Australian expressions

lamada

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what else drives me nuts,,,,names!!!

Have they chosen the name before the baby is born and then no matter, what sex, they just use a variable of the name they have chosen, or they use some wild west name,we have a LorrettaLee, up the road:). I used to work with a guy called Mallon (I kept calling him Melon, I just could not grasp that name:) )

Why is everyone here a legend or a bloody hero. Yes and newsreaders as previously said ambo's, servo's oh for the BBC with real English. Can't believe how much it annoys me hearing the English language absolutely slaughtered on a daily basis either in work or on tv, no grammar, can't spell, thank goodness for Uk Education, it gets knocked but doesn't everything back home. People perhaps need to spend a but of time in these places to realise how lucky they are and what they have back home, a good life isn't just sunshine and other than having good drying weather for my washing can't think of anything else i like about Aus, yep that would be it.

LOL Graciemay, you forgot the wide car parking spaces as something to miss! Our washing got nicely dry on Sunday - only 8C but a good wind, and it didn't get bleached to billyoh on the line! Have you noticed how many people have a bleached V in the front of their trousers from hanging on the line with the zip open? (Learned that one the hard way!)

LOL Graciemay, you forgot the wide car parking spaces as something to miss! Our washing got nicely dry on Sunday - only 8C but a good wind, and it didn't get bleached to billyoh on the line! Have you noticed how many people have a bleached V in the front of their trousers from hanging on the line with the zip open? (Learned that one the hard way!)

Im going to start looking now, hadent noticed that before:)

Oh and we dont have any wide car parking spaces here, thats why my car has so many dents,from retards opening thier door into me;)

This one's probably because I'm from the North of England but a real estate agent was trying to explain to me they were on Norfolk Street pronouced Nor-folk (as in folk music) and I just couldn't get it - in the end she had to spell it and the penny dropped an I said 'ah Nor-fuk'.....(as in well....) :) I suddenly realised how strange it sounded! :)

chuckles to self, talk to myself alot since coming here, only way to get a decent answer. Anywhoo wish it was possible to meet up with all the great people on here. Its a little slice of home all the banter, quick wit and humour. Makes me smile when i read all the posts. Thank you it helps when your a million miles from home and a stranger in the current family home.

chuckles to self, talk to myself alot since coming here, only way to get a decent answer. Anywhoo wish it was possible to meet up with all the great people on here. Its a little slice of home all the banter, quick wit and humour. Makes me smile when i read all the posts. Thank you it helps when your a million miles from home and a stranger in the current family home.

It is great isant it,being able to experience a great sense of humour on here,I find myself laughing out loud, when I read some of the posts:)

I talk to myself as well,,,,,,so glad you do it as well:)

Afternoon tea is ENGLISH! Very English - served at the Ritz and the likes! Cucumber sandwiches, cakes and lashings of tea!

Yes, but most of this lot wouldn't get in!!! And also whats with 'intimate apparel' in Target, it's like living on the set of Are You Being Served.

I think its really weird,,,,cant my head round that word :err:

Apparently its because in the early days the cotton linens etc were shipped from the cotton mills of Manchester. Now i am not saying that ladies ( i use that term loosely) here have large bottoms but when an order for ladies cotton knickers was cancelled a cotton mill in Manchester closed down.

Pro-ject

Tonnnn, (as opposed to 'tun' for the unit of volume)

Fish and Chippery

Emphasis on 'Shire', e.g. York-SHIRE, Wilt-SHIRE

:laugh:

oh the tonnnn thing my oh and i have argued about that one and he agreed with them!!!! He's been had, too late for him and he can't be saved damned and doomed to spend the rest of his miserable life here. In general they speak phonically, i had someone asking about a pt with surname of step-hen to you & me and the rest of the UK thats stephen for all those playing at home

oh the tonnnn thing my oh and i have argued about that one and he agreed with them!!!! He's been had, too late for him and he can't be saved damned and doomed to spend the rest of his miserable life here. In general they speak phonically, i had someone asking about a pt with surname of step-hen to you & me and the rest of the UK thats stephen for all those playing at home

In their defence (something I seldom do tbh) isn't there is difference in pronunciation of their metric 'tonne' to our imperial 'ton'...? I may be wrong..

I tell you what else drives me nuts,,,,names!!!

Have they chosen the name before the baby is born and then no matter, what sex, they just use a variable of the name they have chosen, or they use some wild west name,we have a LorrettaLee, up the road:). I used to work with a guy called Mallon (I kept calling him Melon, I just could not grasp that name:) )

The names they call their children are shocking, I nearly burst out laughing sometimes when I was told the names of people's children, here's a few of my favourites....oh and apologies in advance if I offend ananyone

boys names

Steele

donald and his brother diesel

clayton

dallas

hudson

chanel

neo

girls names

bonnie-lee

arwen

jape