What do you miss about the uk?

Holly25

The relative efficiency of services over there - e.g. when I phoned the Inland Revenue they knew the answers (did have to wait for 30 minutes on hold mind). Here I have had appalling phone service and most people don't know any answers and noone calls you back.

I have no issue with the range in the supermarket as can get everything I want but miss the staff knowing where anything is when I ask.

Owning my own house - not a fan of renting again.

Twiglets.

Occasional snow but not the winters in general.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends / Family and Bisto (when we unexpectedly run-out).

Woolies are running the Bisto Gravy Granules range in its UK food section right now. and PAXO Stuffing

They have Irn bru in woolworths

Thanks, The bottle stuff is crap but the can is okay. Don't know why tho, it seems to taste better in Scotland with a fat greasy vinegar soaked chip in my other hand. Lol

You can get the imported Irn Bru cans in some places - I don't like the stuff myself and I don't like my son drinking it but he is allowed it for Burn's Night, St. Andrew's Day and at celebration meals like birthday and Christmas - anytime we're having champagne!

Funny story - I'm buddhist and at the meditation centre people take offerings which are then distributed. I never usually take anything, but when my son went to kids club he was encouraged to and went for a big bag of cheezels which I agreed to as we were going on to a party and he could share. The nun told him they were blessed by buddha and he went along to the party and proudly offered to the host 'cheezels blessed by buddha', some weeks later I was there and someone had brought a bottle of Iru Bru as an offering (I don't think there is anywhere in the dharma that says Buddha likes Iru Bru but hey, why not!) so I took it for my son, it was the ultimate - not just Irn Bru but Irn Bru blessed by Buddha!

Personally I missed Diet Orange Tango!

Jules

FRANCE - If i dont stay in aus long term I may just move there!

Sorry sausages and Bacon ( Butchers you are missing a huge market it seems here!)

Zubrovka (Bison Grass vodka!)

Public transport manners (Dont get me started I will RANT! Suffice to say passengers in the UK have some Sydneysiders have NONE)

Celariac - amazing mashed with beef or duck!

Cadbury chocolate and Highlights

That said went home for xmas and really missed the quantity and quality of fruit and veg here in Aus (OK I know its the summer!) But got home an went staight to the shops to stock up! An I also was horrified by the fact it appeared to be dark most of the time....I think I may have turned a corner....

But you can't compare Perth with the rest of Ausralia can you? Its a different country as far as most of us Eastern States people are concerned. Like visiting Russia or something....do they speak English over there?

Actually they do , unlike the east with the Balkan , Lebanese twang

The things I will miss;

Summer fetes and fun dog shows

The big dog shows here

Agricultural shows with brass bands on the lawn

Craft shows

The Miniature Schnauzers; sounds stupid, but I know my type of Schnauzer and in Aus they look not nearly up to scratch

Primarni

Can't see why anyone would miss the UK high street, if you're not drowning in spittal you're being shoved about.

Pubs and being able to afford spending an afternoon drinking in one (without thinking I could drink xyz amount if I were drinking at home).

Being understood. So often, I've had Australians not understand me even though we are speaking the same language (near as much)... I have a friend from the UK who had the same problem when she first moved here with her Aussie husband.

The TV.

A good public transport system. Melbourne's is not so good.

Edited by violethaze

Just don't understand the complaints about sausages and bacon to be honest. I can't tell the difference in the bacon and there seems a wide variety of types of sausage.

On the other hand it would be nice to be able to obtain booze, esp beers in the pubs, as cheaply as in the uk. alcohol is very pricey in Oz even in off licences, unless bought in huge quantities.

Edited by jimmyay1

I missed when I was in oz.

the British people and their humour, the rest if the world does not get it which is nice in a way, Aussies and Americans get it the least IMO, the countryside which I honestly think cannot be beaten anywhere in

the world except for parts of Europe.

the 4 seasons, autumn is my favourite...magical.

the food...yes good old British fare,.

decent ale is a given.

just the buzz about the UK overall.

I missed when I was in oz.

the British people and their humour, the rest if the world does not get it which is nice in a way, Aussies and Americans get it the least IMO, the countryside which I honestly think cannot be beaten anywhere in

the world except for parts of Europe.

the 4 seasons, autumn is my favourite...magical.

the food...yes good old British fare,.

decent ale is a given.

just the buzz about the UK overall.

Even less than countries that don't speak english? I hadn't realised that miming was so huge in the UK :wink:

Hya Holly25,

I don't post too much on here anymore but wanted to let you know that the main reason you miss this stuff is actually Newcastle itself. I have been here over six yer now and will be going back to the toon in about 7 months..... I'm sure there will be a bunch of people that say they don't miss owt at all, chances are they are;

- From some garbage town like Stoke-on-trent

- Have been here a relatively short amount of time

- Are genuine and really don't miss owt (which is great for them)

I've lived in a canny few spots here including Cottlesloe (WA), Dee Why (NSW) & Jan Juc (VIC) and you know where my favourate place I've lived? Tynemouth!!!

I have a bunch of mates and we all grew up surfing down Saltburn n' that - none of em want to move here (after visiting many times) as they all prefer the toon...

I guess my point is that you are not alone in missing the toon - we all do!!! Point of fact, there was another lass on here (Missus B) and she was in a similar situation.

Anyway, all the best....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Canadian but originally from the UK. The things I miss most about the UK are bacon, sausages, crisps and chocolate. I was recently in Australia for the first time and I have to agree on the sausages. I thought they sucked here, but they are worse in Australia. I thought the bacon was alright though as it was close to UK style, which you cannot get at all in Canada.

I was very disappointed to see that instant bisto was not available in Australia. It's one of my most used food products, I'll miss that for sure if I move to Australia!

Hya Holly25,

I don't post too much on here anymore but wanted to let you know that the main reason you miss this stuff is actually Newcastle itself. I have been here over six yer now and will be going back to the toon in about 7 months..... I'm sure there will be a bunch of people that say they don't miss owt at all, chances are they are;

- From some garbage town like Stoke-on-trent

- Have been here a relatively short amount of time

- Are genuine and really don't miss owt (which is great for them)

I've lived in a canny few spots here including Cottlesloe (WA), Dee Why (NSW) & Jan Juc (VIC) and you know where my favourate place I've lived? Tynemouth!!!

I have a bunch of mates and we all grew up surfing down Saltburn n' that - none of em want to move here (after visiting many times) as they all prefer the toon...

I guess my point is that you are not alone in missing the toon - we all do!!! Point of fact, there was another lass on here (Missus B) and she was in a similar situation.

Anyway, all the best....

surf n dirt .........i can see why you love newcastle .......mainly the people .......quality .

just one correction .....i was out on in the mailbox in brum on friday night , and someone started having a dig at stoke .

i pulled them up ....i quite like stoke ......again the people are great , and they dont judge you by the size of your house or make of car ...........i have dealings with work , with a builder from stoke ....multi millionaire ....you wouldnt think he had a pot to pi55 in .......great bloke.

a lot of money being spent on the roads etc .....i know it needs to be .

The great thing is , if you dont like stoke ......some of the surrounding areas are beautiful ......biddulph ....the moorlands ........iam up there tomorrow .....and then onto Bakewell in the dales ......happy days