How I Got a 457 Visa (18 months in Australia Update!)

Kevin McAuley

Well...

It's been quite sometime since I logged onto this forum but the reason I am back is because I know what it is like when you first start thinking about making the move, should you vs. shouldn't you and I remember getting some great information from other members of this forum that really helped me out.

Honestly at the time I could not fathom how many things I would of experienced and how much has changed. Knowing what I know now I don't really think that you can grasp what it's like to take the plunge until you actually do it no matter how much great information you get from the people on here.

That said, there are some things that you can learn and pick up that can make the transition easier such as knowing where to look for work, how to get a visa and technical things like that but your own individual experience will be yours alone and that is a good thing.

I get asked a lot by friends at home now who see my photo's on Facebook what it is like here, if I enjoy it and how to do it. I managed to do it by getting sponsored with a 457 visa through my employer. Now while this option may not be the most appropriate for everyone or even open for all its probably worth looking into because there are still jobs that one can get without much experience previously and make it work, such as recruitment for example.

How I managed to get sponsored is something I get asked a lot so here are a few simple tips that helped me that may help someone else:

1) Identify potential jobs that you would like that you get sponsored for

2) Start emailing directly for openings instead of waiting on job sites and state that you are planning on working in Australia for a long time

3) Use a working holiday visa to get to Australia and get your foot in the door (I know this isn't an option for all but it's what I did)

4) Work your butt off to prove yourself in the company (You may have to move into a new industry and learn quickly)

5) Enjoy Aussie life.

I know that seems pretty simple but I did have to work hard in my jobs to finally get the sign off on the 457. If you are planning on trying the WHV to 457 route and have any questions feel free to hit me up in the meantime here is a little video I made in the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney to whet your appetite for your move...http://youtu.be/er16vXbpXaw enjoy :)

Thanks Fleabo!

Thanks moving 2... I have been working with your friend Serena Star Leonard recently?

Go ahead PatrickG - Google me or go to my blog and hit me up anywhere you like (FB, LinkedIn Ect) I am not hard to find (Kevin James McAuley)

Edited by Kevin McAuley
Include others