Racism

Kelvin Charles

Australia is a racist country, to be fair most countries are to some degree. I have found racism in Australia to be quite overt but can also be subtle and laughably passed off 'just the Aussie way' or that it is a joke. The racism directed at Aboriginals especially in the north is mindboggling.Whether it is better or worse than where you currently are very much depends on where you are headed.

I have been here 18 years, and know that Australia is very racist. I think this is endemic in so many countries now with the shift of populations and refugees. What I don't like is when it is denied.

Australian population policy was rooted in racism in favouring White migrants. I have only seen the issue of Indigenous Australians raised only twice in all of these posts! Why is that? The White occupation of Australia resulted in exploitation and elimination of its Indigenous peoples. That's racism. But is it only in the past? Aboriginals live largely entirely separately from the White population. It is a covert unofficial apartheid. In Adelaide Indigenous Australians have/had a separate Housing Authority than all other groups. I don't know if that still exists.

One month ago I was sitting in the waiting room at the local hospital. It has two 'bays' of approximately 30 seats. 'We' sat in one, and then I noticed an Indigenous Australian on his own sitting in the other bay. I moved to sit in his bay because I realised the message I was complicit in sending. Was this seating choice (by us, I mean) racist?

.............and then a nurse walked up to this completely sober man quietly sitting there and told him-loudly and condescendingly- to wipe the blood from off the floor that had dripped from his injured leg.

.....the blood from my knee had also dripped on the floor. She saw it. Neither of us was badly injured so we had to wait. But he was treated differently. THAT is racism.

And to my complete and utter shame I said nothing.

From my own observation's from arrival in 2003 to now it seems that Aborigine's are used only as a marketing tool when advertiseing Australia to prospective tourists. If people really saw how they and others lived here i wonder if it would still be one of the best places in the world to live, opinion not fact i think.

Guest guest80131

It's all down to how sensitive you are to it, and the situation you're in. If you find the word "Pom" offensive, it's worth pointing out that it supposedly stands for "Prisoner Of the Motherland", and given that modern Australia was formed as a Convict Colony, who are the real prisoners? Of course that is only banter, but I've found the way to deal with it is to deflect it or join in the banter. Thank the Barmy Army. "Pom" isn't racist in my opinion, otherwise so are the words "Aussies", "Kiwi's" and "Yanks".

In my time in Australia I have met all kinds of different people, different races and nationalities and I find it to be no different in attitude to here in England. It's just a different method. For example, one of my friends out there of Indian descent refers to himself as a "Curry muncher" whereas other Indians I know out there would be highly offended by it. I think racism is born out of hate, and it's an individual interpretation. I must also point out that Kevin Bloody Wilson is my favourite comedian and while he uses words that are racially sensitive, it's desensitised by humour.

I have only seen the issue of Indigenous Australians raised only twice in all of these posts! Why is that?

The thread was started by a prospective migrant of mixed race from the UK wondering how he would fare. The issue of Aboriginal Australians is not necessarily relevant to his situation.

Aboriginals live largely entirely separately from the White population

That's bunkum. A very large percentage live in towns, cities and communities throughout Australia alongside other Australians.

In Adelaide Indigenous Australians have/had a separate Housing Authority than all other groups.

Yes. It is called positive discrimination, or affirmative action. It means that groups considered disadvantaged are given special assistance in finding accommodation, subsidised rentals and special low interest mortgage loans which are not available to others.

Edited by Skani

I have been here 18 years, and know that Australia is very racist. I think this is endemic in so many countries now with the shift of populations and refugees. What I don't like is when it is denied.

Australian population policy was rooted in racism in favouring White migrants. I have only seen the issue of Indigenous Australians raised only twice in all of these posts! Why is that? The White occupation of Australia resulted in exploitation and elimination of its Indigenous peoples. That's racism. But is it only in the past? Aboriginals live largely entirely separately from the White population. It is a covert unofficial apartheid. In Adelaide Indigenous Australians have/had a separate Housing Authority than all other groups. I don't know if that still exists.

