Beach town near Brisbane - any ideas?

vcosta

Hi All,

I'd like to live near Brisbane, as I expect to be working there, but I'd really like to live near the beach - does anyone know of any good towns say 30 mins drive from Brisbane centre that might be good for me? I've had a look on the map, but it looks more like a harbor nearby rather than a beach.

All ideas gratefully received - north or south of brisbane is fine!

Cheers

Victoria

Hi All,

I'd like to live near Brisbane, as I expect to be working there, but I'd really like to live near the beach - does anyone know of any good towns say 30 mins drive from Brisbane centre that might be good for me? I've had a look on the map, but it looks more like a harbor nearby rather than a beach.

All ideas gratefully received - north or south of brisbane is fine!

Cheers

Victoria

There are no real beaches within 30 minutes of Brisbane. The nearest proper beaches are on Bribie Island or the Gold coast and they are at least 45 minutes from the centre when there is no traffic about.

There are a few beaches on Bayside but they are either man made or natural but on the bay which means the water is very quiet and can get dirty at times.....certainly not surf beaches...they are probably also more than 30 minutes from Brisbane. The traffic at peak times is horrendous so you are probably better living nearer the city and travelling to the beach occasionally....I don't think we have been to a beach for a year or so....the novelty will soon wear off.

I am north so can only help with that.

Not a proper "beach" but you have Shorncliffe/Sandgate which are not too far. More like a bay.

Redcliffe is pretty nice and more of a beach but further away than 30 minutes.

For the good beaches north you have to go up to the Sunshine Coast.

Beach : an expanse of sand or pebbles along a shore. 2. the part of the shore of an ocean, sea, large river, lake, etc., washed by the tide or waves.

For some strange reason, most poms envisage a beach as being a surf beach. There are many perfectly acceptable beaches alongf the shoreline from Woody Point/Margate/redcliffe to Scarborough. Shorncliffe/Sandgate/brighton also. It's more than half an hour to the city but you could live within 5/10 minutes of these beaches and still be in the city in around 30 mins.

Shorncliffe/Sandgate

154092-1-blue-series-jetty.jpg

pile2%201300.jpg

shorn3%201300.jpg

tree2%201300.jpg

Brighton

153798-1-blue-series-the-candles-an.jpg

IMG_0381%201300.jpg

redshirt%201300.jpg

Woody Point

IMG_0386.jpg

Margate

stickdog.jpg?timestamp=1306128960214

fish.jpg

Redcliffe

IMG_1534-1300.jpg

Guest GeorgeD

Thumbs up for Redcliff.

My wife wants to move there at some point. The new train line, when it is built, will make a big difference to commuting.

Thumbs up for Redcliff.

My wife wants to move there at some point. The new train line, when it is built, will make a big difference to commuting.

They've been talking about it for more than 20 yrs mate....................I think the Newman Gov't is the least likely mob to contribute. I think the only way it'll get off the ground is if it's totally federally funded.

Guest GeorgeD
They've been talking about it for more than 20 yrs mate....................I think the Newman Gov't is the least likely mob to contribute. I think the only way it'll get off the ground is if it's totally federally funded.

I did wonder about that!

I read in the Courier Mail that they were looking at introducing more tolls on the Gateway Motorway north of the bridge to fund upgrading that section of the road in absence of Federal Funds. It could do with the upgrade, but it will be a pain for commuters having to pay, the alternative routes to the city aren't great either.

JohnDoe - I do love Shorncliffe but I was there a couple weeks ago and the pier is all boarded up, there was a lot of dirty looking foam down by the beach and the "sand" is great for the kids making mud pies! Excellent fun but not quite as tranquil as that picture suggests!

Not that things can't change but I think it is funded with prelim works already started:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Featured-projects/Moreton-Bay-Rail-Link.aspx

Fingers crossed.

I'd agree that the best bet is Redcliffe as it is a lovely spot these days.

Edited by fish.01

JohnDoe - I do love Shorncliffe but I was there a couple weeks ago and the pier is all boarded up, there was a lot of dirty looking foam down by the beach and the "sand" is great for the kids making mud pies! Excellent fun but not quite as tranquil as that picture suggests!

The pier was going to be demolished but is now going to be repaired and upgraded. The foam is due to the high onshore winds and you'll get it on any beach with a strong onshore wind. The mud prevails along most of Sandgate which you'll also find at any estuary mouth due to floodwaters from the rivers. Sandgate can be particularly vulnerable doe to being sandwiched between the Brizzy river and pine river with cabbage tree creek thrown in for good measure. It doesn't seem to accumulate at the play area by the pier though, and that "beach" is cleaned regularly.

Edited by Johndoe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

There are not any beaches 30 minutes from Brisbane. There are wonderful bayside locations such as Wynnum (South-East) or Sandgate (Northside). These areas are within 30 minutes from Brisbane. They have pools, recreational parks and offer a nice lifestyle.

If you are after a beachside area the closest would be Bribie Island which is located about 1 hour from Brisbane (north) or you could look at the Gold Coast which again is an hour or so travel time from Brisbane

If you are working and living in Brisbane, there are also areas which offer Riverside living. If you are a lifestyle sea change then maybe the bayside option is for you. If i can be of any further assistance let me know.

The House Hunters

Hi

There are not any beaches 30 minutes from Brisbane. There are wonderful bayside locations such as Wynnum (South-East) or Sandgate (Northside). These areas are within 30 minutes from Brisbane. They have pools, recreational parks and offer a nice lifestyle.

If you are after a beachside area the closest would be Bribie Island which is located about 1 hour from Brisbane (north) or you could look at the Gold Coast which again is an hour or so travel time from Brisbane

If you are working and living in Brisbane, there are also areas which offer Riverside living. If you are a lifestyle sea change then maybe the bayside option is for you. If i can be of any further assistance let me know.

The House Hunters

I would probably class Redcliffe as a beachside area, just not surf beaches. Was up there last weekend and in many ways it is lovely. I think I prefer it to most surf beach areas as the foreshore has lots of trees, parks and paths with cafes across the road in places. For anyone interested it is a 30 min off peak drive to Brisbane and in peak I think you drive 10-15 mins to the train and then catch the train from sandgate into the city (35mins?)

Edited by fish.01

Guest Guest80482

Wellington Point is a really nice spot and on a train line into Brisbane. Around the Redland Bay area on the south side of Brisbane. There are some really nice locations in the Bay area. The Gold Coast is an hour commute if you want surf beaches.