Public transport in Melbourne

aduffield76

Hi all

we are arriving in melbourne in 3 weeks and staying in Black Rock.

we have organised a rental car for the duration of our stay but are also planning on using the public transport in melbourne.

What is the best way to use the transport? Are the trains or trams the best to use?

where would the best place to get the train/tram from Black Rock?

do we need to get a 'travel card' of some kind (like in London) or do you just pay at the station?

We are planning on using the car for the longer trips, Healesville, Geelong etc but want to use public transport around the city.....parking looks the most expensive I have ever seen!

we are trying to be as informed as possible before we arrive so we can hit the ground running (after we have recovered from the jet lag!)

Im calling on you experts out there to help me out!

thanks in advance

Andy

Sandringham is probably your best bet to get into the city from Black Rock. Trains are frequent and it's a short trip. Melbourne is pretty easy to walk around so once you get off in the city you can do it by foot, or use the free tram (Google this and it'll come up) which will take you to all the interesting bits if you get tired or we have one of the plus 30 days.

You can pay as you go or get a Myki card - again, Google this. It's similar to an Oyster card which you can top up.

Really? I can't keep up with the changes here! I know that the Metcard went out as of the end of last month but didn't realise that you can't just buy a one off ticket. My in-laws were doing that as late as November when they were over. It's a bit cheeky really considering that you have to pay for the priviledge of having a Myki, and that's before you put any credit on it!

Really? I can't keep up with the changes here! I know that the Metcard went out as of the end of last month but didn't realise that you can't just buy a one off ticket. My in-laws were doing that as late as November when they were over. It's a bit cheeky really considering that you have to pay for the priviledge of having a Myki, and that's before you put any credit on it!

Where have you been hibernatiing:laugh:? The hullabaloo about it has been going on in the papers and in social media.

If a visitor comes they have to buy a Myki Card and use it. Metcards are not acceptable at all now. Since Christmas, might have been before cannot remember.

we've been here 6 weeks and have only ever used myki, and we think its great.

get on any train tram or tube just go mad, and the system will deduct the lowest price at the end of the day.

we usually leave the car at our local train station and train into town. it costs just a little more than the fuel/tolls, but the convenience of just jumping on a tram for sometimes just 1 stop, is worth the extra.

its an rfid card too, which means you dont even have to take it out of your wallet, just place said wallet on the reader and you're away.

the only 'rule' is

touch on and off for trains

just touch on for trams

all good

Walk or get the bus to either Cheltenham or Mentone Station which is on the Frankston line. Froom there get the train into the city.

You will be able to buy a reusable Myki card at one of those stations.

Thanks guys,

I think we are going to get some Myki Tourist packs from Melbourne airport when we arrive so we can get started.

Thanks for all your help.

Andy