New here! WHV purchase advice?

Benvo

Hey all!

Been reading as an outsider for last couple of days! Decided to join to start asking some questions from people who's already done/doing it!

Just a quick bit about my plan, looking at going to Perth to start with, as I have a friend who lives there, who could put me up for a while and help me with getting work etc! I have a degree in accountancy and finance, but no experience in that field so I'm happy to go into any job to start with really. I've been working for a personal finance company for nearly a year in the UK, and its a self employed position so I do have some experience that will look good on my CV, for when I'm applying for different types of work. But looking at any work really anything from office work to stacking shelves lol!

My plan is to try do certain amount of time in different places, that I can actually take in Australia as well as work around to fund it. Have also been looking at the specified work in case I was to like it that much I want to be able to extend to 2 years. Like I said before the plan is at the moment to stay with a friend, and would be going out there alone. I was looking at also going with a friend, but they are not 100% in the position to go, where I think I'm near enough there.

Know that little intro's over lol! I need some advice on WHV, I've googled and looked around, and I know you can get your visa direct, but there are also companies offering to do it, with some added bonuses, which is better? As I've been to the states a few times on holiday, and I know there visa waiver they do, is better to do direct, as all other companies do is add to the price.

Have seen a company online who do the visa for you, set up bank account, and tax number, and have a no visa no fee guarantee (not that im worried about being accepted) at that was for £275/285 depending on exchange rate when you applied for visa. Is that about the going rate? or are there better companies etc?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Benvo

Do it yourself IMHO. Its cheap to get, apply online and get the visa approved within a week usually.

You can sort yourself a bank account online also easy enough. A tax number can be done once you arrive.

I don't see the need to pay anyone to do that tbh. You've the internet at your fingertips and a bit of time to do all your research on the WHV and what to expect and where to possibly go etc.

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. Thanks for all those links! So where the WHV concerned if I apply direct, do you pay the $365 up front, and if so what happens (not that I think I would) you get denied? I have nothing against me, no convictions, health probs etc... just want to make sure all my bases are covered!

Do you need to send any id's off for it, or photocopies of id's?

Bank account looks like something I can easily apply for once I have my flight date, but are there any fees with them? just have read something about some charge fees for atm withdrawals or something like that?

But other than those questions, seems quite simple with the actual process. Only one I cant figure out is the Tax Number, have seen that can take a while to sort out, but need it before you start working otherwise you will get hit with 49% tax until its sorted. That's why few places advice to get it done before you go. But seems to be a few different options for applying for TN on there website, and I cant figure out which is right lol!

Thanks

Benvo

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. Thanks for all those links! So where the WHV concerned if I apply direct, do you pay the $365 up front, and if so what happens (not that I think I would) you get denied? I have nothing against me, no convictions, health probs etc... just want to make sure all my bases are covered!

It's only $220 isn't it for the WHV, or have they hiked the prices again?

Don't need to send anything off, Passport number is all you need really, the online form takes about 5-10 mins to do. No difficult questions on there at all.

NAB is free banking, you can set it up before you leave, just need the visa number and passport number I think, then you just go there and activate it and get a card and stuff. They were really helpful for me. ATM fees only apply if you use another banks atm. So it's not really a problem. I don't think I've used one yet that has charged me in nearly 3 months of being here.

Tax number. you go to the tax office when you get here, fill out a form online and they'll send it usually to the post office and you can pick it up from there in a couple of weeks. You HAVE to be here to get the tax number. Everything else you can set up from home (actually that's a lie, Medicare you need to be here too!)

It's only $220 isn't it for the WHV, or have they hiked the prices again?

Don't need to send anything off, Passport number is all you need really, the online form takes about 5-10 mins to do. No difficult questions on there at all.

NAB is free banking, you can set it up before you leave, just need the visa number and passport number I think, then you just go there and activate it and get a card and stuff. They were really helpful for me. ATM fees only apply if you use another banks atm. So it's not really a problem. I don't think I've used one yet that has charged me in nearly 3 months of being here.

Tax number. you go to the tax office when you get here, fill out a form online and they'll send it usually to the post office and you can pick it up from there in a couple of weeks. You HAVE to be here to get the tax number. Everything else you can set up from home (actually that's a lie, Medicare you need to be here too!)

Nah they raised prices 1st jan! annoying as I've been on about going to Australia for near enough last year. But oh well! Ah that be straight forward enough then, sounds similar to what you do with the usa visa waiver.

And that sounds good about the bank account, very straight forward. And didn't realise about tax number had to be done there!

Thanks

Benvo

So with that site, it only works out like £100 for the insurance? which i actually been looking at some at the £180 mark! so could be a nice saving. Going to have a look at there policy see how it compares! thanks for the post!

