Who's who?

Guest Julz

Arrived May 2008 Family of 6 on a 457 Visa

2 Eldest Girls went home after 2yrs on a WHV as they were over 18 couldn't be classed as Dependants on Fathers Visa

Mother is here on a Parent Visa...........Cost/Costs ongoing a FORTUNE

Got PR in April 2011........just made it before 3rd child turned 18

Heading back to Spain soon.......no date set yet

2yrs 9mths since I've seen my eldest Girls..........far too long :(

Leaving my Mother in Sydney

Leaving my 3rd Child in Perth

Youngest coming with us (11yrs)

Whichever way I turn.............I'm losing out one way or another............

Edited by LojaChica
Forgot to add my "Baby" :)

Moved from UK in 2003 to NZ then Sydney - Moving back March hopefully (if not earlier)

We moved over as a family (hubbie and 2 boys). A few years ago split up from my husband of 20 years odd but we are the best of friends. I suppose we came out for the 'forever migration' but I always missed the UK and everything that goes with it. We didnt have the cash to go back often which made it worse. Went back last year for the first time and realsed it wasnt as bad as everyone made out.

TBH if I had met someone in Sydney I probably would have stayed (with trips back home) but I didnt and my son want to go to an English Uni so seems the right time ot go back and I am really really excited! I am doing the sensible thing of trying to find a job first though and have had some interest so here's hoping.

Someone on MBTUK said that we should look at moves as here and now and not 'forever' and I really like that idea but also that I feel I belong back home. There is also the ex-pat thing as I am trying to decide on an area and that is not easy. What is nice for me (oxford) is probably not the best for my 16 yo in terms of going out with his friends etc. I didnt want to move back to London but may have to for my son for a couple of years. Another good thing (for the women) is I am pleased there will be better beauty salons etc as I find the ones in NZ and NSW are just made up of very young people without much experience and hardly any qualifications. When you wax frequently it matters! I found back home they were so professional and hygienic. The amount of salons I have been to (including Nads in Sydney) where they dont change the paper on the table etc is really high - just a pet whinge of mine.

I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread of who's who, when you arrived in Oz and when you departed ......keeping it simple so I can edit this first page with everyone's details....shall I start:

Julz (family of 5) - Arrived in Darwin Oct 2009, Departed Brisbane Dec 2012 (3 years 2 months)

Harpodom (family of 4) - Arrived Aug 2008, no plans to depart yet!

TheSally (family of 6) - Pingpom, most recent arrival 1998, plans to move home Aug 2014

Kerry Pollard (family of 3) - Arrived May 2012, departing July 2014

Twinsmom65 (family of 4) - Arrived Oct 2008, departed Dec 2010

Jules2409 (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to depart end of 2013

landv (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to move back 2014

Moving 2 Melbourne (family of 5) - Arrived Melbourne 2004, now in Cairns, no plans no move home

Lucia (family of 3) - Arrived Sept 2008, plans to move back 2014

VERYSTORMY (family of 2) - Arrived Sydney 2008, moved to Perth, no plans to return yet

Endless Winter (family of 3) - Pingpom, most recent arrival Jan 2011, no plans to return yet

Flathead - Arrived 2007, no plans to return yet

Quoll - Arrived Mar 1979, departed Sept 2011 (for holiday of 8 weeks)......still in UK and lovin it

Dawny - Arrived May 2010, departed Aug 2010

Sapphire - Arrived Aug 2007, sentence ends mid 2013!!

RoseBrown1978 - Arrived Nov 2011, plans to return May 2015

I can't believe your making me stay till 2014, I'm going in July 2013. Xx

Family of five (plus chocolate brown labrador) arrived Brisbane 17 January 2012.

Husband couldn't get job in Brisbane although skill on shortage list. Husband ended up getting job in Perth May 2012 and rest of family stayed in Brisbane.

Now we are all moving to Canberra beginning of February as husband has job there so definitely staying another 11 months as husband has job still open for him in UK then we have to decide what to do. At the moment not sure as moved to Australia and not really been together as a family yet.

Edited by Laguna
error

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no see... Hello all!

He: 43, Englishman, sponsored by a uni in Melbourne, sponsoring me on 457 as de-facto

She (Me): 35 (well almost), Krautwoman, de-facto & sponsored by him, not married, no plans to marry (no need after 14 years); I finally found work in Melbourne (HOORAY!!!), and I have been in that job for a year now. (Still cannot believe that it finally happened after all that frustration.)

We: Arrived June 2011 in Melbourne and not sure yet when to leave. Visa expiring in early 2015. At least staying until then. We shall know more in two years time... (Would be nice to buy a flat sometime somewhere though. Rent is getting expensive in the long term.)

Edited by marta

Thistle13 (started out as family of 4) arrived July 1988 with hubby and 2 sons aged 5 and 7. Divorced 2000, hubby now with someone else. entered another relationship 2001-2009. Eldest son now 32 and back in Scotland. youngest son 30yrs old living his own life tho the revolving door meant he came back to stay with me almost 3yrs ago with the pretence to keep ME company - yeah right. Planning on going back early 2014 which is the year of my 60th.

Family of 5 - all from England, arrived in Sydney in April 2008. Children aged 14, 13 and 7 when we arrived.

