. I have head though that we will have to have the air con de-gassed when we bring it over to Australia.

Have they mentioned anything about having the electric sockets changed over to ozzy ones?. We would rather keep the UK ones in place as all our appliances are 3 pin.

We were in Sydney recently and spoke to a salesman at the caravan dealers and he said that imported caravans for re-sale purposes have to have all the electric sockets changed but he thought we might get away with it on a personal import, however, if we then wanted to sell it on at a later date it might not pass comliance. He did say however that he was not entirely sure about that. (he was a ping pong pom on his second stint in Sydney lol)

So glad you are enjoying your time in Australia, make the most of the lovely weather, its freeeezing here. We had the caravan home for the easter weekend so we could give it a good clean and it started snowing while we were washing it :biglaugh: :shocked:

All the best Metoo x

Hi Metoo

Air conditioning will have to be degassed, we had to get the discovery done before we could bring it. Having air conditioning fitted at the same time as the compliance. Sockets do not need to be changed. Hope this helps - enjoy France x

Edited by rachall
Predictive text - grrrr!!!!

Guest Guest26110
Hi All

Hi does the same rules apply to boats on trailers as caravans. i.e. if you are exporting a boat to Australia for your own personal use you do not have to pay gst and import tax?. Do you have to have owned the boat for more than 12 months also?? Does anyone know of a website I could look at regarding this. I am getting conflicting advise from boat shippers. Thanks