Packages and Sums Insured

[TABLE=width: 40%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 6%][/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]Section[/TD]

[TD=width: 44%]Young Traveller[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Personal Accident

Payment Student Loans[/TD]

[TD]£20,000/€32,000

Up to £5,000/€7,300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Emergency Medical

UK Physiotherapy[/TD]

[TD]£5,000,000/€8,000,000

£600[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Hospital benefit (per day)

Personal Assault (mugging)[/TD]

[TD]£500/€800 (£30/€48)

£100/€140 (£10/€14)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Cancellation/Curtailment[/TD]

[TD]£2,000/€2,850[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Travel Delay First 12 hours

Each subsequent 12 hours

or

Abandonment at 24 hours[/TD]

[TD]£20/€30

£10/€15

£250/€375

£2,000/€2850[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Missed Departures[/TD]

[TD]£2,000/€1200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]Baggage

(Single Article Limit)

(Valuables)

(Delayed Baggage)[/TD]

[TD]£1,000/€1500

(£250/€375)

(£250/€375)

(£150/€100)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]Money[/TD]

[TD]£500/€700[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]Passport Indemnity[/TD]

[TD]£500/€700[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Public Liability[/TD]

[TD]£2,000,000/€3,200,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]Legal Expenses[/TD]

[TD]£20,000/€32,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]Hijack (per day)[/TD]

[TD]£1,000/€1,400 (£30/€45)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is the table of sums insured, as i dont really know what best to have etc... are this good amounts to have? For example is 5,000,000 medical enough?

Benvo

Edited by Benvo

Hello!

My partner and I backpacked around Australia for 2 years, and loved it – it was AMAZING!

We flew directly to Darwin at first, and opened a bank account with the Commonwealth bank. All you need is you Driving Licence, and Passport (they take photocopies of both).

Make sure you sign up for one of these: http://www3.yha.com.au/membership/ We used this loads!

Also when travelling around, if your thinking of flying – make sure you book flights as early as early as you can. It’s not like the U.K where you can wait and get a cheap deal at the last minute.

More information to follow....

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been busy with work at the moment, but this morning i took the plunge and applied for my WHV, and guess what, about an hour later, i have received an email stating i have been granted it!!!!

Amazed at how fast it was, ive even had to log in online to make sure i was in disbelief!! lol!

Benvo

• 3 weeks later...
@Benvo - did you apply direct? I was just about to post a thread with your exact same question - go direct or with a company?

I should be applying for mine in the next few days fingers crossed!

Charlie xx

Just apply direct. It's really simple and you should get it sorted within a few days, often inside a few hours.

Just things like a criminal record are the only things would have me consulting a migration agent. I'd not pay one of those companies that offer a package deal and charge a small fortune when you can do it all yourself usually.

@Benvo - did you apply direct? I was just about to post a thread with your exact same question - go direct or with a company?

I should be applying for mine in the next few days fingers crossed!

Charlie xx

Hi there,

yeh i applied direct, was very straight forward and simple, and actually heard back within 30 mins - 1 hour.

Benvo

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for my visa yesterday morning and no more than 4 hours later I received an e-mail to say my visa had been granted!! Can't believe how quick and easy it was! I would certainly recommend people to apply on-line direct!

Hoping to get my flights booked on Friday!! Excited is not the word!!

xx

Haha crazy quick aint it, we was expecting a week or so, so half an hour later was very surprised to have the granted email!

Also looking at booking our flights finally this week, as we have decided on a exact date to go! Such a nervous/exciting time lol!

Benvo

Applied for my visa yesterday morning and no more than 4 hours later I received an e-mail to say my visa had been granted!! Can't believe how quick and easy it was! I would certainly recommend people to apply on-line direct!

Hoping to get my flights booked on Friday!! Excited is not the word!!

xx

I'd seen a few people on here had their visas granted pretty quickly but I thought it was best not to get my hopes up of getting mind back so quickly! Was chuffed when I got my email to say it had been granted!!

Booked my flights earlier today! Leaving the UK on 29th May, stopping in Dubai for 4 nights arriving in Perth 3rd June!!! Very excited!!

When you heading out @Benvo ?

I'd seen a few people on here had their visas granted pretty quickly but I thought it was best not to get my hopes up of getting mind back so quickly! Was chuffed when I got my email to say it had been granted!!

Booked my flights earlier today! Leaving the UK on 29th May, stopping in Dubai for 4 nights arriving in Perth 3rd June!!! Very excited!!

When you heading out @Benvo ?

Just booked the 25th April, to get there 26th April! What have i just done!? lol!

Benvo