Bridging visa

siandear

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of a bridging visa. I am moving out to Adelaide as my husband is out there - we have been advised to apply for a spouse visa once I am out - but have been told I can apply for a bridging visa so that I can work, whilst the spouse visa goes through - has anyone had any experience of this - how long it takes etc?

thank you smile.gif

You don't normally apply for a bridging visa, they are granted once you make an onshore application. For applicants for partner visas, there are now no work restrictions attached to bridging visas. The bridging visa kicks in once whatever visa you will travel to Australia on expires.

You would need to travel over on a Tourist visa, (but it will need to be one without the no-further stay condition). The evisa should not have the no further stay condition attached.

Once you apply for your Partner visa you will be given a Bridging visa - but this will only start once the Tourist Visa expires, therefore you will not be able to work until you are on the Bridging Visa A.

It depends on what visa you travel on, as it is once that visa expires that you would start to be under the bridging visa A. For example if you get a three month tourist visa, the bridging visa becomes effective three months after you arrive, as you tourist visa is no longer valid.

Guest cheeselady

May I ask some questions here?

If I hold a 676 without 8530, I still can apply 820 onshore in Australia around July?

Normally, how long it will take to be granted a bridge visa after I submit my application onshore?

This bridge visa is "A"? could I work after I get this BVA? or I couldn't because my ex-visa is 676?

The bridging visa conditions apply once your existing visa expires i.e. if you have a 12 month 676 then BVA applies once your 12 months are up. The bridging visa is granted automatically when you apply for the 801/820. (If you leave Aus the BVA lapses, even if your other visa is still valid.)

It used to be that the BVA inherited the conditions of the last visa held, but applicants for partner or parent visas now get BVAs with no conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the OP's query, my partner was about to submit an offshore spouse application visa however we would prefer to follow the route that the OP is suggesting as it would mean he would get to Australia quicker (where I currently am). However, we don't think he can afford to come to Australia for another 3 months and by that stage we will have been apart for 4 months; would this look bad to DIAC and effect the 'defacto' element in that we have not been living together for so long and additionally, why we didn't apply sooner for the visa offshore?