register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

gwolst77

Bereavement Flights

Hi

We've had some bad news and my wife will have to travel back to the UK within the next week or so.

A few Australian mates in the office had mentioned that I should phone Qantas up and see if I could get a bereavement flight.

I've done a bit of Googling but not sure you can get the same type of discounts as you did five years ago

Has any fellow PIO members had an experience of getting a Bereavement fare and if so what so of money did they pay? I've got a feeling you have to submit death certificates etc and to be honest if I am only going to be saving a $100 or so (which is better than nothing), I don't know if it is worth the hassle and the additional upset it will cause.

Edited by gwolst77

Guest Guest16631

.........I cannot offer any help............but would like to offer my condolences............to you both.............good luck with the flights and take care.......tink x

So sorry for your loss. You get different reports of airline willingness to get bereavement flights (IIRC you have to have documents to prove the death) but probably your best bet is just to max out the credit card and get what you want when you want it. It's at times like this when you wish you had Kinsure. Hope you can get back ASAP

Sorry for your news.

It's a long time ago but I got one with Air Canada when I had to return home in a hurry, I did indeed have to provide a death certificate. I think it has changed a little now, I am led to believe they don't give better fares these days but they will do their upmost to get you on a flight as soon as they can.

I'm sorry for your loss :cry: It's a horrible thing to be overseas when a friend or family member is terminally ill or dying - when my dad died, my brother was in Japan. He had to fly back home by himself. Not something I'd wish on anyone.

Perth Furnished Rentals

- providing quality rental properties

Guest littlesarah

I don't know about compassionate flights, but I know that BA have a sale on at the moment - I looked in the early hours of this morning, and the price of a return SYD-LHR came in at just under $1800.

Changes were permitted, at a fee of $100 per ticket, but refunds are limited to taxes only.

You could try http://www.bestflights.com.au or http://www.skyscanner.net for flights - or even just to get an idea of what deals are around before booking directly with the airline.

Im so sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to get sorted. Does anyone know if there are insurance policies that you can take out to help fly back at times like these?

Has anyone seen the Seinfeld episode on this very topic ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

You can ask for a privacy seat, meaning they'll block out the seat next to you if the flight isn't full to make the flight a bit more comfortable. Etihad and Virgin Australia do it.

856 Melbourne CoE, IT Field | Application & Nomination (both DRC) Submitted: 16 March 2012 >> Acknowledgment Received: 03 April 2012 >> Approved: 05 June 2012.

Guest Guest26012

So sorry! Hope you get sorted with flights.

Sorry to hear your news. I know that quite a few years ago Qantas would make sure you got on a flight quickly but did not offer it any cheaper .

Thanks for all the kind messages.

My father in law has been given a few weeks to live, so my wife is going to fly back next week until after the funeral. I only emigrated out here in September and the wife and kids only landed at the end of November, so we were not expecting to be visiting the UK so soon. Normally the cost would not be an issue but with setting up home and so soon after Xmas any savings I make will be really helpful.

I have been using Skyscanner for years, currently Etihad are doing a return Melbourne to Manchester for approx $1898, Emirates are a close second but BA and Qantas are way of the mark price wise (and to be honest the always seem to be the most expensive)/. My preference is always Emirates and Etihad but cost is the main issue for this trip (within reason).

I have played around using different carriers and airports, but once you factor in the cost of traveling to the other airport in the UK it's not worth it.

A few people in work have bought return tickets from Singapore to the UK and then caught a cheap flight from Oz to Singapore, but because this is short notice it does not really save any significant money.

Edited by gwolst77

Try ringing the airlines direct they might improve on the price.I had to cancel a flight that had no refund option but when i sent death cert they refunded me the monies for the whole family.

Im so sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to get sorted. Does anyone know if there are insurance policies that you can take out to help fly back at times like these?

There is indeed - used to be Kinsure but now Kindred Travel http://www.kindredtravel.com/new_index.html

my parents took this for years just in case. Fortunately we didn't need it back then but it's peanuts for a "just in case" scenario

There is indeed - used to be Kinsure but now Kindred Travel http://www.kindredtravel.com/new_index.html

my parents took this for years just in case. Fortunately we didn't need it back then but it's peanuts for a "just in case" scenario

Do read the small print though as it only covers relatives up to a certain age and does not cover pre-existing conditions so we couldn't take it out.

Thats sad and I hope your wife gets 'home ' in time to say goodbye to her Dad

Try to talk to the airline direct Singapore airline is very good

I had a flight booked for my Mums 100th birthday but she died 2 months before that date

I was booked with Singapore & KLM ended up paying $150 extra to change the flight to the UK but was advised there would be no further charge

But on the way back KLM charged me 300 quid before I got on the plane at Newcastle !

I argued it when back in Oz and was eventually reimbursed but ! Singapore ailrines had made no charge whatsoever it was KLM

I had used my credit card insurance to book the flight and did not read the fine print - it covered death of a family member but only in Oz

Long story I know but check things out very carefully to give both you and you wife peace of mind

I understand that bereavement fares are not really any cheaper but they make inventory available even if the flight is already full.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship