What's the one thing you wish you'd considered before heading out to Oz?

TheSmithFamily

Hi all

This is a fantastic thread and I have gleaned a lot of insights from it. However, I am in a different position from most of the people on here in that my OH and I are thinking of going to Aus. to join our only child. We have visited several times and explored quite a bit on our own. My question is this - assuming no mortgage, would £2000 a month keep you then?

Also, many people have mentioned the lack of babysitters - if someone with masses of experience in childcare AND all the bits of paper to go with it advertised their services as a paid babysitter (not childminder) would this be a possibility?

Thanks

PS I forgot to mention - by the time we get to the top of the parents waiting list we will be getting on a bit.....

As long as no rent to pay certainly. With rent then very tight but possible ...just. Babysitting could well be a way to make a few extra bucks......advertise on noticeboards in supermarkets as well as usual methods. Word of mouth ..and your in business.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think above and beyond the normal planning and most of the points mentioned here. What you will do if one of you doesn't like it and really wants to go home, we came out forever, some agree on say 2 years. I hated it instantly but my hubby asked for 2 years so I agreed but after 18months he knew nothing was changing so we are now saving to go home. But some people can't wait, you need to discuss all eventualities as no one knows how they will feel until they are here! We have no kids but more important if you do. Don't burn bridges, have an idea how you will get back some might say thats setting yourself up for failure, but nothing worse than being traped. I don't mean you need to have extra savings to get back as well, just an idea of what you will do should you be doing that. We arrived and as agreed we looked at building a house, but the thought of that made me like i was trapped for a few years whether I liked it or not, so we agreed to stay renting until I felt more secure, that never happened so at least we don't have the added issue of selling a house, i felt trapped by lack of cash, not always easy after the cost of emigrating, my hubby got a credit, it was never used but at least I knew we had a way home if all else failed. Now we have good jobs and can save so I've lost that trapped feeling. These are my examples, if you get here and love it and it stays that way, great but recognise it if you don't and do what ever helps you cope

This is a very good thread, lots of different opions. I have just said goodbye to my sister at the airport this morning, she has been over for 3 weeks. Its so hard, so emotional, not sure when we will see each other in the flesh again. My niece is due to get married in Sept but the expense is probably going to stop me from going back. For me this has been the hardest part of moving to OZ, missing out on all the important family occasions, all the mile stone birthdays. My dad passed away in May, so flew back for that, but was only able to stay for a week due to work commitments. I did take leaving family into consideration before moving, thinking that I could hop onto a plane every year for a visit, how very wrong I was. The biggest regret we had was selling our home in the UK, but we had to sell to fund our move to OZ. No one can tell you how to prepare or how you will feel when you get here because everyone is different. We are saving like mad, paying off debts and hoping the house prices will rise, so at some point in the future we can return to family, friends, and the country that we miss so much. I dont regret the move, would of only be thinking "what if" if we hadnt of taken the plunge. Best of luck to you.

....... if you have children that settle in Aus as they mature, it can make you feel very trapped here if they all adapt and don't think even think about the UK anymore (like most of them do)....

That's it, your freedom to choose to return to the UK has gone!

Unless you leave your children behind??

I have no kids so easy for me to say! But those kids could do what we've all done to our parents! Leave them ehind! So i'd say you have to weigh up what you want the most, my parents aren't alive now but they considered retiring to florida, i had no issues with that i just wish they'd lived to make it to retirement! Lifes too short!

I don't have my own kids but hubby had 2 grown up estanged because of his ex wife, he made the decision is location made no difference he had to live his life as they will theits!

I have no kids so easy for me to say! But those kids could do what we've all done to our parents! Leave them ehind! So i'd say you have to weigh up what you want the most, my parents aren't alive now but they considered retiring to florida, i had no issues with that i just wish they'd lived to make it to retirement! Lifes too short!

I don't have my own kids but hubby had 2 grown up estanged because of his ex wife, he made the decision is location made no difference he had to live his life as they will theits!

Yup, they live your life, they live theirs! I have no problems with one kid in Aus and one in UK. They're still my kids and I'll be there if they need me, of course but when they are old enough to leave home they can go where they want. I'm just grateful that my parents never put the emotional blackmail shackles on me!

Thankfully, I'm happy here and tend to think of feeling 'trapped' here in a positive way as I know, for sure, I would have been one of the ping pongers, wasting aot of money along the way

I once heard a woman on a BBC radio station being interviewed about the possibility of a move to Aus and it made me shudder when she said that they were going to give it a go with 4 children (all heading for their teenage yrs) and 'if I didn't like it after 5 yrs, we'd come back to the UK'

My guess is that she'd have a cat in hell's chance of dragging them all back

Guest guest68109

Brilliant question smith family. I have 3 children and been here 3 years. In answer to your question :

1. Poor quality education in WA. Knowing before we left that kids may be slightly ahead with the age difference for starting school. Finding out once we were here kids were 2 years ahead. Also Paying fees for catholic schooling and finding out once you are here its not a private school you are paying for but making up the difference that the government does not pay. You also pay for books stationary etc.

2. Many perth homes hhave no heating and it is cold in the winter. Very chilly mornings and evenings.Going back to little heaters to get dressed in the morning ( you know the types of things we did as kids before homes at central heating) then getting a house that does have heating and in first two months getting a bill for 750 dollars!

My earlier comment wasn't directed at you, more of a general observation on my part. No slight intended.

Don't worry but it's true, a lot of people do stay to finish their lease, probably cause of the cost and that was our plan, to finish the lease and then go home but as it works out, I'm going sooner and hubby wants to stay.

I think its different for everyone!

For me ...the distance you are from everyone you know familly and long term friends! Its 24 hours to get back and potentially a lot of money!

In a related factor when things are tough out here...you are on your own...yes there is skype but time difference means it is hard to be able to jsut chat to someone when you are having a difficult moment...Now I am not saying it is all bad but when everything is new and we all have those days where things go wrong and you want to ring a mate at the end of it and go you wont belive the day I have had! Its not so easy!!

Mostly I love Aus!! It has a lot going for it but like anywhere its not perfect all the time, an being away can make that harder!

That said I came on my own so.... with a partner and kids with you there will be less of a feelign of isloation!

That is our dilemma now -our children are grown -we are grandparents and great grandparents and would miss the little ones terribly

But at the end of the day we have choices to make and we still feel the pull of home plus its cheaper for us to live in the UK and holiday in Oz annually rather than the other way round

I always said I got people sick when we first emigrated its one of the hardest things to do and needs long and carefull consideration every time

I just want to say that I fully agree with an earlier post saying that moving to Australia will not change your spouse's personality or ways. I have to fully agree 110% - I am married to an unsociable person who leaves all the social side of things to me, he was never interested in going out and about in the UK, just sat in front of TV, not really mixing with people (a trait on his side of the family) and I, very foolishly, thought that he would be different when we moved here and we would be out exploring and living the life - oh how very wrong was I - he is even worse. So please beware, sometimes the move highlights these ways in people even more not changes them.

Edited by lamada

Don't worry but it's true, a lot of people do stay to finish their lease, probably cause of the cost and that was our plan, to finish the lease and then go home but as it works out, I'm going sooner and hubby wants to stay.

I thought you said you couldnt go cos OH said you couldnt take your son? Has he changed his mind. hope you get it sorted out.

I thought you said you couldnt go cos OH said you couldnt take your son? Has he changed his mind. hope you get it sorted out.[/

Yeah he did, he said he would have never stopped me taking our son, he was just angry.

I'm so glad it's worked out for us, I was really worried I would of had to stay here but I return home on the 5th April and I can't wait.

its just gonna be hard leaving my OH on his own but hopefully he'll be back soon.

Edited by Kerry Pollard

Great thread! Loads of important & interesting information on here, loads for people to think about who are making the move, can I just ask Kerry Pollard - is your hubby still going eventually back to you's in uk? (Just asking because think its most people's deffo my worst fears & the child bit too of course)

Guest guest74886
Agree. Brisbane is very insular. Most people have never been outside their own backyard, so how could they possibly give anyone an objective view.

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest74886
Hi Sarah - what line of work are you in? I have 25 years experience, but no real (recent) quallies (I have a CAM Dip). I had pretty high powered jobs here in Design and advertising, as well as owning a full service ad agency, and have always found experience here means more than qualifications. The same doesn't seem to ring true in Oz. Is that fair? Did it affect the quality of job you were able to get?

I wouldn't bother about thinking of coming to Oz if you have that set up in the UK, it will take you for ever to break in here and what ever experience or expertise you have will never be recognised here mainly because you're an outsider and no Australian is ever going to believe that someone from somewhere else knows better than them.

They say they want Quals but they don't really, that's just so they can weed everybody out and to get you here, then they make you prove yourself all over again with oz quals and make you do another 10 years to get Oz experience and by that time you've forgotten evrything that you started out with and then realise your 50 and your back where you started in the UK

I never had baby sitters but then I did not want them, we had been married for six years before we had children, traveled all over the place and knew when they arrived life would be different and it was and in a nice way.

My mum did a bit of baby sitting but short straw if expected too much. Mother in law did when she visited but we knew if we had stayed in the UK she would not be doing it. Both of them said they had brought up their family and wanted me time and that is what I will be like if we have grandchildren. No full time day care from this granny if it happens.

I never had baby sitters but then I did not want them, we had been married for six years before we had children, traveled all over the place and knew when they arrived life would be different and it was and in a nice way.

My mum did a bit of baby sitting but short straw if expected too much. Mother in law did when she visited but we knew if we had stayed in the UK she would not be doing it. Both of them said they had brought up their family and wanted me time and that is what I will be like if we have grandchildren. No full time day care from this granny if it happens.

I wonder if we are a bit conditioned by our back grounds? I never really knew my only grandparent, grandfather who lived in Cornwall, miles from us and we had no car.

I grew up very independent, lived on my own in Africa and then married someone in the forces.We moved from pillar to post, never had family near to rely on, but no complaints, just accepted it.

Now grandparents to 2 boys, but they live in UK and we ended up in Oz. We go back most years and love seeing them, but I don't feel any need to live near them. We live our lives and they live theirs. If anything I have more contact with them via skype than I ever had with my grandparent.

So each to their own, but as Petals says above we bought our 3 up, managed with no help from family, and although times you could argue have changed, and this generation seems to think both parents have to work to survive!? and lots (not all) seem to think therefore that grandparents should be there for child care. We certainly struggled to make ends meet, did without overseas holidays and all the latest gadgets.

Love my grandchildren and will help out in any emergency, yes would fly straight over if needed, but have no intention of being their surrogate parents, plus I'm too old!!!

So if you are used to having family close by, spending lots of time together, with parents prepared help with your child rearing, then you are going to struggle if you emigrate.

I'm with Petals and Ramot - done my time with the parenting thing and not inclined to be "used". We never had baby sitters either and we were fiercely independent and self sufficient mainly because we had to be. My daughter in law OTOH is needy and for 18 months while they lived in our granny flat she thought we were surrogate parents even though I had a full time job at the tIme and was absolutely knackered. Now we are on the other side of the world she has basically dumped it all on her mother who actually encourages the helplessness (I don't get it!) my son has been spending much of his time in the bush building their house so they can go out and be self sufficient! LOL that's a joke, she'll flounder if she doesnt have the village to raise her kids! Contact with the grandkids is nice but I want to be able to hand them back! If you are like my daughter in law then emigration would be a nightmare I should think! (She's barely coping with US being the ones to move!)

I wouldn't bother about thinking of coming to Oz if you have that set up in the UK, it will take you for ever to break in here and what ever experience or expertise you have will never be recognised here mainly because you're an outsider and no Australian is ever going to believe that someone from somewhere else knows better than them.

They say they want Quals but they don't really, that's just so they can weed everybody out and to get you here, then they make you prove yourself all over again with oz quals and make you do another 10 years to get Oz experience and by that time you've forgotten evrything that you started out with and then realise your 50 and your back where you started in the UK

Hmmm not entirely true. It depends what area of expertise your qualifications lie in. My husband and I have not had to reprove ourselves at all. In fact my husband was offered his position based on them not being able to find someone suitably qualified in Australia. Our overseas experience, and perspective, has been highly regarded here, as has the qualifications we can actually prove on paper. With the qualifications we have there would be no suggestion at having to re do them! That would be laughable!

Edited by Tickled Pink

Hmmm not entirely true. It depends what area of expertise your qualifications lie in. My husband and I have not had to reprove ourselves at all. In fact my husband was offered his position based on them not being able to find someone suitably qualified in Australia. Our overseas experience, and perspective, has been highly regarded here, as has the qualifications we can actually prove on paper. With the qualifications we have there would be no suggestion at having to re do them! That would be laughable!

I agree it depends greatly on your field - I think, depending on the state (& WA is the worst) then tradies can have a very tough time - it seems most bizarre that they go through intensive skills assessments with practical tests etc. are granted visa's and are not licensed to work when they get here, basically having to do an apprenticeship again. I don't know specifics but I do know my OH can't fit a light fitting in our own home despite being a university educated Electrical Engineer!

For me though my experience is exactly like tickled pink - I was a very average IT Manager in the UK and when I attended a Australia needs Skills expo was told by an employer that they had 'been looking for someone like me for 5 years' - I was promoted twice in two years up to VP level something i would have not achieved in such a short time in the UK due to increased competition. I was also asked to stand for an industry board and was elected and have been asked to speak at industry conferences. I don't expect to go back to the UK at quite this level - I have become known by reputation here which is obviously local but I have gained so much confidence and experience that I will go back at a higher level than I left 4 years ago and particularly with the GFC I think I would have been in exactly the same position if I'd stayed.

On the otherhand my OH, who also works in IT, has gone backwards, having made the mistake of taking any job just to have one, he got stuck there with literally last century technology and will be going back to the UK in a completely different profession.

You just need to research your own profession in the state you intend to go to and find out what ther equirements are - they are unrelated to what you require for a visa! Believe it or not my visa was granted as a 'Social Care Professional (NEC)' because all that was required for that was my degree certificate - a damned sight easier than an ACS IT Skills Assessment!

Totally agree, my hubby was also recruited because he had skills the Aussies didnt and he has been utilised by lots of companys over here including the emergancy services to bring some of their mechanics 'up to date' on new engines and systems.

What happens here workwise depends on your trade and your attitude.

Cal x