The pro's and con's of Padstow, New South Wales (Sydney suburb)

MARYROSE02

I remember a few months back having a minor 'tiff' with someone on here about the virtues or otherwise of Padstow. I often drive through there on my way to my brother's place at Picnic Point, only 3 or 4 K further. On Sunday, I missed my usual turn off Davies St (Is it Davies? - the big road that goes from Bankstown to Menai?) thought I'd have to go over the river to ?Alfords? Point? but there was another right turn.

Anyway I stopped in Padstow to use the ATM and I had a walk round the little 'CBD' and it seems to have everything you'd want - plenty of shops, Woolies, pub, RSL, medical centres, dentists, restaurants - Greek, Thai, Indian, cafes, library, bus service, plus it's got a station, half an hour from Sydney, and probably about the same the other way to Campbelltown. Had a very 'Aussie' (i.e. Anglo Saxon) feel to it too. The homes are a mixture of the old fibro bungalows and the new build replacements that are popular in Sydney. I'd have no problem living there although I don't like suburbia having got used to the inner city. Revesby is the next station west and that has a bigger supermarket plus Revesby Workers Club. I could live in Revesby or Panania (one more stop west) too. And I guess Picnic Point where my brother lives is the 'posher' part, leafier, bigger homes.

I suppose it all comes down to what you can afford. Not sure if I COULD afford to buy there! Maybe I'd get $500,000 for my unit in Surry HIlls and there are probably units for that price in Revesby - not that many units to be honest although there's a nice block above the shops opposite Woolies.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and his family live in Padstow and I've stayed with them in the past for a few weeks. Nothing wrong with the place. Quiet. Families. Shops.

Con... a bit far on a train but not too far.

Oh, and I had cause to stay in Panania for a month once. I much prefer Padstow over Panania.

Edited by violethaze