Vetassess not recognised when applying for Contractors Licence

mj&db

Hi All,

We have recently been awarded PR and my husband has decided to set up his own business out here. He haS gone to apply for his Contractors Licence but they are saying that his Vetassess is not enough evidence of him having a equiv cert III (even though the cert they give you says it is proof that you have the equiv of a cert III!) Apparently he needs to go to TAFE or another registered training organisation to get a formal certificate. They are quoting him thousands of dollars to do this!!!! Has anyone else experienced this?? I dont understand why I have to pay for something I have already paid for?! If Vetassess doesn't give you the right documents then why does the bloody immi dept use them???

Hi All,

We have recently been awarded PR and my husband has decided to set up his own business out here. He haS gone to apply for his Contractors Licence but they are saying that his Vetassess is not enough evidence of him having a equiv cert III (even though the cert they give you says it is proof that you have the equiv of a cert III!) Apparently he needs to go to TAFE or another registered training organisation to get a formal certificate. They are quoting him thousands of dollars to do this!!!! Has anyone else experienced this?? I dont understand why I have to pay for something I have already paid for?! If Vetassess doesn't give you the right documents then why does the bloody immi dept use them???

vetassess is just another aussie ploy to raid your pocket ! im a plumber and had to goto london to sit this stupid test which a monkey could have passed and it meant nothing to the plumbing commission here in victoria ! they only use this exam for immigration purposes and once your here u might as well wipe ur arse with it. i got my plumbing registration by showing them my uk papers and experience ! but you really do have to convince them because as far as aussies r concerened poms are substandard workers lol.. good luck:arghh:

You say contractors liecence ? Would this be a builders liecence as you can apply through the Master Builders Assosiation cost is $3800 but there are 50% grants available .recently had a problem with bricklayers on job I was running when the MBA got involved their comment was at last someone who wants to build correctly not bad for a pom ! Said before some of the trades over here leave a lot to be desired .

vetassess is just another aussie ploy to raid your pocket ! im a plumber and had to goto london to sit this stupid test which a monkey could have passed and it meant nothing to the plumbing commission here in victoria ! they only use this exam for immigration purposes and once your here u might as well wipe ur arse with it. i got my plumbing registration by showing them my uk papers and experience ! but you really do have to convince them because as far as aussies r concerened poms are substandard workers lol.. good luck:arghh:

We have showed them the 10yrs experience (inc 2yrs working for a firm here in Oz), all the quals, the vetassess and the white card and they are still saying he needs a cert III document from TAFE! I am going to call TAFE myself tomorrow I think.

Funny you should say POMS are substandard workers - my OH has been disgusted by the standard of work over here!

You say contractors liecence ? Would this be a builders liecence as you can apply through the Master Builders Assosiation cost is $3800 but there are 50% grants available .recently had a problem with bricklayers on job I was running when the MBA got involved their comment was at last someone who wants to build correctly not bad for a pom ! Said before some of the trades over here leave a lot to be desired .

Yes his builders licence. I am ok paying for that (well im not but you know what i mean). Prob is Dept of Fair Trading will not accept his VETASSESS cert as a valid skills assessment for cert III. They are telling us to go to TAFE to get a cert but they want to charge us $1200 or something stupid!

Welcome to Oz it's just a money making programme as I said before some of the contractors I have come across are a lot to be desired .i ran a defects come maintaine dept for one of the best known builders in Sydney mostly $10 m plus properties the defects were unbelievable. Just very bad workmanship and no common spence .good luck

What did he take vetasess in ? I did mine in carpentry and got a Cert 3 from Victoria university which I used to get my carpentry licence . Applying for my builders licence now and most of it is written experience and references which helps me miss some of the modules . Doing mine through BSA . I'm in qld , I guess it could vary state to state .