Racism

Kelvin Charles

I am in Adelaide and my experience here is that racism is alive & kicking think Alf Garnett, love thy neighbour, i know everywhere has it but i can honestly say i see more here than i did in lancashire where there is a real mixture. As an English person i've had more than my fair share i work in the medical industry and have been told all poms are arrogant bastards, i'm the outsider and they don't like outsiders and apparently english people don't bathe, brush their teeth, change their bed linen, we are dirty people. Go to a few open inspections i wouldn't let my dog sleep on the floor of most properties oh and yes i am heading home, if i am going to be insulted it will be by a better class of folk. Save your money and stay where you are.

I am in Adelaide and my experience here is that racism is alive & kicking think Alf Garnett, love thy neighbour, i know everywhere has it but i can honestly say i see more here than i did in lancashire where there is a real mixture. As an English person i've had more than my fair share i work in the medical industry and have been told all poms are arrogant bastards, i'm the outsider and they don't like outsiders and apparently english people don't bathe, brush their teeth, change their bed linen, we are dirty people. Go to a few open inspections i wouldn't let my dog sleep on the floor of most properties oh and yes i am heading home, if i am going to be insulted it will be by a better class of folk. Save your money and stay where you are.

Oh the irony!

Sounds like a case of pot and kettle. Lol.

Ok, just a heads up, the OP was about racism in Australia. The last time I checked I don't think utes have anything to do with racism.

So please boys and girls can we get back on topic, and if you wish to discuss the merits of utes, I suggest perhaps starting your own thread.

Thanks in advance for your co operation.

Cheers

Karen

Don't forget to tell us when you have left. We probably will not notice otherwise.

Nah, it's fine here. We live in qld and it's very multicultural, the aborigines and the Pacific Islanders seem to hold some kind of grudge against eachother but that's all I've seen. I work with people from 8 (yes 8!) different nationalities as well as Aussie born guys. There is such a cultural mix and generally it's fine, as always with any society you will find the odd arsehole!

Guest Thebutler

What about Darwin ??! No one here seems to mention Darwin Northern Territory ! How's the racist situation there ? I am of a mixed-race dad White mom Indian, i look pretty much Indian though. I was in Melbourne for a month and i didn't face any racism, it was so multicultral infact a cute anglo Australian woman at a large pharmacy near Elizabeth street wouldn't take her eyes off me, she was so friendly and she smiled ALOT at me i felt like she was coming on to me but no sure :P . I also saw an adult Indian man and Anglo woman making out right outside a hotel and no one was staring or holding pitchforks about it. The only thing i noticed, unlike the united states where large groups are usually mixed of all races, in melbourne groups of people / friends seemed more of 1 race, so white ppl would group with whites, chinese with chinese etc.

I MIGHT be moving to Darwin with my wife soon, although i haven't decided yet (will decide soon). So i would like to know what's the Racism situation up there in Darwin appreciate any comments, thanks !

Edited by Thebutler

Ok, just a heads up, the OP was about racism in Australia. The last time I checked I don't think utes have anything to do with racism.

So please boys and girls can we get back on topic, and if you wish to discuss the merits of utes, I suggest perhaps starting your own thread.

Thanks in advance for your co operation.

Cheers

Karen

I'm sorry things have obviously changed since you last looked. The Bogans have become a race and it is non-PC and culturally insensitive of you to treat their V8 utes with the lowered suspension (not a diesel ute which is merely the symbol of a tradie) any differently than you would the cultural symbols of any other race.

Look, if anybody is worried about racism in Australia, then I suggest you move to a more enlightened country, somewhere on the Indian sub-continent, perhaps, or how about Africa, or the Middle East?

Australia is one of the LEAST racist countries, something you might find surprising consider the melting pot that is Sydney and Melbourne.

Edited by MARYROSE02

Look, if anybody is worried about racism in Australia, then I suggest you move to a more enlightened country, somewhere on the Indian sub-continent, perhaps, or how about Africa, or the Middle East?

Australia is one of the LEAST racist countries, something you might find surprising consider the melting pot that is Sydney and Melbourne.

I see your point, but that shouldnt be used as an excuse for racial/cultural intolerance along the lines of 'Fit in or F off'.

I find your posts on this subject rather smug and arrogant: there is always room for improvement, no?

I see your point, but that shouldnt be used as an excuse for racial/cultural intolerance along the lines of 'Fit in or F off'.

