At last. A good Indian restaurant!!!!

VERYSTORMY

Anyone heading South in WA? I would recommend Curry Leaf in Albany. Went there twice in three nights. I gather it is a rather recent addition to that city's culinary delights.

It cost around $64 for two.......you can byo or purchase on sight. The location is part of a motel off the Albany Highway. Well worth a visit when in town.

I make my own and IMO they are top , Curries in the uk are made for the uk , ie. sauce from a curry base added to protein and other ingredients , authentic Asian curries are more stiffer , like a dry stew. My mate was an Kashmiri his mam made us some curry , it was top drawer but she made it saucy for us lol , went to Restaurants in Bradford where the food was very Indian

I make my own and IMO they are top , Curries in the uk are made for the uk , ie. sauce from a curry base added to protein and other ingredients , authentic Asian curries are more stiffer , like a dry stew. My mate was an Kashmiri his mam made us some curry , it was top drawer but she made it saucy for us lol , went to Restaurants in Bradford where the food was very Indian

Indian food varies massively both by region and of course by religion. For example there we used to go to a place in Leicester called Bobbys. It is the most basic place you can imagine - plastic garden chairs. But amazing food. Hindu vegetarian from the southern states. Hindu people travelled from all over the UK.

A lot of people don't realize that there are entire Indian cuisines that have no chili or others that are very dry others that have almost no spice and are pretty bland. Even the same dish varies a lot regionally.

Guest Guest26012

My oh does make a good curry! His bajis are excellent! He makes them really spicey though so not to everyone's taste! Got a lamb curry cooking at the mo, smells delish!

last time I ordered a curry in perth it was more like a soup.... and that seemed to be the norm in a lot of curry places. I hope this new one isn't like that? The best curry believe it not that I had was in the middle of no where in the flinders rangers :D

Yes. like spicy bisto!!

Again Indian in pommyland isn't Indian by any stretch of the imagination, apart from yours that is. Did you honestly think I didn't eat Pakistani/Bangladeshi there?

sorry, got to disagree with you on that one, Indian food is by far my favourite, both Pakistani & Bangladeshi, and I have eaten in many restaurants throughout the uk and also India, maybe you just went to the wrong ones..

Guest Ptp113
sorry, got to disagree with you on that one, Indian food is by far my favourite, both Pakistani & Bangladeshi, and I have eaten in many restaurants throughout the uk and also India, maybe you just went to the wrong ones..

Distint possibility. Too much time spent in one of those, and nowhere near enough in the other

Not this old chestnut. It's a complete fallacy that all Indian restaurants in the UK dish up a bland regulation ersatz Bangladeshi fare. Sure, there are a lot of those, especially in rural areas and places with small or no South Asian populations. In big cities with substantial populations - like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester, Bradford - there are a lot of "proper" Indians.

VS has posted previously about living in Leicester - a city where most of the Asians are Indian rather than Pakistani or Bangladeshi - and also about his interest in food. So I think he knows the difference.

Anyway, how would you know what's sold in the UK? From your previous posts you've only been back once in 40 years.

Talking of rural, we recently went to what billed itself as being a Mexican restaurant in a small but rather famous town in Cornwall. I won't name the town as it only has one Mexican restaurant and if I name the town, it will become evident which restaurant it is. We love Mexican food so were really pleased to find one of our favourite type of restaurants in such a remote spot. However, it became clear very quickly that actually they had no idea what Mexican food was, and thought that anything that was the same colour as the original food was fine.

Thus Salsa became Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (the owner said they were from the same part of the world so did not think anyone would notice the difference - geography not her strong point either). The sour cream was single cream (as she didn't want anyone complaining about the cream being off). Suffice to say no tip was left (other than a verbal,"you need to do some research on Mexican food" and we ended up going to the local chippy instead.

Have now given up on restaurants in remote areas that serve food which is anything other than British (unless they have a large/significant ethnic minority population).

Indian food varies massively both by region and of course by religion. For example there we used to go to a place in Leicester called Bobbys. It is the most basic place you can imagine - plastic garden chairs. But amazing food. Hindu vegetarian from the southern states. Hindu people travelled from all over the UK.

A lot of people don't realize that there are entire Indian cuisines that have no chili or others that are very dry others that have almost no spice and are pretty bland. Even the same dish varies a lot regionally.

I agree. Some of the most fabulous Indian food I had was from a restaurant in Bangalore. I really wanted to find a UK restaurant that did similar food but despite trying all over the place, I have yet to find anywhere that does food in the Southern Indian style and yet it is absolutely scrummy! I'm trying to persuade my husband that once I am back at work and we have a little more money, a trip to Bangalore is a must (and I've sold the kids on it by promising a trip to the tiger and elephant camps nearby where they look after orphaned animals).

lol!

TBH I've rarely found good Mexican stuff in the UK. I've had a few OK-ish ones but it was all pretty plastic. I worked in Houston for a bit 15 years ago, that probably spoiled me where Mex (OK then, Tex-Mex) is concerned

Yes I agree. We did Route 66 a few years ago and I had the most fantastic chicken fajita from a stall in the market square in Sante Fe (New Mexico) and nothing has matched it since.

Thanks, can't wait. When when we were there last year, got Chinese (can't remember from where) it was bland. I will enjoy experimenting different places.

Lots of nice places to eat in Perth. I live SOR and found a great Indian restaurant innVic Park called Cinammon on the Park. Reasonably priced, place is smallish but good flow of customers. Would defo recommend it.

Good luck on your move here, it's daunting but the best thing we ever did! Been here for almost 2 years and can't see ourselves going back to live.

Cx

• 3 weeks later...