Changing from 457 to PR - does this have to be work sponsored?

VikkiP

Hello out there..

I was wondering if anyone had moved from a 457 sponsored visa to PR and if so how did you go about it? Does it too have to be work sponsored or can you go it alone?

I recently got made redundant and we will have been in Melbourne 2 years on 9th march. Really wanted to start the PR application but not sure if we can still do it now? My new job are taking over my existing visa and my husband also has the option to be sponsored if need be.

Any help very gratefully accepted.

Thanks

To get PR you need to apply for one of the permanent visas.

For people getting into Australia on the basis of occupation, there are two options, employer sponsored or skilled migration. As you have just been made redundant you would have to assume that employer sponsored is not an option for the time being, therefore you need to look into skilled migration. The visa numbers are 189 or 190 and you can read about them on www.immi.gov.au in the "skill select" area (there is a search function).

If you find, or your OH finds a willing employer sponsor then you need to look into the 186 or 187 visas which you can also read about on the website given. An employer can sponsor for a permanent visa any time they like, there is this myth that you have to work for them for two years, but it is just that, a myth.

To get PR you need to apply for one of the permanent visas.

For people getting into Australia on the basis of occupation, there are two options, employer sponsored or skilled migration. As you have just been made redundant you would have to assume that employer sponsored is not an option for the time being, therefore you need to look into skilled migration. The visa numbers are 189 or 190 and you can read about them on www.immi.gov.au in the "skill select" area (there is a search function).

If you find, or your OH finds a willing employer sponsor then you need to look into the 186 or 187 visas which you can also read about on the website given. An employer can sponsor for a permanent visa any time they like, there is this myth that you have to work for them for two years, but it is just that, a myth.

Isn't the 2 year thing because of the striicter requirements before then? It isn't a myth for us as DH can't pass a skills assessment as no degree so we have to wait the 2 years to be sponsored for a PR visa.

Isn't the 2 year thing because of the striicter requirements before then? It isn't a myth for us as DH can't pass a skills assessment as no degree so we have to wait the 2 years to be sponsored for a PR visa.

I don't understand your first sentence so cannot comment on that.

It is a myth that it is necessary to work for two years before being able to apply for an employer sponsored permanent visa. There are other ways of getting a employer sponsored visa, that you personally do not qualify for the other ways does not make the myth true.

With the employer sponsored visa does anyone know how long you have to work for that employer? For example, if I work for the employer that sponsored my permanent visa for 2 years and then I wish to transfer to another company due to promotion possibilities etc can I do that? Also my job is on the skills shortage list if that makes any difference.

Thanks, C