Prescription Advice,please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

PRESCRIPTION ADVISE,PLEASE HELP!!!!hi again.

my son has brittle asthma,and is on a large number of inhalers,4 a day,plus a steroid,10mg dose every other day.in the uk,until he is 16 these are paid for by the nhs. but wanting to know,what the system is over in oz.will we have to pay for the prescriptions.he is 10 years old. what is the system in oz.desperate to know if we can afford to go,orwill it be too expensive because of the healthcare.any advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!:notworthy:

PRESCRIPTION ADVISE,PLEASE HELP!!!!hi again.

my son has brittle asthma,and is on a large number of inhalers,4 a day,plus a steroid,10mg dose every other day.in the uk,until he is 16 these are paid for by the nhs. but wanting to know,what the system is over in oz.will we have to pay for the prescriptions.he is 10 years old. what is the system in oz.desperate to know if we can afford to go,orwill it be too expensive because of the healthcare.any advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!:notworthy:

Anything on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme is going to cost you about $31 per item per filling. If it isnt on the PBS and costs you more than that then sometimes your private health will pay some of the excess (not all of the difference though!). There is a "safety net" linked in to the tax system and if you pay out over a certain amount in a year above a designated threshold (about 1250 I think off the top of my head) then you can claim that as an expense at tax time and get a bit of a rebate.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jonny

Please see here:

www.asthmaaustralia.org.au | Welcome to<BR>Asthma Foundations Australia

The Association in the State you are interested in will know what the score is with Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in their State.

Please also see the following links:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

The above is the link to information about the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between The UK and Australia and is important if you will be a Temporary Resident to begin with (eg on a 457 visa.)

For Individuals - Medicare Australia

The above is if you will have PR on arrival in Oz.

pbs.gov.au - PBS Portal - Home

The above is the Pharmacetuical Benefits Scheme.

PBS Safety Net - Medicare Australia

The above explains the PBS Safety Net which limits the amount you would have to pay for your son's drugs during a particular year.

Where products are palliative in nature and the need for them is long-term, there are sometimes additional concessions. For instance, Stoma patients who get the products via the Stoma Association pay a much reduced rate for them, I believe. Hence it is well worth investigating what the Asthma Foundations say about inhalers etc. They may have similar arrangements.

If you want to search for whether a specific type of drug (however administered) is available on the PBS you have to use the generic name of the active drug involved, not the British brand name because the brand names are different in Oz.

Does this help at all or is your query more specific?

Best wishes

Gill

thankyou very much for all the info,been in touch with the asthma foundation,in nsw. very encouraging, many many thanks.:notworthy:

Guest dwaldron

How much a prescription costs depends on the medication. I pay $14 for two months supply of my tablets, in the UK I paid £6.60 for one months supply, so some things are cheaper. You can get an idea by looking online at Australia's online pharmacy, your direct chemist ePharmacy - epharmacy and searching by the brand name or active ingredient (some drugs have a different name here).

Archived