I find your posts on this subject rather smug and arrogant: there is always room for improvement, no?

Of course there is. They could always add "now" to the end of the slogan. :tongue::wink:

I think Australia is one of the least racist countries in the world and I have travelled a lot. It is not perfect but certainly peeople here seem much more accepting of other races than many other countries, including Asian, European and African. Sorry if people find my view offensive and/or smug but that is genuinely what I have found during my lifetime.

There is indeed a smugness with regards to race in Australia. To be fair it is a fairly recent phenomenon. It is only in the last decade that the government has clearly stated where Australia's future lays. Of course there has been Non Europeans arriving in numbers since the late 70's.......but nothing like the numbers or having the wealth and position as far more recent times.

Australians not being a demonstrative people outside of certain talk back radio programs have had little to say and on the surface all can appear to be fine to the outside observer. Just certain times there may be a whiff of discontent....I still think it is an open question a lot of issues around racism.

It is also a question just how deep the next down turn will be as well as a question of how far down the road does the government go towards increased Asianation and the ability of longer term folk to feel comfortable with the changes......and in what way will disent manifest if at all.

I look at Britain nearly forty years after the 75 vote to stay and be a part of Europe still debating the subject with a majority against after all these years.......fear of loss of identity and the like. I know not the samething exactly.....but the case of identity could be a common factor in the medium longer term issue of race in Australia, or

not?...as the case may well be........

Guest Thebutler
I'm sorry things have obviously changed since you last looked. The Bogans have become a race and it is non-PC and culturally insensitive of you to treat their V8 utes with the lowered suspension (not a diesel ute which is merely the symbol of a tradie) any differently than you would the cultural symbols of any other race.

I just love how many Australians LOVE to compare their country's social development to 3rd world nations when referring to their shortcomings, followed by the usual F*** off and go back to where u came from. Somehow makes them feel better about themselves i guess ?

Edited by Thebutler

feels alien to me browsing through this thread, it seems like a different world!

the australia ive seen, melbourne & surrounds, is the most multicultural place i've ever visited, and i've travelled a whole lot!

You aren't the only one. The Aust I live in certainly doesn't resemble the one being described in some posts.

I was trying to upload the photo i took of a swastika carved into the pavement here in nsw.... i dont know how to get it off my phone..sorry.. anyway apart from being asked if i was a wog ( this is a compliment i am told that i look italian or spanish) i havent heard the racist language directed at anyone i heard in the uk...

I was trying to upload the photo i took of a swastika carved into the pavement here in nsw.... i dont know how to get it off my phone..sorry.. anyway apart from being asked if i was a wog ( this is a compliment i am told that i look italian or spanish) i havent heard the racist language directed at anyone i heard in the uk...

This is a really tough subject to debate, because people often second guess other people’s intentions as well as other’s right (or not) to feel offended. If something has always been said or done in a certain way, possibly with no real malice on the part of the person doing it, that person can often feel aggrieved when someone else suggests their behaviour is offensive.

I wouldn’t use the term wog, nor would I be comfortable around people who use it. To me it has derogatory connotations, although I can see some one else might use it if they were certain the recipient would take it as a compliment......but I'd prefer other ways to compliment or describe people, without making reference to their race or background as though it were some sort of universal indicator. And saying you ‘don’t mean to offend’ is not a good enough reason to carry on offending IMO. Why should others have to put up with labels, and attitudes and behaviour that affects them, just because the person dishing it out is comfortable with it?

I know there are always exceptions to the rule, and there’s every chance someone will know someone who’s happy to be called X,Y or Z, but in general, I think it much easier for the person who ‘doesn’t mean to offend’, to find another way of saying / doing something to ensure that they don’t.

I take your point though Delaneym, and my post isn't specifically about Aus or the UK, because racism is not exclusive to either country unfortunately.

We are in Queensland and yes I occassionally get called a Pom but I am quick to remind them about the cricket! Its usually banter and they are not very PC. But I wouldn't say there was the horrible racial hatred here that I saw in the UK with Islamophobia - much more of have a fair go attitude. A decent chap is recognised here as such - just get involved and the nonsense soon fades.

This is a really tough subject to debate, because people often second guess other people’s intentions as well as other’s right (or not) to feel offended. If something has always been said or done in a certain way, possibly with no real malice on the part of the person doing it, that person can often feel aggrieved when someone else suggests their behaviour is offensive.

