Anyone moving to Brisbane in 2014???

flissbob

Hi. We emigrated in May this year. We're in Maryborough (near Hervey Bay / Fraser Island), so about 3 hours north of Brissy, but I'm guessing there's not many other poms around here! I'm aged 34 and work as a Speech Pathologist, my husband is 36, was a scientist in the UK but now looking for different work, he currently looks after our 2-year-old daughter. I'm from Bristol originally, hubby is from North Yorkshire (Scarborough). Brissy is a bit of a way for us to travel for get togethers, but we do have an Aussie friend down there so do travel down quite often. Keen to get in touch with other Poms, so will be nice to chat to people over the internet at least, if not make the occasional get together! Cheers.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello BB. Don't be too pessimistic about not finding other migrants in the area. Leave it with me for a week because there's a family that comes to the North Lakes' get-together (that's on this Saturday) that has family in Hervey Bay and I'll check with them. In the meantime, check with the local Council to see if they know anything about a migrant get-together, check notice boards at local shopping centres, local libraries, schools, etc. and if all else fails, start one yourself! That's what we did 2 years ago and put the details on the Poms In Oz website calendar and perhaps prepare a few A5 size flyers to put in local libraries, kindies, etc. (we put ours in the local butcher's shop on yellow paper, so it was noticed). If I can help further, please pm me - and I could send you our flyer, if you decide to go that way.

Hi,sorry

Tobother you as we are about to apply for our visas and are looking north of Brisbane..do you have any advice for a Yorkshire family of four on moving,where to start with visa and who to use...and areas in brisbane way as so puzzled at min in all excitement of move..main concern is for kids to settled in schools there.

Hi,sorry

Tobother you as we are about to apply for our visas and are looking north of Brisbane..do you have any advice for a Yorkshire family of four on moving,where to start with visa and who to use...and areas in brisbane way as so puzzled at min in all excitement of move..main concern is for kids to settled in schools there.

I think a little early to think about exact area's of Brisbane to live until you confirm your eligibility for a visa and have lodged your application.

However there are many places in Brisbane and the surrounds, location could also be dependent on where you work, and lifestyle wants, like are you looking to be near the coast or City?

Please give some more details so the posters can give more appropriate advice/comments.

Cheers and good luck. Keith.

Hi,sorry

I agree with Keith & Linda - get started on the process before deciding where you want/have to be living. What kind of work for you &/or OH? What ages are the children? What leisure activities do you enjoy as a family? (No point in being in Ipswich if you want to be close to water.) I know it's a huge step with lots of unknowns at this point, but take it a little at the time and then (hopefully!) things will become clearer.

Thanks very much for the response PatW. Funnily enough after i posted on this thread I did find one from Poms living in Hervey Bay, so i posted on there. It's an old thread but some recent activity so hopefully I'll get a response. But if you don't mind checking with the family that come to the get together on saturday, that would be great. I'll think about some of your other suggestions too. Thanks again, have a lovely day on Saturday :-)

Hi johnsons. You've probably already figured out that 2 Oct wasn't a Saturday. Oops; my typo. Sorry. Then we had to postpone for 2 weeks (from 4 Oct) and it'll be on this Saturday, 18 Oct (it's on the calendar here). Same details: from 2pm, byo, North Lakes Park/bbq area, Aurora Blvd, North Lakes 4509. Would be great if you can get there.

Hi Pat,

yeah ah I had read that the meet up got postponed, which was handy for us cos we ended up moving into our home that day, and as luck would have it we are now living a couple of minutes walk from where the meet up will be tomorrow. So we will certainly be there tomorrow and are looking forward to it.

Regards

The Johnston's

• 4 months later...

Next get-together will be Saturday 18 April, Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes 4509 (behind Bounty Boulevard school). From 2pm til you have to go. BYO food, drinks, etc. Free electric bbqs on site, as well as kids' play area, off-leash dog area, half-pipe skateboard thingy & a huge playing field for ball games. And hopefully all this rotten humidity will have well & truly gone by then! PM me if you have questions. I also put the details on the calendar of the PIO website.