I disliked it from the start but made the best of it, worked made friends etc. Depression set in and I went back to UK with youngest son then aged 10 in February 2011.

Loved every minute, being me again, came off antidepressants.

Due to family reasons had to return to Sydney in April 2012. Tried really hard to look at it all with positive eyes, make a go of marriage again etc.

Didn't work out, am back on antidepressants and aiming to go home this year.

I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread of who's who, when you arrived in Oz and when you departed ......keeping it simple so I can edit this first page with everyone's details....shall I start:

Julz (family of 5) - Arrived in Darwin Oct 2009, Departed Brisbane Dec 2012 (3 years 2 months)

Harpodom (family of 4) - Arrived Aug 2008, no plans to depart yet!

TheSally (family of 6) - Pingpom, most recent arrival 1998, plans to move home Aug 2014

Kerry Pollard (family of 3) - Arrived May 2012, departing July 2013

Twinsmom65 (family of 4) - Arrived Oct 2008, departed Dec 2010

Jules2409 (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to depart end of 2013

landv (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to move back 2014

Moving 2 Melbourne (family of 5) - Arrived Melbourne 2004, now in Cairns, no plans no move home

Lucia (family of 3) - Arrived Sept 2008, plans to move back 2014

VERYSTORMY (family of 2) - Arrived Sydney 2008, moved to Perth, no plans to return yet

Endless Winter (family of 3) - Pingpom, most recent arrival Jan 2011, no plans to return yet

Flathead - Arrived 2007, no plans to return yet

Quoll - Arrived Mar 1979, departed Sept 2011 (for holiday of 8 weeks)......still in UK and lovin it

Dawny - Arrived May 2010, departed Aug 2010

Sapphire - Arrived Aug 2007, sentence ends mid 2013!!

RoseBrown1978 - Arrived Nov 2011, plans to return May 2015

I am now going on the 5th April 2013 with my son, my hubby is staying in Oz.

• 1 month later...

Emigrated to Oz with family aged 9 in 1970.Returned to the UK 1998 after separating with aussie OH.Brought our girls with me(also aussies).I am on a RRV,which expires in 2015.Immi have told me I will probably not be able to renew it (have already done this 2 times).Atm I don't know what I am going to do.For me people are more important than places,so if my kids decide to move back to Oz at any point,and I havent got a RRV,then I am stuck here for the rest of my days in the UK.I love the UK but the thought of staying here without my kids/gradaughters is really not a nice thought.I don't mind Australia,but I don't love it either.Think I would be quite bored there tbh!

Guest guest74886

HI

Oz to France.

Me and wife, moved over in 2005, bored rigid and sick of there being no decent drinking holes, absolutely go0bsmacked at the levels of corruption and nepotism here at all levels,

The escape tunnel is almost under the wire,only 6 months more to go and on the plane in September this year if all goes to plan.

Edited by guest74886

Emigrated 1982 with 2 kids who now have several kids of thier own - ie 6 Aussie grandchildren whom I adore

Went back in 2001 until 2006 to look after my Mum

Now thinking of spending twilight years (!) in the UK and commuting to Oz -we like the ease of getting around in England

The Great Train Robbers only got 30 years after all

Guest chris955

Family of 4, I arrived in Austtalia in 1962 as a very small baby. Travelled backwards and forwards a bit, not pingponging, just felt right at the time. Got married in the 80's in England and moved back to Geelong where I grew up. I still dont think my wife has forgiven me for that :)

Found ourselves back in England for 2 years then decided to move to Brisbane on a bit of a whim really. Had twin boys, bought a house and felt quite settled. 2012 decided to come to England, bought a 17th century house in a beautiful village and love it. Where we will be in a year or 5 years dont know. At the moment we are here and happy. Havent regretted any move or anything we have done.

I'm from Scotland originally and arrived in 2006 with a back pack. Started off in Sydney and met my English hubby there and been on every visa known to man. Moved to Melbourne in 2009 and have since had two kids. Flights booked for May with my 2 year old and 8 month old. Hubby following later this year. Can't wait to get home and settled but nervous at the same time, a we've alot to sort out this year.

Woofyhugger aka Matt

Moved to Australia with my parents in 1974.

Lived in Brisbane for 30 years, Sydney for 1 year, and Melbourne for 9 or so.

Went back to the UK for the first time in 2010 for a few months. Absolutely loved it.

Came back to Oz to tie up some lose ends.

Moving back to the UK at the end of 2013.

Love Australia, it's looked after me these last 40 years, but I don't want the rest of my life to be another 40 in Australia. The thought of that makes me feel trapped and depressed. Bring on the cold, wet and snow. Something I couldn't get enough of in the UK. Yes, I'm sad.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest74886
Hello! :cute:

Name: cartertucker

Arrived in WA Nov 2011 (Family of 5 plus bump!)

Departed WA Oct 2012 (Family of 5 minus eldest Son-hoping he will be home in 2014) Total time 11 months

It's true then is it, WA (AKA Perth) is the end of the world; Therebe Dragons there.

Queensland (AKA Brisbane), beyond the Dragons, 8 Years 3 months and still bloody counting.

:cry:

Edited by guest74886