Anyone moving to Brisbane in 2014???

flissbob

Hi all!

we are due to move over in 3 weeks time. All very exciting/scarey/daunting! I'm Vikki (photographer on maternity) and my hubby is mark (dentist). We have 2 little boys aged 2 years and 6 months and Fin the dog who will be joining us a few months later! Would love to meet new people especially those in the same boat!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

we are due to move over in 3 weeks time. All very exciting/scarey/daunting! I'm Vikki (photographer on maternity) and my hubby is mark (dentist). We have 2 little boys aged 2 years and 6 months and Fin the dog who will be joining us a few months later! Would love to meet new people especially those in the same boat!

Hi Vikki , good luck , we are due to fly end of April . Where are you heading ? Have you got house / jobs to go to ?

Hi,

Thanks, you too!

We are heading north of brisbane. We are going to a holiday let when we arrive, as I was under the impression you can't take up a longer term rental unless you're in the country? Also want to check out a few areas when we arrive. Thinking Redcliffe, Sandgate, North Lakes or possibly a little further up at Banksia Beach. Anyone have any views on these areas? Yes my husband has a job in place but I won't be working initially.

I'm just trying to figure out what removals company to choose as I've had a few quotes in but struggling to make a decision. Any advise on this?

how about you? Do you have any areas in mind or a place to go to?

Hi! We are moving over in december and also looking at Brisbane. If you ever get time a post about those areas would be fab!! :) we were thinking of using move cube to.ship our stuff.. There are quite a few links on here regarding shipping, you should have a little look through then. From what I have read, prices can vary a lot :-)

We were originally heading to southern Brisbane too , oxenford, Labrador , coomera , but now my husband has seen jobs ( in his trade) advertised for the northern suburbs . We have 3 week rental on our arrival ( end of April ) but no work lined up .....starting to get very nervous !! Our belongings went last week with Crown Relocations.

Hi again,

yes I will definitely try to give my opinion on those areas once we have checked it all out. Crown is one of the companies I'm deciding between. Have they been good so far? It must be very nerve racking once all your belongings have gone, but I suppose it's all part and parcel of starting a new life away. We have had to leave all of the booking companies, flights etc. until the last minute due to our circumstances here, which is a little crazy but the excitement is starting to creep in! We are only heading North as that is where my hubby's job is based and we didn't want a long commute ( hopefully = more family time). I will try to keep you updated with what we find along the way. Good luck everyone, I hope we can meet up sometime (in the sunshine ;-)) x

Hi everyone, my husband and I (and 2 boys who will be 4 & 2) will be landing in Brisbane early May. I am a nurse and my hubby is an electrician. We have no work lined up so we will also be hitting the ground running. Getting excited but Also very nervous. We have temp accommodation booked or 3 weeks while we try to secure a rental. I'm currently having a nightmare with AHPRA so will have to find work as a carer when we arrive. But we are both thinking its probably best to get hat we can get at first. We won't really know nine out there so would welcome any meet ups from people in a similar situation. Please pm me if interested as I'm still rubbish at using this site.

hope to be joining you all soon in the sunshine having a lovely BBQ. :laugh:

Hi everyone! Pleased to get so many replies!! I am waiting for my AHPRA registration and am hoping to move in August! Can't wait! There is a really good website I found to check out Brisbane suburbs, its called homely.com.au and ranks all the suburbs and says what they are good/bad for! I'm thinking of moving to Murrumba downs, which is a 30min drive from the cbd and 10 miles from redcliffe beach. Would anyone be up for meeting up later on this year? Could do with some friendly faces in a new city! Roxybird79, how exciting!! Please keep me updated on your move. What suburb are you moving to?

Fliss

Fliss

Btw Burleigh Heads is nearer the Gold Coast than brisbane so unless you want to do an hours travelling after a late before an early etc you might want to think about living a little closer to the city since that's where the majority of the hospitals are unless you plan to work on the Gold Coast of course!!

It sounds like many of you are getting close to making your moves. If you have any questions that you need answering about Brisbane please feel free to PM me. I can also definitely help you organise a meetup when you arrive - maybe we can do a brisbane newcomers BBQ in a park somewhere near the city. I also have a good contact for a furniture broker that will get the best deals for you on relocating your possessions and provide a personal touch that you sometimes don't get with the big guys - PM me if any of you want the details.

I live in Murrumba Downs and it's 20-30 minutes' drive from the city (out of rush hour - and yes we do have rush hours!). Lots of good residential estates: Goodwood, Badger Hall, Castle Hill with shopping centres at Murrumba Downs, Kallangur and North Lakes. State Junior schools is Undurba and private is Living Faith Lutheran. State High School (now grades 7 to 12, where 7 used to be top of the juniors) opened in 2013, so small numbers & good facilities.

OH & I arrange 3 monthly get-togethers at Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (behind Bounty Boulevard School) and the next is next Saturday 12 April, from 2/2.30 til you have to go (usually by dark because most have littlies). Just turn up - you'd be made most welcome! And you get to chat with others that have recently done the move (from UK) and get to make new friends who know what you've gone through.

