Visa, Pregnancy & a teenager... Advice much sought! :)

Gayle1976

Hi,

My boyfriend already has his PR visa. We were going to add me as a de-facto partner and include my daughter who is 17 as a dependant. We are now having a baby of our own (due in June) and my questions are

Should we wait until after the baby is born to apply for my de-facto visa - this would mean we have been living together over 2 years and together for almost 4 so I could possibly get a permanent visa rather than temporary???

However;

If we do wait until the baby is born, my daughter will be 18 and possibly not in full time education although she will be waiting on a college course starting... She doesn't work and is fully dependant on us financially. Is being 18 a cut off for dependants?

Im unsure which avenue is best for us all, apply now or wait....

Any advice re our situation would be gratefully appreciated :)

You could do either.

When are you planning on going to Australia??

Offshore Partner visa is taking about 9 months offshore to process currently. Because of your pregnancy you wont be about to do the medical until after the baby is born, so your baby can be added to the application, and all do your medicals at the same time.

18 is not the cut off age as long as they are still fully dependent on you and in full time education.

You, your partner and daughter will all need Police Check done.

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. We aren't planning on going until the end of 2014... Do you know if letter from my daughters college will be required to state she is in full time education.. at the moment she is 6th year and undecided on a college course as yet.. Guess im just worried incase she doesnt get into a course until Jan rather than Sep :/ Would def throw a spanner in the works...

Does anyone know how much it costs to apply for a PR visa after having a temp one and living in Oz for a couple of years?

Guess we will just have to weigh it all up... Ah the joys! Roll on the end of 2014!! :)

If you are not planning on going till end 2014, you should wait until after your baby is born to lodge application.

You get 12 months from the earliest date of medicals or Police Checks to make first entry to Australia, medicals for Partner visas are usually done not long after application is lodged, but now CO are asking to wait a few months to get these done due to the time it is taking to grant the visas. (This is due to Planning levels for the partner visa, a certain number granted each month.) By waiting till after the baby is born hopefully you will get PR straight away, I dont think there is a cost for the second stage.

So lodging after the baby is born, a few months later do medicals/PC around end of year, you will need to make first entry the year after, so when you are ready to move. The validation date cant be changed once the visa is granted.

As long as she is fully dependent on you, it shouldnt be a problem, but if she is not starting course till the Jan, a letter stating that she is starting full-time should be fine, but would try and get her in to any course for September make things easier for you.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Booklet 1 has the information on Partner Visas, pg 39-41 the evidence that they require, pg 22 regarding dependent children.

Edited by lebourvellec

Also do you support her financially? My guess is yes but not formally. We gave our two boys a monthly allowance by standing order. From it they had to pay for their own clothes, fares, food away from home etc.

It was good in two ways they learned how to budget better before going away to Uni plus it gave us nice evidence for DIAC!

If you are going to wait then you must ensure your daughter stays in education. If there is a strong chance that she will not be in full time education then you should get the visa before she turns 18. It is surely better that you have a temporary visa rather than you get a permanent one and she doesn't get one at all. Do not assume that her living at home in a low paying job will be enough for her to be considered dependent upon you.

Of course the pregnancy and medical and timing of 18th birthday might not work.