prescription costs and access for new arrival in sydnay

Guest guest79615

Guest guest79615

I have epilepsy and take medication everyday, currently i get it free, how much will it cost me in Sydney? Will i have to go see a doctor in Sydney straight away to get me written up for repeat prescription or can i take something to a chemist that my doctor here could write out to start with?

Thanks xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Lorna there was a thread recently on this ill see if I can dig it out, check out the costs of your meds here, if it's on the PBS you may be looking at $35 per month. A Dr here would need to write you a script, best thing is to try and get 3/6 months supply to put you on when you arrive.

I have epilepsy and take medication everyday, currently i get it free, how much will it cost me in Sydney? Will i have to go see a doctor in Sydney straight away to get me written up for repeat prescription or can i take something to a chemist that my doctor here could write out to start with?

Thanks xx

I would seriously suggest that you bring as much of your usual medication with you as possible.

Make an appointment with a GP in Sydney as soon as you can.Also bring your medical records,current medication and/or contact details of your Doctor in the UK.

You will not be able to fill a prescription here that has been written by a Doctor in the UK. Prescriptions are not free here and medication can be anything from a few dollars to a lot of dollars each month spending on the type you need, to fill your repeat.

The Australian government runs a pharmaceutical benefit scheme that subsidises the cost of most medications http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme there is also a healthcare safety net and when you reach the threshold the cost of out of hospital health care becomes cheaper . It is important that both you and yor partner and any children are registered under the same safety net so you reach it quicker. You may also be able to claim back money spent on health care when you do yor tax return . For this reason get all of yor scripts from the same pharmacy so that it is easier to get a statement. Also always choosing the generic alternative to a drug will make it cheaper. Some pharmacies advertise that they are cheaper but I think this can only be on non PBS drugs but it may be worth shopping around.http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-safety-net/medicare-safety-net-thresholds

Edited by summerhill
To add information

Its good that we do have the threshold, however a lot has to be spent before we get to it. I would rather not get the threshold. Also claiming off tax you have to have an awful lot of deductions before you can claim and then you only get back approx 22 cents in every dollar spent.

Check on the pharmaceutical benefits site to see if your drug is available in Australia and it will also give you the cost. A lot of drugs do not have a generic or the doc prefers the patient to take the prescribed drug rather than a generic. Drugs in Aus are named differently for example Aropax is Paroxetine.

My daughter has to take anti convulsants and the drug she takes Keppra is only available with a special prescription. It costs here about $34.00 a month for her prescription.