Victoria Wineries - nearish to Mentone and Bayside

KazzKing

Hi all,

I'm new to Victoria, live in Mentone and I'd love to visit some wineries over the next few weeks.

I don't like dry wine (Chardonnay a definite no-no) and don't do reds (probably because I don't know enough about them and the ones I've tasted are too heavy - and I'm guessing good quality :biggrin:).

Whites I have liked have been Sauvignon Blanc's and I like most Rose wine as they have been light and fruity.

So can anyone recommend some wineries I should visit considering I'm a novice? I'm good at drinking certain wines but that's about it.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Ta

K

Living in Mentone, First Choice Liquor shop, Dan Murphys.

Wineries are way out from Mentone in the country, there are many on the Mornington Peninsula and many in the Yarra Valley.

I am liking the New Zealand Pinot Gris which is a lovely white wine.

Depends what you want to spend. Visit Dan Murphy they will be able to assist you with new ones to try.

Hi, we also live in Mentone and as Petals has said, it is pretty far out from the wineries. However, if you fancy a brilliant day out then head down to the Mornington Peninsula and do a horseback wineries tour. Myself and hubby did this back in June and had the best day! We went to 3 different wineries and you get to taste all sorts - we don't like white so the tasting focused on red, and the wineries are happy to accomodate individual tastes. I was (and still am) pregnant at the time so didn't do much wine tasting but my hubby had a great time!

Also, we took our little girl up to the Healesville Sanctuary last week and there are loads of wineries up there - we haven't explored that far up yet but it was a lovely drive so might be worth looking into.

I signed up to the deals sites when we moved here a year ago and often see days out advertised that go the wineries so I would recommend looking at those to get a cheap deal - we got the horseback tour at half price through Group On.

Hi,

Petals - thanks, I've checked out the Dan Murphy website but it was more about getting out to try wines and learn a bit more. Will check out the locations you've suggested.

DBC - thanks, I will definitely look out for some tour deals, the horseback tour would be great. Also happy to have some days out and hubby can do the driving as he doesn't drink anyway.

Thanks again

K

Lucky you, I've been driving for 9 months now and am fed up with it!!! It took us just over an hour to get down there and was a lovely drive. We did it in Winter and so had the guide to ourselves. My in laws did the same trip when they were here in November and because of the good weather there were about 9 people in total on the tour.

If I see anyone stumbling around Mentone I'll know it's you!

The Mornington Peninsula doesn't get hot enough (can't believe I'm saying this after the last week we've had) for good reds, so it's white all the way. They are really good down here.

For a change, Sunny Ridge Strawberries, are fantastic. Pick your own, strawberry wines and liquors. The 100% Strawberry Champagne is bloody fantastic. Just up the road at Montalto, they also do flavoured olive oils. The Basil one is the pick for us!