Moving to oz in march and don't know where to settle?!!

Deeandchris

We are a young couple from sunderland uk moving to Australia in march and we can't decide we're we would like to move. I have family in Adelaide so this is an option however we have heard that its a quiet city and very family orientated. We are looking for a lively city we're we can meet other couples.

We are getting drawn towards Brisbane it looks pretty cool.

hope you can help!!

Thanks

I would have thougt Sydney and Melbourne would be the liveliest cities in Australia.

Brisbane is nice enough, I visit there for work quite often. I would like to live there because it is more affordable but on the other hand I would miss not having a proper ocean beach.

Thanks! We think sydney might be a little expensive. Think we are going to visit the cities we fancy then take it from there.

Yes Sydney wil be considerably more expensive, for housing that is. When I go up there for work, I find that little things like coffees and lunch, are more expensive in Brisbane. But not so much to make a dent in the accommodation cost savings!

We had the same dilemma and eventually chose Sydney. We are here 6 years and couldn't be happier!

All depends on where you settle in as well - Sydney has over 150 suburbs and each has a very different style. We chose Manly and I really can't think of a better place in the known universe... :-):biggrin:.

We had the same dilemma and eventually chose Sydney. We are here 6 years and couldn't be happier!

All depends on where you settle in as well - Sydney has over 150 suburbs and each has a very different style. We chose Manly and I really can't think of a better place in the known universe... :-):biggrin:.

Sydney was not my first choice. We had to go here for work and I was a bit jealous of all the people talking about going to Melbourne or Brisbane. Now we are here though, I think we got the best deal. Beaches, climate, Australian icons (which I am still not tired of seeing every day), easy access to loads of other places. So glad we ended up in Sydney.

I know it's a really boring thing to say but unless you can find work in your preferred location (wherever that is) you won't enjoy it for very long.

Investigate work opportunities as a priority consideration amongst the other things you are looking for.

Good luck - hope you'll be happy wherever you settle.

Second that from Quoll and Freckleface - life's what you make it, but you can't live on fresh air.

I know money isn't everything and it doesn't make you happy. But not having any of it is a sure fire way of making life miserable IME. So look for somewhere with good work prospects for whatever you do.

Also I don't think you will find many people who have enough experience of life around the whole of Australia to give you a balanced view. Most here will only have lived in one or two cities and either big up where they live, or slag it, depending

:wink:

I'm a support worker at the moment looking after children with disabilities and autism and my partner works in telecommunication industry and has qqualifications in fibre optics (which looks to be big in Australia) I've found that I would struggle to find work in adelaide as I couldn't find alot when researching however there seemed a lot in Brisbane for what I do. I'm sure it will be a lot easier to sort once we are out there :)

I'd definitely have a look at Perth, there's some lovely suburbs, amazing beaches and a great social scene. Another plus side on perth is the fact of opportunity of earning stupid money!

They said they were looking for a lively city.

And I think it is just som high earners that push up average earnings in Perth, not everybody is, or has the opportunity of, earning stupid money.