Wanted Down Under - New Series 7

craigyboy

Yes, it's back on: Wanted Down Under. Well, what can I say!! I am from Glasgow and so are the couple featured this morning. The couple featured initial comments made about the Oz houses and most worryingly the area's amenities compared to where they come from in Glasgow was just laughable. The usual statements, providing the mandatory maximum cringe factor was to be heard continually: I am totally embarrassed to be a Glaswegian as consequence!!! For example, the usual round of comments "I'm not coming all the way round the world to stay in a dump like this" or" we'll sleep out on deck chairs and not go into the house, if this the only house we can get over here with a pool :elvis:".

In my Scottish dialect I have only one thing to say, ' don't forget yer auld arse'!!!! The rental they had was clean and tidy and double the size of the ex council house they hailed from in Scotland!!! Not saying the couple didn't have a lovely home in Scotland, but come on, to be making comments bordering on derogatory about the shows featured homes (which to be honest the shows producers should be showing rented property as well as property suited to the couples budget and demographic). For me was continually bordering on the rude. I have only one thing to say,"Away back to the social deprivation of the East end of Glasgow where :wink: life expectancy of a man living there is 59!!!"

For the future anyone from Glasgow please remember the Scottish saying I stated early and your manners and keep your comments under control. Understandably, the houses may not have been their style, but comments like "this is manky (dirty)" was just plain rude. No wonder the Australian call us whinging POMS. The last two houses where a little older, they were certainly not dirty. Maybe Australians have more of the right attitudes to life and spend their money on enjoying life, rather than continually trying to keep up with Jones with the latest look for the house in the UK.

Thankfully, Australia won the family over eventually. My point is: people should stop having a mandatory strop at the slightest issue that doesn't suit them i.e. thats it forgot Australia, we are not coming here!! So, for the future please take time and think about what you are saying, particularly when you open your mouth. And please, please stop comparing the first thing that you think is below standard, the minute Australia offers something that somewhere up in your minds delusions appears sub par to what you think you have better in the UK to compare it with.

Edited by craigyboy

I didnt think they were that bad tbh.

Yes some of the comments about the house were rude. Did you see the price though compared to the first one!?

I think their point was they werent moving all the way over for a area that they didnt like. Not exactly cheap either!

Other than that i thought they seemed a nice family and quite enthusiastic

Never said they were not a nice family. My point is to compare is one thing, but comments like this is manky where not necessary. You and I both know what the East End of Glasgow is like. What they were being offered was Beverley Hills, Hollywood in comparison.

Yes, it's back on: Wanted Down Under. Well, what can I say!! I am from Glasgow and so are the couple featured this morning. The couple featured initial comments made about the Oz houses and most worryingly the area's amenities compared to where they come from in Glasgow was just laughable. The usual statements, providing the mandatory maximum cringe factor was to be heard continually: I am totally embarrassed to be a Glaswegian as consequence!!! For example, the usual round of comments "I'm not coming all the way round the world to stay in a dump like this" or" we'll sleep out on deck chairs and not go into the house, if this the only house we can get over here with a pool :elvis:".

In my Scottish dialect I have only one thing to say, ' don't forget yer auld arse'!!!! The rental they had was clean and tidy and double the size of the ex council house they hailed from in Scotland!!! Not saying the couple didn't have a lovely home in Scotland, but come on, to be making comments bordering on derogatory about the shows featured homes (which to be honest the shows producers should be showing rented property as well as property suited to the couples budget and demographic). For me was continually bordering on the rude. I have only one thing to say,"Away back to the social deprivation of the East end of Glasgow where :wink: life expectancy of a man living there is 59!!!"

For the future anyone from Glasgow please remember the Scottish saying I stated early and your manners and keep your comments under control. Understandably, the houses may not have been their style, but comments like "this is manky (dirty)" was just plain rude. No wonder the Australian call us whinging POMS. The last two houses where a little older, they were certainly not dirty. Maybe Australians have more of the right attitudes to life and spend their money on enjoying life, rather than continually trying to keep up with Jones with the latest look for the house in the UK.

