TRA skill assessment. HELP NEEDED X

stephaniepomroy

hello. were quite new to the who visa applications so pls bear with me! were wanting to go to oz on a 189 were now looking into our first step which iv been told would be to get my partners skills assessest via TRA as there is a back log, hes a plasterer by trade, iv had conversations with the immi in london and was advised to do this first, im rather confused tho, how do we go about this? chris (my partner) does not have a nvq in the trade but has 10yrs experience. where do we start getting this done? all help and advice will be great x

Hi Stephanie, if he doesn't have any qualifications he'll prob have to do an aqf which is an Australian recognised qualification which can cost about 2 grand. Don't know all the ins and outs we decided it would be better to apply with my qualifications to save on the costs. I'm sure someone will be able to give you a lot more information on here. Nancy

iv been told because of his experiance he will not need the aqf.

=> Suggest you recheck with whoever told you this.

ideally an agent would be good to use but iv also been told that there so expensive

=> What is often very expensive is heading down a visa pathway when you're not sure of your strategy. It might be a dead end.

Best regards.

You usually find if you phone round some migration agents they'll run through your details and give you some advice before you sign up. I'm pretty sure your husband would need the aqf. Mines has 15 years experience with no formal qualifications in floor fitting and was told he would need it. I was lucky enough to have all my qualifications as a hairdresser so decided to apply on that.x

thanx for that alan, it was the immigration dept in london who advised me he wouldnt need his aqf due to his experiance, ovsl we have looked down the 457 route too but it does seem difficult to obtain sponsorship for a plasterer as to why were now looking 189. if I sent you Christopher's cv could u advise me on what were best to do reguading our situation, im also a hairdresser with my nvq 2 but im not on the sol list which is why chris will try and obtain a visa x

You usually find if you phone round some migration agents they'll run through your details and give you some advice before you sign up. I'm pretty sure your husband would need the aqf. Mines has 15 years experience with no formal qualifications in floor fitting and was told he would need it. I was lucky enough to have all my qualifications as a hairdresser so decided to apply on that.x

im also a hairdresser with my nvq 2 but were not on the sol list anymode so obtaing a 189 in my trade is now impossible, chris has already spent 4 months out on the gold coast and came home for xmas, hes going back April, hes currently on a WHV X

im also a hairdresser with my nvq 2 but im not on the sol list which is why chris will try and obtain a visa x

I think hairdresser is on CSOL list 2 which needs state sponsorship. However I think you'd need NVQ level 3 to be classed as equivalent to the Aussie qualification and TRA require 3 years post qualification experience. I could be wrong though so maybe it's worth looking into?

Edited by Gareth 666

thanx for that alan, it was the immigration dept in london who advised me he wouldnt need his aqf due to his experiance, ovsl we have looked down the 457 route too but it does seem difficult to obtain sponsorship for a plasterer as to why were now looking 189. if I sent you Christopher's cv could u advise me on what were best to do reguading our situation, im also a hairdresser with my nvq 2 but im not on the sol list which is why chris will try and obtain a visa x

Hello again Stephanie.

Least said about that advice from DIAC in London the better ...

I believe you exchanged emails with our Marina Towner last September regarding strategy? Would you like me to ask her to telephone you?

Best regards.

I think hairdresser is on CSOL list 2 which needs state sponsorship. However I think you'd need NVQ level 3 to be classed as equivalent to the Aussie qualification and TRA require 3 years post qualification experience. I could be wrong though so maybe it's worth looking into?

I only qualified july in my level 2 x

Hello again Stephanie.

Least said about that advice from DIAC in London the better ...

I believe you exchanged emails with our Marina Towner last September regarding strategy? Would you like me to ask her to telephone you?

Best regards.

that would be brilliant alan if you could, its all so confusing to me! i remember email her but chris said he was sorting things out at the time with a sponsor which never happened in the end :( shall I inbox u my number x

Guest westwoodc

Hi husband needed an AQF prior to TRA, he is a Marine Engineer (14 yrs) but as he gained his trade in the Navy he didnt have any recognised qualifications, the AQF III did cost us just over 2k, hope this helps

Hi Stephanie,

My OH has run his own business for 8 years and been in his trade for 10 years and required an AQF before he could commence his assessment with TRA.

We used Alan at Australian Skills Assessment and cannot fault their service. They held our hand through each stage of the process. The total cost was £2,000. The final stage of the process was a 3 hour video conference call with an Assessor in Sydney.

We were assessed by TRA in 41 working days first time round.

As GBuss says if you contact TRA they can send you a list of the RTO's to get your AQF.

Good Luck.

So even if my partner gaind a NVQ in plastering now (which hes done all his life) would he still need do get a AQF x

Yep afraid so. I was just completing my NVQ level when I started my TRA journey but they told me that it would not be recognised until I had 3 years experience after passing.

• 5 months later...

Hi folks

My partner is a painter with over 10 years work experience but has no qualifications. He was about to embark on the EWPA (experienced worker practical assessment) route to an NVQ 2 but we are now unsure whether this would be a good idea after reading all the posts on this thread and others. If he would need work experience after gaining the qualification then it is not the route we need to take, however, as it would be based on previous work we are wondering whether this would be recognised and acceptable as the qualification would have been gained through a private institution and not college. He is now considering the AQF route that has been mentioned here. Would this really be accepted by TRA for his assessment as he would still have no post qualification experience? If they do accept this would he still be able to have his previous years experience also included?

Im assuming that TRA do not give positive assessments based on work experience alone, even though the DIAC say at least 3 years experience may substitute for lack of qualifications?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thankyou for the reply.

My partner would have 60 points if we included the AQF and provided he scored 20 points on his ielts. He is english born and bred so shouldnt think that will be too much of a problem. We would like to also go for the 190 visa for WA as my occupation is on the schedule 2 list but again, I have 8 years experience with no formal qualification and WA state a person needs to hold a qualification. Im waiting for them to reply as to whether they acceptthe years experience instead. This applies to their change of state nomination coming out in July.

Thanks again

Hi Alan

Do you know please if we can still include my partners previous 10 years experience as well as the AQF or would they only count post qualification experience? Sorry to bother you.

Sorry - that is too specific a question for me to answer on a forum - we'll be delighted to help if you are minded to instruct Go Matilda Visas.

Best regards.