Importing a caravan

Bigjohn72

Guest Guest26012

Not sure about your question but hopefully someone has done this before! Wish we could have brought our caravan with us, they cost a fortune here.

Hi

We are in the process of shipping our 2008 swift. If you go to the department of infrastructure website then they will tell you what needs to be done. However I think to be on the safe side I would get it done once you're over here as the van needs to go over the pits for the equivalent of a car mot before you can use it. Hope that helps

Hey Big John We are about to import a brand new Swift van to Oz VAT free. The only thing you absolutely have to have done, is the gas braiding requires changing. The UK plugs are not required by law to be changed, but probably a good idea at some point for resale etc. As someone else has said get all the work done here, if for no other reason than warranty etc. If you have aircon in the van it will need to be degassed prior to shipping.

We are looking at this now - we have a Swift Challenger 570 (2011 model) and were going to sell before going over (it doesn't have air con at the moment)...but I hear "rumours" that the re-sale in OZ is much higher..we were "toying" with the idea of sending it over "earlier" than us and actually using it as our temporary home for the first few weeks until we settle on final area and getting a rental/buying...any idea on approximate costs for shipping? Anything else to look out for - has anyone else actually done this as a temporary accommodation option? Good to hear thoughts...if the numbers work - then it may be an option

Hey Big John We are about to import a brand new Swift van to Oz VAT free. The only thing you absolutely have to have done, is the gas braiding requires changing. The UK plugs are not required by law to be changed, but probably a good idea at some point for resale etc. As someone else has said get all the work done here, if for no other reason than warranty etc. If you have aircon in the van it will need to be degassed prior to shipping.

Hi georginaway thanks for responding , so changing the braided gas pipe is all that's required to get the caravan registered, thought I might have to alter the internal electrics and gas piping slightly. Which model are you getting we have the challenger 570 and love it.

We are looking at this now - we have a Swift Challenger 570 (2011 model) and were going to sell before going over (it doesn't have air con at the moment)...but I hear "rumours" that the re-sale in OZ is much higher..we were "toying" with the idea of sending it over "earlier" than us and actually using it as our temporary home for the first few weeks until we settle on final area and getting a rental/buying...any idea on approximate costs for shipping? Anything else to look out for - has anyone else actually done this as a temporary accommodation option? Good to hear thoughts...if the numbers work - then it may be an option

We have got the same caravan as you and are also going to stay in the van when we get to oz to save money and try different areas. We are just looking at which shipping company to use but it will cost about £4000.

you will need to get a vehicle import approval before shipping.

when you get to oz you have to register the van ( like an m.o.t) and get number plates they charge for this but doesnt seem too bad.

ive been trying to get a definite answer from as to what alterations may need to be done to gas and electrics to comply, 13 pin plug easy to change.

if you have owned the van for 12 months or more then its classed as personal possessions and you don't pay import duty

Interesting! Glad someone else thinking about doing the same! We are heading to Brisbane - but not 100% sure of areas - so thought the van would allow us time to have a proper look at a few areas we have researched (Internet) - we are looking at going over in The last few weeks of Nov - so this means our son has his summer holiday during Dec/Jan to coincide with the move - so we have approx 8 weeks to find an area/school/house/work :-)

We are even thinking that we can put some clothes in the van aswell! (If allowed)

just starting to look at options now - but the figures still stack in our favour as the vans do seem to be worth more in OZ! (Not seen much proof of this yet though)

Not looked at camp sites yet so need to be 100% sure of security etc.

Interesting! Glad someone else thinking about doing the same! We are heading to Brisbane - but not 100% sure of areas - so thought the van would allow us time to have a proper look at a few areas we have researched (Internet) - we are looking at going over in The last few weeks of Nov - so this means our son has his summer holiday during Dec/Jan to coincide with the move - so we have approx 8 weeks to find an area/school/house/work :-)

We are even thinking that we can put some clothes in the van aswell! (If allowed)

just starting to look at options now - but the figures still stack in our favour as the vans do seem to be worth more in OZ! (Not seen much proof of this yet though)

Not looked at camp sites yet so need to be 100% sure of security etc.

Hi

Just to let you know that you cannot transport anything in the van. All personal possessions must be removed. We had to take out the awnings right through to the cutlery.

Edited by rachall

John, afraid I reckon that getting a definitive answer will be nigh on impossible. Some have said that it's a case of FUD being spread around in order to dissuade imports and thereby protect the local industry, but it may simply be the vagaries of bureacracy at play.

Thanks to Rachall's earlier post, I downloaded a "standards document" from www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/index.aspx that may help answer your questions.

I have an idea that heavy duty Aussie Safety Chain may need to be fitted around the hitch, as I don't think that our manual Breakaway Cable design complies.

