Driving from Brisbane to Cairns?

Guest sirlylos

Guest sirlylos

Hi all,

This is our first post.

We're thinking of travelling from Brisbane to Cairns. We were going to travel by car but have had mixed reviews. We understand it's about 1700km so were going to spend a few days doing it.

Has anyone done this or know if it's a good idea? Should we fly instead?

Thanks in advance :v_SPIN:

Hi and welcome to poms in Oz.

I to have heard mixed reviews about this journey if you are in the holiday mood and can spare the time I would definately go for it I hear there are some great stop overs along the way.

If you are going on a reccie and time is short I would do the plane thing its a whole lot quicker.

best wishes

Hi all,

This is our first post.

We're thinking of travelling from Brisbane to Cairns. We were going to travel by car but have had mixed reviews. We understand it's about 1700km so were going to spend a few days doing it.

Has anyone done this or know if it's a good idea? Should we fly instead?

Thanks in advance :v_SPIN:

I've driven from Brisbane to Cairns some years ago as part of a full eastern circuit drive so I don't recall specifics. It's a big drive not to be rushed and not less than two days if only one driver but more ideally a week or more to see the sights worth seeing such as Frazer Island, Whit Sunday's etc. Look for what you want to see and base driving on that. Its a relatively stress free drive once out of the metro areas. Camping is good, motels relatively cheap and you're never far from civilisation if driving the coastal areas.

Hi we drove from Brisbane to Cairns and stopped at Hervey Bay and Airlie Beach on the way both were lovely places to stay. We visited Whitsunday Islands and Fraser Island which are well worth the visit. We also stopped off at Australia Zoo. Would have liked to see more places on the way but didnt have the time. If time permits we would recommend you go by car.

Enjoy, Colin and Lorraine:smile:

Guest John Sydney

If just going from Point A to Point B its a boring trip nothing for miles and miles Generally two day trip if sitting on the speed limit - wouldn't drive it at night due to Animals on the road and heavy trucks

Also if your using a car rental guess it would be cheaper to fly than a one way rental

John

Guest Packard Gang

Hi - We travelled the opposite way round from Cairns down to Brisbane. We stayed at the Big4 Holiday Parks along the way - spread the journey over 16 days and had a fab time. Would recommend it - go onto the Big4 Website and theres lots of info and accomodation on it. Reasonably priced Holiday Lodges and Camping facilities and not over priced, we didnt think. There are wonderful sights and beaches to see along the way, also Huge trucks and loads of squished Roos! We stopped off at Misson Beach, Yeppon, Airlie Beach, Hervey Bay, Frazer Island, Beerwah (Got to go to Australia Zoo and hand feed the elephants) and ended on the Gold Coast and had five days to recover!! Its a long drive if you are thinking of doing it all in one go! Making us want to do it all again...... Good luck and enjoy. x

Hi,

We are flying to Cairns on 2nd September and are thinking about driving down to Brisbane, as that is where we are hoping to settle.

Elephants are my favourite so Australia Zoo sounds like a must for us.

It all depends on my Job, when it starts etc. But hoping we do have the time.

April

Archived