457 Health Care

Guest guest68546

Guest guest68546

What is the health care situation for those working on a 457 Visa? My Irish mate and his partner are both working in Oz on a 457 Visa, I said I would try and find out as I didn't know. When I came out on a 457, my company provided me with health care insurance cover until my PR came through so it was never really relevant to me. He's a teacher working on year to year contracts. Any links to information would also be welcome.

Cheers

Hi, have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

As far as I understand it, all 457 visa holders require health insurance until they've at least entered Australia. Upon arrival, if they're from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement and they're eligible to enroll for medicare, then "Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501." so they'd be able to cancel the health insurance they'd taken out. If they're not eligible to enrol for Medicare (from a country with no reciprocal agreement) then they'd need to maintain private health insurance.