Rachall, thanks for the infrastructure website link!

Do you perhaps know yet whether you guys will be given the chance to tow your 'van home, albeit on temporary number plates, in order for you to do the few modifications before you take it for the rego / MOT test?

Andy

Hi Andy

I will check the import approval paperwork and let you know. I would imagine you can tow it away. The van is being shipped today roro. Can't wait to get it here.

Hi Andy

I will check the import approval paperwork and let you know. I would imagine you can tow it away. The van is being shipped today roro. Can't wait to get it here.

Excellent! How long will the RORO take? Guess from Southampton - which port?

this could work out really well if the figures all add up. an option we didnt think was viable. :-)

Excellent! How long will the RORO take? Guess from Southampton - which port?

this could work out really well if the figures all add up. an option we didnt think was viable. :-)

Hi yes from Southampton. We originally wanted it to go in a container, but it's too big. Both bailey and swift sell vans out here and they import using the RORO. It takes about 6 weeks and costs between 3500 - 4500 depending on the size of your van. As we have owned ours for 4 yrs we won't pay duty on it. Hope that helps

Hi yes from Southampton. We originally wanted it to go in a container, but it's too big. Both bailey and swift sell vans out here and they import using the RORO. It takes about 6 weeks and costs between 3500 - 4500 depending on the size of your van. As we have owned ours for 4 yrs we won't pay duty on it. Hope that helps

Hi rachall thanks for the good advice it's helped a lot, it's good to hear other people doing the same. Hope the van has a smooth trip. Be good to know how you get on with registration. Cheers John

Hey craigyboy, Bringing a caravan over is different to a car, so there is no 12 months of ownership criteria to adhere to. If the van is VAT free out of the UK, as ours will be then you pay 15% GST (saves 5%), however I am trying to ascertain if the 15% GST is solely on the cost on the invoice of the van, or this cost plus the cost of shipping, I am waiting for a reply from Ironlady imports, once I have this I will post an update. If it helps others we were at the Swift dealer from Brisbane 2 weekends ago when their latest shipment of Swifts arrived, and they confirmed that the only legal requirement was the gas braiding requires changing. We reckon that all up we will save approx. $12-13,000 by importing ourselves over buying from an agent over here.

Hey craigyboy, Bringing a caravan over is different to a car, so there is no 12 months of ownership criteria to adhere to. If the van is VAT free out of the UK, as ours will be then you pay 15% GST (saves 5%), however I am trying to ascertain if the 15% GST is solely on the cost on the invoice of the van, or this cost plus the cost of shipping, I am waiting for a reply from Ironlady imports, once I have this I will post an update. If it helps others we were at the Swift dealer from Brisbane 2 weekends ago when their latest shipment of Swifts arrived, and they confirmed that the only legal requirement was the gas braiding requires changing. We reckon that all up we will save approx. $12-13,000 by importing ourselves over buying from an agent over here.
cracking reply and something I didn't know. I am off to the caravan show this weekend for gander lol.

Am I right in thinking that a swift challenger 570 sells for approx $40-45k ? Mine is a 2011 model - spotless.

(not selling!) - I want to make sure

A) it's worth the import cost - eg. Not going to loose money

B) are European models capable of touring in oz? (some of the oz caravans seem to have a lot of clearance space underneath)

Dilema is whether we sell in this country and buy an OZ one

I have read about the gas braiding that's needs to be changed, could you please clarify what this is, as I am not sure.

Older model vans had the regulator on the gas bottle with a pipe to the caravan inlet, later vans have the regulator permanently fixed in the front locker with a braided gas pipe from here to the gas bottle, it's this bit that needs changing

I think it will be worth it cos the equivalent van in oz is around £30000.

we toured oz a few years ago and if you stick to sealed roads you'll be fine, we went down a few corrugated roads and my fillings nearly fell out so uk vans not built for this, unfortunately some of the best camp sites are on these roads.

Older model vans had the regulator on the gas bottle with a pipe to the caravan inlet, later vans have the regulator permanently fixed in the front locker with a braided gas pipe from here to the gas bottle, it's this bit that needs changing

Thanks for that, don't understand why they want braided pipes, we seem to manage ok with rubber pipes as do all bbq's, but thanks for the clarification.

I think it will be worth it cos the equivalent van in oz is around £30000.

we toured oz a few years ago and if you stick to sealed roads you'll be fine, we went down a few corrugated roads and my fillings nearly fell out so uk vans not built for this, unfortunately some of the best camp sites are on these roads.

All ozzies think uk vans can't cope: they took a bailey all round Australia and it did fine. Got to agree with the post though: would you take a land rover down those track, never mind tow a van