Thankfully, Australia won the family over eventually. My point is: people should stop having a mandatory strop at the slightest issue that doesn't suit them i.e. thats it forgot Australia, we are not coming here!! So, for the future please take time and think about what you are saying, particularly when you open your mouth. And please, please stop comparing the first thing that you think is below standard, the minute Australia offers something that somewhere up in your minds delusions appears sub par to what you think you have better in the UK to compare it with.

well said craig

the guy was a complete tea pot the couple were having a laugh in regards to there house ,imagine if the oz couple who owned their house that was been viewed done a house swap they would be mortified staying in that scheme Bucky land

Ha ha, nice rant! I agree with every point you have made. My wife & I would trade with any of the houses seen on the show today 'at the drop of a hat' if it meant we could 'up sticks' from our own modest little terraced house in Northern England immediately.

I think that if Brits continue to suffer from the housing economy 'bust' in this country as they are doing currently over the next 10 years or more, future migrants will not be so fussy.

Finally watched it on iplayer. I honestly cannot see what the problem was with the three houses. All quite different and all had good and bad points. I think they were just jetlagged. They were very negative to begin with, but voted for Oz in the end. I wonder if they did end up going out there?

Finally watched it on iplayer. I honestly cannot see what the problem was with the three houses. All quite different and all had good and bad points. I think they were just jetlagged. They were very negative to begin with, but voted for Oz in the end. I wonder if they did end up going out there?

candy girl your timeline indicates your case officer has been allocated. Your key dates are exactly the same as mine. Maybe I will hear tomorrow that mine has been allocated as well and we can get those houses before those two moaners featured on this morning program get a visa :cool:.

Guest The Pom Queen
well said craig

the guy was a complete tea pot the couple were having a laugh in regards to there house ,imagine if the oz couple who owned their house that was been viewed done a house swap they would be mortified staying in that scheme Bucky land

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: do you usually talk to yourself (sorry folks but these two users seem to have a split personality)

candy girl your timeline indicates your case officer has been allocated. Your key dates are exactly the same as mine. Maybe I will hear tomorrow that mine has been allocated as well and we can get those houses before those two moaners featured on this morning program get a visa :cool:.

Good Luck, hope you hear something soon. We have been allocated Team 8. Still in shock how quick things get going when you get the invite.

I do agree. the fact that they looked like they were currently living in an ex council house (nothing wrong with that at all) and it was done up very nicely, but then complained about houses that were at least treble the size of what they currently have at home......well I dont think I can comment :)

I understand that people want to move to something where they are happy.....but did they move into a house like that while starting out in the UK? prob not.

I def agree that the british are all about keeping up with the Jones'.

Agree with every word!! Living in north Glasgow I would have took any of those houses at the drop of a hat! My husband was actually laughing as I'd fell in love with each house just as they drove up the drive!

Oh dear, where to start! Granted I am Scottish but I understood the family perfectly. I have many non-Scottish friends (English, Irish, African, American etc) and we enjoy taking the mickey out of each others mother tongue on occasion BUT there is a fine line doing that with people you know and do not. IMO when someone hears a different accent they shut down and think they do not understand as opposed to just listening to what the person is saying. I do not think the family were out of line, it was their opinions and we are all entitled to them. Who are we to judge people? If we all thought the same and liked the same thing - this world would be very dull indeed! I wish them the best of luck. What I will say is that everyone has aspirations/expectations of what life will be like for them and things that they want - and what is wrong with that? Yes sometimes people maybe unrealistic but they will soon discover that, but leave them to it - are they really harming anyone?!