I wouldn’t use the term wog, nor would I be comfortable around people who use it. To me it has derogatory connotations, although I can see some one else might use it if they were certain the recipient would take it as a compliment......but I'd prefer other ways to compliment or describe people, without making reference to their race or background as though it were some sort of universal indicator. And saying you ‘don’t mean to offend’ is not a good enough reason to carry on offending IMO. Why should others have to put up with labels, and attitudes and behaviour that affects them, just because the person dishing it out is comfortable with it?

I know there are always exceptions to the rule, and there’s every chance someone will know someone who’s happy to be called X,Y or Z, but in general, I think it much easier for the person who ‘doesn’t mean to offend’, to find another way of saying / doing something to ensure that they don’t.

I take your point though Delaneym, and my post isn't specifically about Aus or the UK, because racism is not exclusive to either country unfortunately.

Totally agree, very good post.

I don't think Australia is a particularly racist country, well its certainly no worse than in Britain!

One thing that has shocked me in my time on PIO is the casual way in which the (apparent) majority uses very derogatory terms and generalisations about ethnic groups, the main recipients being Asians IMO. I shudder to think what some people from these ethnic backgrounds must feel when they read such comments. I suspect most are too scared to comment and just look elsewhere.

The thing I can't decide is whether this prevailing attitude reflects society in general, or whether it is skewed by the sorts of people who wish to migrate to a country which they perceive to be free from (or at least not as burdened by) multiculturalism.

Who said 'Fit in or **** off? I have never used that expression in my life.

But to me it is patently obvious that countries like Australia actually have the best records on racism.

Why else would people from other races want to come and live here?

How many people, every year, flee FROM Australia to seek asylum in another, non-white, country?

The problem is that when people talk about racism they are talking about WHITE racism, not racism based upon religion, caste, tribe, which is often far worse. The caste system in India has been in existence for hundreds of years. Which is worse? 'Untouchable' in India or 'non-white in Apartheid South Africa? At the very least, they are equally awful but people only ever protested about apartheid. Why? Because it was perpetuated by whites.

Guest Thebutler
Who said 'Fit in or **** off? I have never used that expression in my life.

But to me it is patently obvious that countries like Australia actually have the best records on racism.

Why else would people from other races want to come and live here?

How many people, every year, flee FROM Australia to seek asylum in another, non-white, country?

The problem is that when people talk about racism they are talking about WHITE racism, not racism based upon religion, caste, tribe, which is often far worse. The caste system in India has been in existence for hundreds of years. Which is worse? 'Untouchable' in India or 'non-white in Apartheid South Africa? At the very least, they are equally awful but people only ever protested about apartheid. Why? Because it was perpetuated by whites.

what a load of rubbish. What does the "Caste system" in India has ANYTHING to do with the racism issue in Australia. You're one of those "Reverse-Racism" pundits, the idea of which was initially developed by white-supremacists and the KKK, later adopted by mainstream Australians as a coping mechanism when they can't accept that fact that racism is a deep rooted problem in their country. Give me a break, if a person is being racist in Australia, then he is racist end of story. If someone says something racist on a bus, ITS NOT "Oh, he's just expressing his opinion", its racist end of story. Alot of people here have stated its a serious problem, so why you gotta deny it, instead offer your reasoning as to why you think its not a problem, but in the context of Australia and other socially developed multicultural nations, such as the US, UK, not comparing it to Africa and the like which is unrelated.

Australia DOES NOT have the best record in terms of racism, that is false. Every other international sportsman, actor, and artist have stated countless times that they felt they were in 60's America when they arrived in Australia. A quick google search on Australian racism with give you Thousands of stories of people's (such as students) negative racial experiences. The fact politicians talk so openly against various races, and receive millions of votes is a fact that can't be ignored, something that should be illegal and shamed in a socially developed nation. No developed country has radio Hosts with clear open racist hateful agendas and yet they are celebrated by millions of listeners instead of being shamed or barely enjoying a limited following. I also find it ridiculous how you constantly compare Australia's social development with 3rd world nations.

Edited by Thebutler

If you express your feelings and someone is offended by it, then nowadays it is classed as racism, bigoted or sexist.

But unfortunately if that person does not agree with you then they are not any of the above.

By being open and honest in expressing your feelings first then you are culpable to having the finger pointed at you.

The loonies are taking over the asylum.