New to site ... Qusestion about medical

Guest wardy

Guest wardy

Hi ..... We are at the start of the process to go to Australia {hopefully} but can anyone advise us. My husband is about three stone overweight but otherwise healthy do you think he will have a problem passing the medical has anyone else been accepted despite being overweight. Will try to get him to diet in the mean time.

Thanks

wardy

No worries, I was overweight and was a smoker, no problem with the medical so don't worry, they are really just after existing medical conditions and also potential problems for the state health system.

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

I wouldnt let this worry you at all. I've just had meds and all they are interested in are any long standing health problems, Test included: TB (chest x-ray) HIV test (blood test) eye sight and general health check up.

One thing the doctor did advise was to have your blood pressure taken first as many patients have this last and the reading is higher as they tend to get a llitle stressed throughout the examination.

Results are usually back within 10 days and the doctors lets you know if everything is ok before the appliaction is sent to Sydney.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Wardy

I agree with Neil. The person would have to be overweight to the extent that it is the direct cause of some other problem - eg heart-disease. They are not going to fuss about someone who is healthy and whose weight-problem could be cured by a better diet and more exercise. (Have you seen the size of some Australians?! I know a woman who.....! It was all done with a knife & fork, too!)

Cheers

Gill

Guest wardy

thanks everyone beginning to feel a lot less worried . I kept seeing things about the height weight ratio on some sites and thought it would be a big issue.

Thanks

Guest Nelson

I can't find any links but, recently, someone was declined a visa because shewas too thin :!: Have no worries :!:

Krista,

I saw that in the news, she denied having an eating disorder but she really did look anorexic - from the photo in the paper she looked about 12 and I mistook her for one of the children!

Ali

Guest Adi1962

Wardy,

I am in the same boat as your husband. Did worry initially but was never able to find anything that suggested it may be a problem.

I have made a pledge that if we can go, the minute we start the application process I will make the change in my life and get down to my "ideal" weight before we depart. Find it helps to have an incentive and 24 hours in a plane seat when your overweight is not going to be fun.

Adrian

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Just think when you get to Australia it's the "out door" lifestyle so with all that swimming, walking etc he'll be like a stick in no time at all.....

All the best.

Archived