Disclaimer alert (!!) - I am appearing with my family on WDU very soon and can only speak from our own experience. It was completely embarrassing being filmed and by the 10th time of being told to walk down a street or say the same thing to the camera, patience begins to wear thin! I can only imagine how we have been edited. BUT I do not care!! We got a trip to Australia fully paid for us which allowed us to see if we liked it and could make the move realistically for us. Negatives for us were the houses we were shown were not to our liking but in our own time found brilliant houses that were within our budget and in the area we liked. Positives for us is that we made work contacts for when we get there, got to experience some of the lifestyle and do some recce of the local area. This fantasic opportunity helped us take the plunge and go for it at least 12 months sooner than we would have been able to as I was never going to move to Oz without going to visit at least once beforehand, as that is something that was important for me and my family. So thanks to our trip with WDU we have sold our house, been granted our independent visa and are heading to Oz in September. I have no doubt some just use it for a free holiday (which is crazy cause that filimg was a pain in the a**e at times!!). But for us the programme was used to assist our decision making which it did. Some people in this world are just cynical! Will everyone agree with my views on the houses, lifestyle etc? - No, probably not. Will everyone understand my scottish accent? - No, probably not. Will people laugh at my tears and snot and think I am a selfish git?, Yes probably! Do I care? - no, cause I went to Oz, have now got my visa and am making the move. I may go and hate it but I would rather do that and return home than be in the UK in 10 years time having never given it a try saying what if! Good luck to everyone is all I have to say! ;)

Edited by Davo1
spelling error!

Oh dear, where to start! Granted I am Scottish but I understood the family perfectly. I have many non-Scottish friends (English, Irish, African, American etc) and we enjoy taking the mickey out of each others mother tongue on occasion BUT there is a fine line doing that with people you know and do not. IMO when someone hears a different accent they shut down and think they do not understand as opposed to just listening to what the person is saying. I do not think the family were out of line, it was their opinions and we are all entitled to them. Who are we to judge people? If we all thought the same and liked the same thing - this world would be very dull indeed! I wish them the best of luck. What I will say is that everyone has aspirations/expectations of what life will be like for them and things that they want - and what is wrong with that? Yes sometimes people maybe unrealistic but they will soon discover that, but leave them to it - are they really harming anyone?!

Disclaimer alert (!!) - I am appearing with my family on WDU very soon and can only speak from our own experience. It was completely embarrassing being filmed and by the 10th time of being told to walk down a street or say the same thing to the camera, patience begins to wear thin! I can only imagine how we have been edited. BUT I do not care!! We got a trip to Australia fully paid for us which allowed us to see if we liked it and could make the move realistically for us. Negatives for us were the houses we were shown were not to our liking but in our own time found brilliant houses that were within our budget and in the area we liked. Positives for us is that we made work contacts for when we get there, got to experience some of the lifestyle and do some recce of the local area. This fantasic opportunity helped us take the plunge and go for it at least 12 months sooner than we would have been able to as I was never going to move to Oz without going to visit at least once beforehand, as that is something that was important for me and my family. So thanks to our trip with WDU we have sold our house, been granted our independent visa and are heading to Oz in September. I have no doubt some just use it for a free holiday (which is crazy cause that filimg was a pain in the a**e at times!!). But for us the programme was used to assist our decision making which it did. Some people in this world are just cynical! Will everyone agree with my views on the houses, lifestyle etc? - No, probably not. Will everyone understand my scottish accent? - No, probably not. Will people laugh at my tears and snot and think I am a selfish git?, Yes probably! Do I care? - no, cause I went to Oz, have now got my visa and am making the move. I may go and hate it but I would rather do that and return home than be in the UK in 10 years time having never given it a try saying what if! Good luck to everyone is all I have to say! ;)

Davo 1 I appreciate the frankness of your post and will be routing for you and your family as you make the big move. My post was not about scottish accents, but more about a reminder that oz will be different, with a warning to embrace change, but for God sake don't be derogatory and remember you have to start somewhere. All the best for your move and the future.