189 or 190?

Jude

Hi all - some advice please!

Ive go a total of 65 points or 70 with state sponsorship. I'm intending on moving to Melbourne as have friends there. I'm a Sonographer so qualify for 189 or 190.

Which should I go for? Is either one easier or quicker?

Confused........:wacko:

They are pretty much the same, other than you have to go through a state sponsorship process for the 190. Although once you get the sponsorship, then you will get an invite to apply, whereas you could be waiting on the 189.

Maybe lodge an EOI for both and if the 189 invite comes through whilst you are sorting out sponsroship then abandon sponsorship and just go for 189.

You also need to apply to Victoria for state sponsorship and look on their state website to check if your skills are on their skill wanted list if you want the 190.

I don't know how long Vic are taking to process state sponsorships at present though.

Like Johnnyenglish says though, put them both on your EOI, if the 189 invite comes before you get the Vic SS then all good.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't know either that one can express more than one option as visa subclass in the EOI. Question though here: does one have to pay 2 VAC (visa application charge) ? Or how does this work from the cost point of view?

You only pay the VAC when you actually lodge the visa application (not when you submit the EOI) so you only pay a single VAC for the visa you're applying for.