Anyone have Solar PV system experience?

milliem

Hey all

Our new rental place has a Solar PV system which by the looks of it feeds into the grid. The Agent didn't know much about how it is set up. Yesterday I received a letter from Energex saying that we would receive 8 cents rebate per kilowatt hour for any excess electricity exported to the network.

My question is does anyone have experience of how much of a saving this will put on the bills? There is no gas at the property and there are only two of us.

Millie x

Edited by milliem

its like most of the threads on here lol, need more info!

only a lil one though, how many panels do you have?

What's it matter when you are renting you don't have to recoup the installation cost , depends what tariff you are on , the more economical it is

Guest GeorgeD

Check with your agent/landlord whether you get eth money back...there was a post a while back here by someone who was being charged a bill for his electricity useage by the landlord even though they had solar and it was generating more than they were using. the landlord had stipulated that the income from the Solar panels was his adn the ntennant still needs to pay what they use.

Other landlords will use the solar as an incentive for you to take on the place, and even maybe charge a higher rent than they would if you didn't have it as you get money back from the utility provider.

Thanks so much for the replies guys

The place was advertised as economical /sustainable living or whatever it's called and the letter does say that as I am the utility account holder, I will receive any payment for excess. Number of panels? That's harder because I am away at the moment but I think there are 5 or six? It's a small single storey villa. I am not sure whether there are panels on the other side of the pitch roof because the rear yard is under cover to the boundary.

The only directive I was given by the agent was not to isolate the the solar feed in. I guess I will need to check the tariff as well. Perhaps I should give the provider a call. I didn't really think about it when I chose the place, Typical female, my decision was swung by the herb garden and the cleanliness of the place. We saw some grotty places in the lead up.

Millie x

sounds good, as long as you get the feed in.

each panel is good for just shy of 200w. so 7 panels should give you about 1.3Kw.

the plan is to utilise it as best you can, so if you get a high feed in, then try to use as little energy as you can in the day, and wash at night. if the feed in is poor, then use as much of the solar as you can, by washing at midday etc.

generally speaking if it gets warm, it uses a lot of energy. so hot water heaters washing machines etc should be the things you plan on using in the cheap period. the exception is air con, its pretty power hungry too!

tvs stereos etc use next to nothing so dont let them sway your judgement.

We get paid once a year for the excess power we have put into the grid. I think we are due about four hundred dollars presently. We do our washing on weekends, early morning, dishwasher on in the night when its the lowest tariff. We have not paid a electricity bill for over a year now. We do have 16 panels. If you are away a lot you should win as you will be exporting power most of the day.

It will depend on the contract with the service provider how much you get back. We got ours before the reduced the amount paid for the power so we get about 67 cents per whatever they are for our power.

We love it because today when its very hot we can run the aircon and it does not cost us anything.