One month ago I was sitting in the waiting room at the local hospital. It has two 'bays' of approximately 30 seats. 'We' sat in one, and then I noticed an Indigenous Australian on his own sitting in the other bay. I moved to sit in his bay because I realised the message I was complicit in sending. Was this seating choice (by us, I mean) racist?

.............and then a nurse walked up to this completely sober man quietly sitting there and told him-loudly and condescendingly- to wipe the blood from off the floor that had dripped from his injured leg.

.....the blood from my knee had also dripped on the floor. She saw it. Neither of us was badly injured so we had to wait. But he was treated differently. THAT is racism.

You have been here for 18 years? You obviously haven't learned very much. The Aboriginals who live in their own communities do so because that's where they prefer to live. I know a good number who live in mixed communities. As for the Aboriginal housing and other Aboriginal authorities, these exist because they want to control what is done with the money allotted. Redfern, in Sydney, is a prime example. The Block, as the area was known, belonged to the Aboriginals and to put it mildly it was a dump. However, their housing authority rehomed everyone to various places in and around Sydney/ Central Coast, knocked the lot down and are rebuilding. They have already stated that only those who can behave appropriately will be offered the chance to return. So what you call racism is actually self determination. As for the hospital incident; you should be ashamed. It doesn't matter what a person's ethnicity is that should not be allowed to pass without something being said. Lastly, don't forget that it was the British who started the decimation of the Aboriginal and the problems started then are very difficult to solve now.

It's all down to how sensitive you are to it, and the situation you're in. If you find the word "Pom" offensive, it's worth pointing out that it supposedly stands for "Prisoner Of the Motherland", and given that modern Australia was formed as a Convict Colony, who are the real prisoners? Of course that is only banter, but I've found the way to deal with it is to deflect it or join in the banter. Thank the Barmy Army. "Pom" isn't racist in my opinion, otherwise so are the words "Aussies", "Kiwi's" and "Yanks".

In my time in Australia I have met all kinds of different people, different races and nationalities and I find it to be no different in attitude to here in England. It's just a different method. For example, one of my friends out there of Indian descent refers to himself as a "Curry muncher" whereas other Indians I know out there would be highly offended by it. I think racism is born out of hate, and it's an individual interpretation. I must also point out that Kevin Bloody Wilson is my favourite comedian and while he uses words that are racially sensitive, it's desensitised by humour.

Racism is born out of ignorance and fear. Hopefully Brand Australia humour may develop and become a little more sophiscated with time.

So you thought you'd join PIO to tell us all how racist Australia is in your first post? Sorry, don't buy it.

The thread was started by a prospective migrant of mixed race from the UK wondering how he would fare. The issue of Aboriginal Australians is not necessarily relevant to his situation.

That's bunkum. A very large percentage live in towns, cities and communities throughout Australia alongside other Australians.

Yes. It is called positive discrimination, or affirmative action. It means that groups considered disadvantaged are given special assistance in finding accommodation, subsidised rentals and special low interest mortgage loans which are not available to others.

Thank-you for your comments. The nature of a discussion forum is to relate experience/agree/disagree.

We disagree.

Yeah i noticed that with jobs too, when dave was applying for them they all said things like "we strongly encourage aboriginal australians to apply" and sometimes mentioned training etc

You have been here for 18 years? You obviously haven't learned very much. The Aboriginals who live in their own communities do so because that's where they prefer to live. I know a good number who live in mixed communities. As for the Aboriginal housing and other Aboriginal authorities, these exist because they want to control what is done with the money allotted. Redfern, in Sydney, is a prime example. The Block, as the area was known, belonged to the Aboriginals and to put it mildly it was a dump. However, their housing authority rehomed everyone to various places in and around Sydney/ Central Coast, knocked the lot down and are rebuilding. They have already stated that only those who can behave appropriately will be offered the chance to return. So what you call racism is actually self determination. As for the hospital incident; you should be ashamed. It doesn't matter what a person's ethnicity is that should not be allowed to pass without something being said. Lastly, don't forget that it was the British who started the decimation of the Aboriginal and the problems started then are very difficult to solve now.

