Is it me or Sydney houses are just old looking and ugly ?

Clankaroo

Sydney may be smaller than London, and it's not officially Australia's capital - but to all intents and purposes, you should think of Sydney as Australia's London. It's where most of the jobs are, it's the financial centre, and rentals and house prices are comparable. Would you expect to afford a large, modern house close to the centre of London? Or Paris? My sister has a high-powered job in London and she still has to commute over an hour to get to work. It's unreasonable to expect Sydney to be different.

If you want to avoid a commute, then you'd be better off considering a smaller city like Newcastle, Wollongong. How old are you and what kind of "life" are you looking for - restaurants? culture? nightlife?

I agree with this. So basically If I want to live in a "sufficiently nice" and modern house I will need to live far away from the cbd.. This will mean long commute time then, 1 hour or more ? Not really quality life I would say. Being from Europe, I'm used to that (actually even more than 1 hour) and don't want to go on with that kind of lifestyle: work , commute time and little time left for leisure..

Having been to Melbourne and Canberra as well, I found the houses in Canbera to be much more modern and the neighborhoods more nice. Probably built in the last 5 years. Anyway, there does not seem to be much life over there and besides I am only sponsored by nsw, so out of question. Just a comment to compare.

As far as I am concerned, the bad state and price of real estate in Sydney is a huge drawback to me moving. What's the point of moving to a nice country that is doing so well economically if I have to pay through the nose for an old ugly house I won't like ? I am really starting to wonder if moving to oz is the right thing to do..

I am trying not to sound too negative but if the houses were large, modern and close to the cbd at least this would justify the level of prices I am seeing online but they are not...