Which diet do you recommend?

ian and laura

Couple of things - first (and I never thought I would say this, being something of a skeptic) can you get yourself tested for food intolerances. My chiropractor suggested it and I followed that advice and the first 25kg I needed to lose just fell off. I always poo pooed that notion until I tried it for myself (mind you, taking wheat and dairy out of any diet is going to be weight loss material!)

The next 25kg have been harder work especially as I now occasionally take things that are on my intolerant list (otherwise life could be intolerable LOL). Over the past year I have been using MyFitnessPal to log everything that goes into my mouth and I just cracked the 25kg with a month to go to my starting again anniversary but I knew it would be tough the lower I got. I havent followed a diet as such because I've done it before (many many times!) and once you start eating in the normal world again it tends to pile on again. I also walk and go to the gym but realize not everyone has the luxury to do that. When I started walking I could barely walk a mile without hips, knees, feet, shoulders etc all aching. Now I consider 4 miles to be a "short walk" and generally go around 7 miles most days. I eat my exercise calories but otherwise keep the calorie limit quite low. I do have time to go to the gym 3 times a week and have a deal with myself - like Jessica Ennis' psychologist recommended, even if you dont feel like working out, go to the gym and change and THEN make the decision whether you work out or not.

You can get MFP for free on iphones and androids but it is also a web page so you can log in and record whenever and wherever you are. The smartphone versions also have bar code scanning which is a real boon.

Good luck, it is perfectly do-able with determination.

eat less excercise more,theres always 30mins in the day somewhere for a walk, try a low carb regime for just 2 weeks to see the diff, and of course make a note of EVERYTHING you eat, you'll be surprised at the little snacks etc, especially if you have young kids and you pick at their food. No diet as such just a different eating regime, natural and effective and more permanent.

Well done Quoll - loved reading your post. I too recently got tested and was diagnosed with border line type-2 diabetes and gluten intolerance. Shocked to say the least, I had absolutely no idea. Put feeling yukky recently down to getting older, etc.

Laura, please don't waste your money on any diet (fad or otherwise). All you need to do, honestly, is get back to basics! LKC's link is awesome - I have been reading this myself. Just remove all dairy, wheat and sugar from your diet and I guarantee the weight will start to fall off very quickly. Vegetables, salads, chicken, fish, etc and as little processed food as you can. As Quoll said, add in some exercise, gentle if you haven't done any for a while, then gradually build it up. Even a walk to the end of the street is better than nothing at all. I lost 7 kilos in 7 weeks just doing the above and I didn't consider myself as greatly overweight to start with - just felt blah. Plus, my blood sugar was back to normal at my last test.

Good luck - it really isn't hard, just be consistent (and DON'T stand on the scales every day ;))

Kazza xx

Edited by Kazzarazza

I'd try Slimming World. You do have to go to group though, well you don't have to stay for group but believe me it's worth it. It's not so much a diet, as a new way of learning to change eating habits.

Here's how the plan works. You get to eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes, and lentils as you like. You get to eat as much meat as you like, provided it's lean and all visable fat removed. You get to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you like. You get to eat as much fat free yogurts and eggs as you like. All of that, and more.

You get 15 'syns' a day, which you can use as you like. An average bar of chocolate is about 9 syns. A Freddo is just 5.

If you follow it right, and truthfully, and stay motivated, you can lose a lot of weight on it. I've lost 3 stone so far. It's taught me a lot, mostly how to control myself.

Forgot to add. You're allowed 250ml of milk a day, or 30g of cheese, and a certain amount of fibre.

Here's an example of my day's eating;

Breakfast; two wheatabix with sweetner, and milk; that's my milk and fibre used for the day. You can also have two slices of wholemeal bread as a fibre choice, or likewise some cereal bars.

Lunch; jacket potato with tuna mayo and salad. Mayo is synned, low fat mayo is half a syn a tablespoon.

Dinner; Spag bol. I use mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and such, fried with the lean mince, then add a tub of passatta (which is a free food). Pasta is free.

For syns I might add cheese to my bolognese, or have a hot chocolate in the evening, or snacks during the day.

I'd try Slimming World. You do have to go to group though, well you don't have to stay for group but believe me it's worth it. It's not so much a diet, as a new way of learning to change eating habits.

Here's how the plan works. You get to eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes, and lentils as you like. You get to eat as much meat as you like, provided it's lean and all visable fat removed. You get to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you like. You get to eat as much fat free yogurts and eggs as you like. All of that, and more.

You get 15 'syns' a day, which you can use as you like. An average bar of chocolate is about 9 syns. A Freddo is just 5.

If you follow it right, and truthfully, and stay motivated, you can lose a lot of weight on it. I've lost 3 stone so far. It's taught me a lot, mostly how to control myself.

A fantastic post! I agree, I have done weight watchers in the past but have to say the new slimming world plan is brilliant as you are in control of what you eat...because no foods are off limits & you can have limited amounts of the things that will keep your energy levels up!