OH & I did the move a few years back, but we remember the anguish, etc. for the first year or 3!

PM me if you have private questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a thread in PIO in Jobs & Careers today, called "Official Nurses Thread", which started in Feb 2008 & has had 4,119 replies. Perhaps this might help?

Also, OH & I do 3 monthly migrant get-togethers/bbqs in a park in North Lakes. Last Saturday we had 9 families (so not too big to get round & chat to everyone) and the next will be Saturday 12 July from 2pm til you have to go. It'll be at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (behind Bounty Boulevard School). BYO everything. Just turn up - you'd be most welcome - and you can chat to others that have done the same in recent times & start to make new friends & networks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi-myself, hubby and 2 children (6&8) will be moving to Brisbane at the end of December!!! I am a Midwife and have just started the gruelling process that is AHPRA!!! Have been to Oz three times and love it!! Had a reccie to Brisbane last year, and are undecided on whether to head towards upper coomera or north lakes!!! Anyway, would love to keep in touch and maybe meet up with some of you next year!!:biggrin:

Edited by Laura2406

HI flissbob- I lived in Yorkshire for 20 years before moving to save money for my move to Brisbane. I'm in my 40's and awaiting my PMV to come through. It should be through June/July but in any case I am going to be going over 3rd July and then go offshore when it comes through. I am will be living in Warner north of Brisbane

Hi all!

I don't suppose you do Wedding photography :-). My fiancee and I are getting married on a beach on the Sunshine Coast in March 2015

Hi-myself, hubby and 2 children (6&8) will be moving to Brisbane at the end of December!!! I am a Midwife and have just started the gruelling process that is AHPRA!!! Have been to Oz three times and love it!! Had a reccie to Brisbane last year, and are undecided on whether to head towards upper coomera or north lakes!!! Anyway, would love to keep in touch and maybe meet up with some of you next year!!:biggrin:

Hi Laura,

We are looking to move to Brisbane too at the end of Dec, beginning of Jan!!! Hopefully get to meet everyone for a bbq or something and we can all relish in the fact we are missing a British winter!!! :) xx

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! We are moving over in december and also looking at Brisbane. If you ever get time a post about those areas would be fab!! :) we were thinking of using move cube to.ship our stuff.. There are quite a few links on here regarding shipping, you should have a little look through then. From what I have read, prices can vary a lot :-)

Hi Gayle1976, hope your plans are still going well? We have been here for 6weeks now and have settled in north Lakes. It seemed the perfect starting place for us as it has everything you need right here, and was an easy commute for my OH. We stayed in Redcliffe for 4 weeks in a holiday let and we really liked it - the beach is beautiful. So far we are loving it, now it's time to get out there and meet people!

I don't suppose you do Wedding photography :-). My fiancee and I are getting married on a beach on the Sunshine Coast in March 2015

Hi Crossfit Mark, actually yes I used to do weddings!! Wow that sounds lovely, congrats on your engagement. I'm not up and running here yet but can PM you with a link when I get sorted if you like?

Hello Vikc

Welcome to Brisbane and North Lakes! As you're probably already found out, there are quite a number of Poms in NL and OH & I arrange 3 monthly get-togethers for those recently (or not so recently) arrived, so people can meet others that have been through the same, swop information and hints and get to make new friends.

If you want to join us, the next will be Saturday 12 July, 2pm til you have to go (it'll be dark around 5pm but there will be lights) at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School). BYO chairs, food, drinks, etc. & pm me if you have specific questions.

Hello Vikc

Welcome to Brisbane and North Lakes! As you're probably already found out, there are quite a number of Poms in NL and OH & I arrange 3 monthly get-togethers for those recently (or not so recently) arrived, so people can meet others that have been through the same, swop information and hints and get to make new friends.

If you want to join us, the next will be Saturday 12 July, 2pm til you have to go (it'll be dark around 5pm but there will be lights) at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School). BYO chairs, food, drinks, etc. & pm me if you have specific questions.

Hi Pat

I'm over first week in July but will be living in Warner. Is the invite open to anyone?

Thanks

Absolutely open to anyone - you don't have to be living in North Lakes. We arranged it for NL purely because it's convenient for a lot of people who are new to Brisbane. Warner isn't far from NL - about 15-20 minutes' drive (Warner is just west of Strathpine). If you get a satnav/gps you'll find Aurora Boulevard ok. If you don't Google Maps will help you, or contact me once you're here and I'll give you directions. There's also the paper book, published annually (in November), called the UBD (costs around $30) and it gives all road, parks, schools, shopping centres, etc. information for south-east Queensland, including the Gold Coast (south) and the Sunshine Coast (north).

When we first arrived, we were told distances, not miles/kilometres, so we now say 'it's so-and-so time'. Sunshine Coast is about an hour. Gold Coast is about 1.5 hours' drive, Brisbane City/cbd (out of rush hour) is 30-40 minutes' drive.

Hope this helps.