High BMI+high blood pressure-will I pass my medical?

finnijo

I have a BMI of over 40 & high blood pressure. My blood pressure is stable on medication & has been for a number of years. I have received state sponsorship & invite to apply today & i'm worried about my medical which will happen soon. Has anyone had their medical with a BMI above 40 & high blood pressure? What was the outcome? Will this stop me getting my visa?

I was in a similar boat, but dieted like a demon and got my bmi down to 35 at the time of my medical. This brought my bp down a bit but it was still high. I was doing meditation and hypnotherapy and lot of walks, and on the day of my medical my bp was 130/90 which the doc was happy with. I think a bmi of over 40 might get you referred, same with a high bp, but I bet you will be fine. My medical was referred for depression, which I suffered from after the death of a parent, but I got clearance after a few months. Just waiting on my spouse visa to be finalised now, flying out next month. Good luck!

Congrats on ur visa - where r u flying to? We were told we had a 14 week delay on r application & was hoping I'd have time to loose some kilos, but seems it'll be soon for medicals now. How long did it take to get a decision on a referred medical?

Both my OH and I have a history of high BP and neither of us is svelte. We had our meds just over a week ago and were able to show that our BP's were being managed through medication and trying to lose weight and the doctor was ok with us and passed us both. All cases are different but if you have manged your BP and are trying to change it can be ok.

Both my OH and I have a history of high BP and neither of us is svelte. We had our meds just over a week ago and were able to show that our BP's were being managed through medication and trying to lose weight and the doctor was ok with us and passed us both. All cases are different but if you have manged your BP and are trying to change it can be ok.

The doctor doesn't get a say in whether you passed or failed your medicals, s/he just carries out the tests and submits the findings. Have you seen your medicals approved in the online system?

OP - the probability is that you wil pass the medicals, but you may well be referred first of all. I would probably go for some intensive dieting to at least try and get it below 40 before you take medicals.

Thanks Rupert, but as my medical now seems imminent there is little I can do to change my BMI?

Your timeline doesn't suggest medicals are imminent? It says you are still waiting on state sponsorship, so I assumed you still had a bit of time. A one week detox on smoothies or something would surely realise some weight loss, it has to be better than nothing.

Hi Rupert - state sponsorship has been approved & invite to apply received.

Paul1Perth - I've had various tests over the years & my high BP has been determined as not attributed to my weight. I have weighed much less in the past (i.e. Normal weight) & hav still had high blood pressure.