I chose to do it to change my lifestyle in order to be healthier and have never looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

I too need to,one weight, so some good ideas here. used Weight watchers after I had my babies and that worked for me, but calories are kilo joules here.....can't seem to get my head around that. My problems are, too much wine, too many Sakarta rice crackers and not enough exercise. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week in the UK, but not found one here that fits into my lifestyle, and that I can afford! Tried running, and I hate it with a passion. good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laura

The only diet I would recommend would have to be the Cambridge diet I have done many diet over the year and none have had the results like this did. it costs around £30.00 a week but you do not have to buy anything else at all, there are no meetings to go to you just have your consultant come and see you one’s a month and they bring all the stuff for you, it really is great some doctors will give it you on the NHS I had to pay for mine I did it for 12 months on and off and lost just over 8½ stone I was 19 to start with now a very healthy 10 stone and my step mum has done the same she was very large and she has lost 11 stone in 13 months I think she was around 19 ½ stone it really is a great diet

I do a light fast tue and thurs. I don't do it to lose weight. I actually enjoy it. It's kind of nice having that hungry feeling, and a reward when you break the fast. I eat dinner Mon/Wed evening. Then I have a yoghurt and piece of fruit for breakie and lunch Tue/ Thur, and drink lots of water and tea. Then I have dinner Tue/Thur. I really look forward for my dinner on fast days and it is the best meal of the week. I find that I eat a bit less on the other days as a result of fasting, and I maintain my weight easily.

If you wanted to lose weight, you could add an extra fast day, or forgo the dinner on Tue and or Thur. I find I feel better as a result. It seems to get rid of that bloated feeling.

I would also be interested to know if I have any food intolerances. Can you just ask your GP for these tests? I find myself avoiding bread products as they make me feel bloated.

Have a look at www.calorieking.com fantastic site, lots of advice, support, tools, forums, info, recipes etc. Also read up on using chia seeds in recipes to help combat hunger pangs.

Hi

I need to lose around 25kgs. Any recommendations on a diet to follow?

thinking of 'lite n easy'? I know how to diet but I need a plan to keep me focused. Group meetings are no good for me.

any suggestions welcomed.. (Constructive please!)

many thanks

laura.

Maintain simple & healthy lifestyle, go for brisk walk 30-40 minutes everyday(15 min morning/evening), swimming & cycling are the best exercises.

Couldn't agree more, all these fancy diets, magic pills etc are no good! U have to get the base principles right first. Keep it simple! Ideally eat 4 or 5 small meals a day, drink plenty of water (500ml for every 15kg of bodyweight) and regular walks etc, 30-40min fast paced walk 3 or 4 times a week will be ample, and ENJOY IT! Treat yourself once a week to any one meal you want and a small dessert.

Couldn't agree more, all these fancy diets, magic pills etc are no good! U have to get the base principles right first. Keep it simple! Ideally eat 4 or 5 small meals a day, drink plenty of water (500ml for every 15kg of bodyweight) and regular walks etc, 30-40min fast paced walk 3 or 4 times a week will be ample, and ENJOY IT! Treat yourself once a week to any one meal you want and a small dessert.

spot-on :) although 'small dessert once a week' .......... not for me :P

I too need to,one weight, so some good ideas here. used Weight watchers after I had my babies and that worked for me, but calories are kilo joules here.....can't seem to get my head around that. My problems are, too much wine, too many Sakarta rice crackers and not enough exercise. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week in the UK, but not found one here that fits into my lifestyle, and that I can afford! Tried running, and I hate it with a passion. good luck!

Only seeing this thread now! Norfolk gal- I'm a nutritionist but at home we used calories too - easy calculation to get from kJ to Kcal (or calories as we call them) is divide by 4!

The hard part of weight loss is being and staying motivated and committed to maintaining your goals.

The nutrition part isnt the hard part- we all know if we eat cake, take away everday and large portions we wont loose weight.

You have to eat enough food to maintain your weight, eating more will cause you to gain and obviously if you eat less than you need to maintain your current weight the weight will come off.

Weightwatchers and slimming world are great-(not because they take ££ off you though or sell their products) but because they make you accountable for what you have been doing to help yourself loose weight.

Cheap ways to do this are

* recording what goes over your lips - yes everything, you will lie, you need to be honest with yourself though

*get family members on board to encourage you and keep tabs on you.

* dont bring the rubbish food into the house- if you see it you will eat it- I am guilty of this too!!

* Stay away from take aways - my other half asked me to work out what he should be eating in a day (he is a skinny chocoholic and always questioning my work). I explained how many calories (kJ) he could eat to maintain his weight. He was quite happy with this then asked me so, can i eat that in Oporto chicken burgers?? The answer is yes you can eat the calories for the day in burgers but you will only get about 4 and you will be very hungry for the rest of the day!!

Take away foods are "dead" foods, they provide very little nutrients other than fat.

If anyone wants a push and doesnt want to do the classes I would be more than happy to Skype/talk to them once a month to motivate and encourage them (or tell them off for being naughty). I'll do it for free too :) PM through here :)

Edited by shellsparkles
to correct the typos!