Who's who?

Guest Julz

I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread of who's who, when you arrived in Oz and when you departed ......keeping it simple so I can edit this first page with everyone's details....shall I start:

Julz (family of 5) - Arrived in Darwin Oct 2009, Departed Brisbane Dec 2012 (3 years 2 months)

Harpodom (family of 4) - Arrived Aug 2008, no plans to depart yet!

TheSally (family of 6) - Pingpom, most recent arrival 1998, plans to move home Aug 2014

Kerry Pollard (family of 3) - Arrived May 2012, departing April 2013

Twinsmom65 (family of 4) - Arrived Oct 2008, departed Dec 2010

Jules2409 (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to depart end of 2013

landv (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2008, plans to move back 2014

Moving 2 Melbourne (family of 5) - Arrived Melbourne 2004, now in Cairns, no plans no move home

Lucia (family of 3) - Arrived Sept 2008, plans to move back 2014

VERYSTORMY (family of 2) - Arrived Sydney 2008, moved to Perth, no plans to return yet

Endless Winter (family of 3) - Pingpom, most recent arrival Jan 2011, no plans to return yet

Flathead - Arrived 2007, no plans to return yet

Quoll - Arrived Mar 1979, departed Sept 2011 (for holiday of 8 weeks)......still in UK and lovin it

Dawny - Arrived May 2010, departed Aug 2010

Sapphire - Arrived Aug 2007, sentence ends mid 2013!!

RoseBrown1978 - Arrived Nov 2011, plans to return May 2015

LojaChic (family of 6) - Arrived May 2008, heading home to Spain TBC

SKW (family of 3) - Arrived Nov 2009, returning 2013

Lpool7 (family of 3) - Arrived 2003, returning 2013

Laguna (family of 5) - Arrived Brisbane Jan 2012, returning TBC

marta (family of 2) - Arrived Melbourne June 2011, possibly returning 2015

Thistle13 (family of 4) - Arrived July 1988, returning 2014

lamada (family of 5) - Arrived Sydney April 2008, pingponged, returning 2013

CrimsonPetal (family of 3) - Arrived Perth Nov 2006, returned Jan 2013 (over 6 years)

Edited by Julz

harpo-

Me (pom) wife (Aus), 2 boys

Arrived Aus aug 2008

Still here! Actually pretty happy TBH but I feel there's something NQR.

No plans to return in the immediate future

Wouldn't contemplate returning unless it was a cast iron certainty of job, nice house, decent education for boys

Guest TheSally

TheSally - 1978 OH -1970 went back 1989 moved back 1998

Four children here in Oz aged 7, 8, 18 and 20, 3 (adult) step children and 4 grandchildren in Uk

Planning to move over in August 2014 with two youngest children

Arrived from Scotland to in Perth November 2008 - me, DH and DS (now 9) - sponsored 457 visa, got PR 9 motnhs later. Plan to return in the second half of this year, it's dependent on selling our house.

Guest The Pom Queen

Moving 2 Melbourne (family of 5) - Arrived in 2004 to Melbourne moved to Cairns in 2010 (I think)

Kids love Aus, I love Cairns although do miss a lot of things about the UK, hubby - think he would go home tomorrow if given the chance.

Hello there!

This is my first post in this section as I was too scared out 'in public'. Tee hee!

Moved here with hubby (who has dual nationality) in Sept 2008

Had our daughter Aug 2011 (she's an Aussie)

I am doing my citizenship ceremony this Australia Day (what a hypocrite...feel awful about it actually)

Expecting another baby in June 2013 (will also be an Aussie)

Hoping to move back to the UK Easter 2014.

We are staying long enough so my husband can get more experience in his current position with the hope it will help in getting a decent job at home. I'd love to go back earlier than that but I think what we're doing makes sense. It also means we can save up as much money as possible for the move.

Moving 2 Melbourne (family of 5) - Arrived in 2004 to Melbourne moved to Cairns in 2010 (I think)

Kids love Aus, I love Cairns although do miss a lot of things about the UK, hubby - think he would go home tomorrow if given the chance.

I'm quite surprised that Rob would move back if he had the chance... I thought both of you loved it.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm quite surprised that Rob would move back if he had the chance... I thought both of you loved it.

He is 70/30 for going home. He has had a lot to put up with with me and I think he realised he has no back up over here. Plus he misses lots of things about the UK. I think once the boys all finish school then he will be asking to go back, although things may change again. It probably doesn't help being up here, he hates the heat and I hate the cold lol.

He is 70/30 for going home. He has had a lot to put up with with me and I think he realised he has no back up over here. Plus he misses lots of things about the UK. I think once the boys all finish school then he will be asking to go back, although things may change again. It probably doesn't help being up here, he hates the heat and I hate the cold lol.

And will you say yes?

Endless Winter and Ms E.W. and 6 y.o. daughter. Arrived in QLD in October '08 and stayed until September '10. Went back to the UK but the recession and the government cuts to local government jobs killed the return stone dead. In truth, my O.H. never wanted to return there and after 4 months of couch-surfing, house-sitting, rented apartments and staying with family we gave up and returned to Australia in Jan '11. Two year anniversary this week and home seems further away than ever.

I assume I can post here as I can see all the posts. We have been here 5 years and have citizenship. We came on a parent visa after I tried to retire.

that Did not work as I have worked since we got here....but only when I choose

we are torn as we have a son here and grandchildren but also have a son and grandchild in the UK.

we will probably go back when I eventually decide to retire for good.....I just do not see myself being retired here. If I did not work I would be too bored.

anyway good luck to you all....you will be going back to a wonderful country

Me too, very surprised, the % thing is important - you don't have to be 100% sure to move (either way!), there are great things (& awful things) about both countries - I was only ever 80% sure about moving to Aus and I'm about the same about moving back. As I said to me son (who has his moments of focussing on what he'll miss) so long as he's 51% sure he wants to live in Scotland then that's the right place to be. It's the curse of the ex-pat, wherever you are there are things you will miss.

I am actually more worried about the move back as I had naivety on my side last time around :biggrin:

Me too, very surprised, the % thing is important - you don't have to be 100% sure to move (either way!), there are great things (& awful things) about both countries - I was only ever 80% sure about moving to Aus and I'm about the same about moving back. As I said to me son (who has his moments of focussing on what he'll miss) so long as he's 51% sure he wants to live in Scotland then that's the right place to be. It's the curse of the ex-pat, wherever you are there are things you will miss.

I am actually more worried about the move back as I had naivety on my side last time around :biggrin:

So am I Jules, scared to death... and not sure why because I know the place warts and all.

I'm also with you on the naivety thing, I now think back and laugh to myself how unbelievably naive I was about my own expectations of how our life was going to be here. I wish I'd have the same carefree attitude towards moving back what I had when we moved here... but perhaps that was my downfall.

As with the percentage of moving back.. on good days I'm 100% sure, but hell, doubts has begun to creep in for sure

Arrived Australia 28 March 1979 and arrived back in UK 1 Sept 2011 for a "holiday" of 8 weeks from which I haven't returned. Basically, the wheels fell off the parental wagon and, being an only child, I'm here until they pop their clogs. Love it here, I no longer wake up every morning with OMG I am still bloody here! As my first thought. I have lost 25kg in weight and am fitter and happier than I have been in decades - I suspect the weight loss has been more because I am not depressed than anything else. I am just regretting that DH refused to budge for so damned long! (He's a proud Aussie). Have one son here who didn't return from his gap year and one in Aus with 2 grandkids