Sponsorship

Guest Mike4Mandy

Guest Mike4Mandy

Hi everyone,i dont know if anyone can help me with this one.I tried last year for my T.R.A. as a mason/paviour(Groundworker)the nearest on the list to my trade was a landscape gardener,so i was turned down.But now my wifes cousin has said he would sponsor us as he has his own landscape gardening business.Could we get in on a sponsorship and what would happen if i lost the job working for him six months down the line?

I would have a chat to an agent. I think it's a little more complicated than your wifes cousin saying they'll sponsor you - I think his business has to register themselves and meet certain requirements. Alan Collett will know, and I've seen a post recently regarding someone who said a hairdresser would sponsor them and didn't know what to do - and Gollywobbler posted a reply

Ali

Guest Mike4Mandy

Thanks for the reply.Have not spoke to the wifes cousin yet,i know his business has been up and running for years and he is keen to sponsor us,as he has lots of work.

Guest Gollywobbler
I would have a chat to an agent. I think it's a little more complicated than your wifes cousin saying they'll sponsor you - I think his business has to register themselves and meet certain requirements. Alan Collett will know, and I've seen a post recently regarding someone who said a hairdresser would sponsor them and didn't know what to do - and Gollywobbler posted a reply

Ali

Hi Ali., Hi Mike

Subsequently billy braveheart also replied to the thread which Ali has mentioned. He also advised the hairdresser lass to get an Agent involved because an employer who has never sponsored anyone for a visa before has to go through some sort of approval process. The employer has to get this approval first. Then he/she has to nominate the worker who will become the visa applicant and that has to be approved too. Finally the visa application gets under way. Billy is undoubtedly right, so I think it would be much easier to get an experienced Agent to help with the process.

Mike, the best thing is for you and your cousin to appoint an Agent between you and let the Agent examine the feasibility of the idea, plus guide both of you if the idea is viable.

Mike - I don't know what would happen if you lost the job later. I think it might depend on which of the visas you are on. Again, I think you should ask an Agent about this possibility. Alan Collett is based in Melbourne. He would definitely know how to sort all this out, plus it makes sese to use an Agent who is in Oz.

Alan's contact details are here:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Either of the Melbourne numbers should reach him or you can e-mail him on alan@gomatilda.com

Best wishes

Gill

Hello Mike.

There are employer sponsored temporary residency visas (subclass 457 is the usual one used) and employer sponsored permanent residency visas (granted under what is called the Employer Nomination Scheme, or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme if the employer is in "regional Australia").

Subclass 457 visas tie you to the employer - if you leave the employer you are looking at finding another employer to sponsor you, or you can start planning to leave Australia.

The permanent residency visas do not have automatic visa cancellation provisions, although the Department of Immigration can cancel a visa granted under the RSMS if the employee leaves the employer within 2 years. In practice though these provisions are not applied if a reasonable effort has been made to sustain the employment.

The eligibility requirements for the 457 visa are generally less troublesome than for the permanent visas (as you might expect), and processing times ought to be quicker for the 457 visa. I say "ought" - in practice they are often not at the moment: visas are being granted in many Business Centres more quickly under the ENS and RSMS than under the 457 subclass.

Have a look at the eligibility criteria for each visa by going to Department of Immigration and Citizenship and typing these terms into the search box:

- Employer Nomination Scheme

- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

And as Gill has said, we are here to have chat with you and/or your prospective sponsor/employer if needs be: T +61 3 9935 2929 (Melbourne) or +61 8 9261 7762 (Perth). Ask for me or my colleague Stephen Dickson - the call will be put through to us via either number.

Hope this helps.

Guest Mike4Mandy

Hi to everyone who replyed to my post.Im going to speak to my wifes cousin later in the week to see if he would be willing to sponsor me,once he knows how many hoops he has to jump though!If he is still willing to go though with it,i will then start talking to an agent.Who knows we may just make it over there!Thanks for the advise

Archived