Thank you for your comments.

For some the cup is half full. For others it is half empty. The same with opinions. You give your opinion. I give mine.

So you thought you'd join PIO to tell us all how racist Australia is in your first post? Sorry, don't buy it.

Thank you for your comments.

I am so sorry. I realise that I did not observe the apprenticeship of being 'new'. I checked the forum rules and could not find anything about this.

I very much appreciate this feedback. It is so enlightening. Particularly as the title is 'Racism'.

To the OP - Racism exists in Aust in the same way it exists everywhere. However my family is like a bag of licorice allsorts and none of them have ever had any problems.

There are some problems here between some members of different groups (Aboriginal v's Islanders, Croats v's Serbs, Sunni v's Shiite etc) but they don't even impact normal people in those groups and certainly don't impact the majority of people living in Aust.

Treat people with respect and the vast majority will treat you the same way.

Thank-you for your comments. The nature of a discussion forum is to relate experience/agree/disagree.

We disagree.

There are matters of opinion where we can agree or disagree.

There are also matters of fact. For example, you said

Aboriginals live largely entirely separately from the White population. It is a covert unofficial apartheid

The 2011 Census found that the largest proportion of Aboriginals live in urban and regional centres eg.

53,000+ in Brisbane

52,000+ in Sydney - Wollongong

52,000+ on NSW Central and North Coast

25,000+ in Perth

23,000+ in Cairns - Atherton etc. etc.

Then in your next sentence, also implying apartheid:

In Adelaide Indigenous Australians have/had a separate Housing Authority than all other groups.

Rather than a separate Housing Authority to keep Aboriginals away from white Australians, the purpose of it was to give them extra assistance to obtain housing within the community.

These are facts, not matters of opinion.

There are matters of opinion where we can agree or disagree.

There are also matters of fact. For example, you said

The 2011 Census found that the largest proportion of Aboriginals live in urban and regional centres eg.

53,000+ in Brisbane

52,000+ in Sydney - Wollongong

52,000+ on NSW Central and North Coast

25,000+ in Perth

23,000+ in Cairns - Atherton etc. etc.

Then in your next sentence, also implying apartheid:

Rather than a separate Housing Authority to keep Aboriginals away from white Australians, the purpose of it was to give them extra assistance to obtain housing within the community.

These are facts, not matters of opinion.

Thank-you for your comments.

I can see that you feel you have extensive knowledge and feel the need to strongly convey that. Lies, damn lies and statistics, are a very useful tool to convey 'facts', but they are based in interpretation, and interpretation is opinion.

However, I am enjoying your posts.

And your opinion of the AHA.

. Lies, damn lies and statistics, are a very useful tool to convey 'facts', but they are based in interpretation, and interpretation is opinion.

Well, to take one example, I'm not sure how the 53,000+ Aboriginals who filled out the 2011 Census form in their Brisbane homes can be interpreted as Aboriginals living

entirely separately from the White population.

as you stated.

Well, to take one example, I'm not sure how the 53,000+ Aboriginals who filled out the 2011 Census form in their Brisbane homes can be interpreted as Aboriginals living

as you stated.

Thank-you for your comments.

I really admire your need to make your point very clearly and consistently. I hope that this approach has made you feel better.

It doesn't change my view, or what I said.

I am enjoying your posts though.

We moved to Queensland four months ago and I find the un-pc approach over here more positive than negative. My experience is that Aussies will say what they think without having to go around the houses to find the correct "PC" language. It's not a whole lot different than the UK 15-20 years ago before political correctness become entrenched.

I have heard disparaging comments about muslims on several occasions, but no more than you'd typically hear down the pub or behind closed doors in the UK.

Everyone is prejudiced - it's what enables you to form an opinion about anything, but I'd say the Aussies aren't backwards in coming forward.