Dietitians

Irish Girl

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I am a UK trained dietitian and am in the process of moving to Victoria where dietitians are on the state sponsored list. I have applied to the DAA to get my skills assessed and am wondering can I apply for my 190 visa once my skills are positively assessed or do I have to wait until I sit my registration exams to do this? Also are there many jobs for dietitians in Melbourne?

Many thanks for any information.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, I can't help with the visa side but dieticians were in demand, I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I am a UK trained dietitian and am in the process of moving to Victoria where dietitians are on the state sponsored list. I have applied to the DAA to get my skills assessed and am wondering can I apply for my 190 visa once my skills are positively assessed or do I have to wait until I sit my registration exams to do this? Also are there many jobs for dietitians in Melbourne?

Many thanks for any information.

Hi, what stage of the skills assessment are you at? We are going through the process with my wife at the moment. We're currently waiting to hear back regarding the assessment of eligibility to sit the written exam. You need to pass the written exam before you can get the positive skills assessment. There is a sitting of the written exam in London at the beginning of March, the deadline to apply for which was 20 December. Next one looks to be in September.

Hi, what stage of the skills assessment are you at? We are going through the process with my wife at the moment. We're currently waiting to hear back regarding the assessment of eligibility to sit the written exam. You need to pass the written exam before you can get the positive skills assessment. There is a sitting of the written exam in London at the beginning of March, the deadline to apply for which was 20 December. Next one looks to be in September.

Hi Jlew,

Thanks for getting back to me. I seem to be at the same stage as your wife and am waiting to hear back from the DAA also. It looks like it will be September before I am able to sit the exams. Hope everything goes well for you both.

Hi Jlew,

Thanks for getting back to me. I seem to be at the same stage as your wife and am waiting to hear back from the DAA also. It looks like it will be September before I am able to sit the exams. Hope everything goes well for you both.

Heres hoping! Hope all works out well for you too! It's quite a wait to September and to be honest we hadn't appreciated he next stage of the process was the exam. If we had, we'd have applied a bit earlier. It says on the day website that it may take up to 6 weeks for the assessment to come back. It will be 6 weeks this Tuesday since the date of the letter confirming this so shouldn't be too far away now. Expect the March exam is now out of the question, but will wait and see.

It's been 5 weeks since I got my confirmation letter but I have been in touch with the DAA and was told it will be September before I can sit my exams. Hopefully we'll both fly through the exams and be working in Victoria soon.

Ah, ok thanks. Expecting that to be the case, but ever the optimist until confirmed. Won't be that long in the grand scheme and gives a wee bit extra time to save.

Hi Everybody.My wife is working in Dubai as a dietitian and we have got 190 Visa recently(Myself an Engineer and Main applicant) and planning to move to perth by May.Now my question is once we move to perth does my wife has to go thru skill assessment for dietitian or directly write the test in sept as she will be in australia by the way.Am i confusing you guys!!

Please explain step by step process to obtain APD and DAA for overseas educated dietitian who has recently moved into australia on 190 Visa.

Hi Everybody.My wife is working in Dubai as a dietitian and we have got 190 Visa recently(Myself an Engineer and Main applicant) and planning to move to perth by May.Now my question is once we move to perth does my wife has to go thru skill assessment for dietitian or directly write the test in sept as she will be in australia by the way.Am i confusing you guys!!

Please explain step by step process to obtain APD and DAA for overseas educated dietitian who has recently moved into australia on 190 Visa.

Hi,

I'm not sure about the skills assessment as you are the main applicant. However in order for your wife to work as a dietitian in Australia she will need to be registered and therefore will have to sit the registration exams. She may have to have a skills assessment to ensure her qualifications are equivalent to those of Australian standards. The basic outline of the assessment process is:

Desktop assessment (getting your skills assessed)

Stage 2. MCQ examination - (written examination)

Stage 3. Oral examination - you are expected to complete the Oral as soon as possible once you have passed the MCQ.

However If you contact the DAA they will be able to advise you in more detail, as it might be different for your wife as you will be living in Australia and not needing the skills for a visa. I don't think you can obtain APD unless you are registered. Hope this helps.

really appreciate.thanks for the info.

Hi,

I'm not sure about the skills assessment as you are the main applicant. However in order for your wife to work as a dietitian in Australia she will need to be registered and therefore will have to sit the registration exams. She may have to have a skills assessment to ensure her qualifications are equivalent to those of Australian standards. The basic outline of the assessment process is:

Desktop assessment (getting your skills assessed)

Stage 2. MCQ examination - (written examination)

Stage 3. Oral examination - you are expected to complete the Oral as soon as possible once you have passed the MCQ.

However If you contact the DAA they will be able to advise you in more detail, as it might be different for your wife as you will be living in Australia and not needing the skills for a visa. I don't think you can obtain APD unless you are registered. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I did the MCQ exam in Sept 2012 in London and the oral exam in brisbane in dec. registered with the DAA in Jan so looking for work now. The DAA advertises most jobs but you need to be a member to see them. You can keep a look out though on seek.com.au or indeed.com which should show jobs. Apparently a lot of work here is by word of mouth so if you don't have a job when you land here it's worth contacting dept directly. I know how hard of a process this is so if I can be any help just shout.

cat

Hi Cat,

I did the exact time path as you with the DAA accreditation process! Are you in Australia already? And are there a lot of jobs advertised on the DAA website? I'm not a member (yet) and mainly look at the regular job websites (SEEK, government etc.). I'm currently looking into Visa's, not easy.. Thanks in advance!

Hi Subi

yes I came out in Oct, I didn't know my results but I thought even if I'd failed I would come out anyways as my partner started work in Oct here in QLD.

just looking now...there is about 18 jobs..of those only 10 are really "dietitian" jobs the others are lecturer jobs, customer careline that kind if thing. QLD health is going through lots of gov cuts at the mo so it's seems like there are more jobs in Victoria and NSW. Also most of these jobs are quiet rural...and rural here a flight into the middle of nowhere!

I think if you are not tied to an area (unlike me) you have much more choice, which could be said of UK jobs too I guess.

I have only truly been looking for about a month since I got registered so its early days I guess.

Where did you do the oral? I seemed to be the only one in brisbane and was hoping to meet other UK/Irish Dietitans!!when do you plan to move here?

cat

Hi Cat, thanks for your reply. I am sitting my exams this Sept in London. How did you find the exams? Did you have much preparation to do for them? I work in Eating Disorders so I'm going to have to read up on other areas of dietetics that I haven't worked in for a while. The DAA gave me information about mentors, did you have access to one or did you just study yourself for exams. Thanks for any advice you can give me

Hi irish girl, the exam isn't easy but def if you do some study you should be fine. They were split into clinical, community/health promotion and food service. I thought the clinical ones were fine...just read up on all the guidelines on the DAA website. It was food service and public health that was hard. There is a list of mentors you can contact on the website. I used them to find out good textbooks for food service and public health. To be honest I didn't bother buying them in the end! The mentors are handy but to be honest they don't know much about the exam itself they can just just help with specific dietetics Qs.

Nutrition Australia is a good website...look up nutrition guidelines eg fruit and veg is 7 servings here, look up guidelines for salt, calcium all that kinda thing.also guidelines in renal disease. Also food safely e.g what food is high risk for listeria. I will get a list of website I used together and post them here or if you want me to email you directly send me ur email.

Ps iv only ever worked in paeds so the thought of revising for adults was daunting too but actually it's good if you are planning to move here anyways to do some revision and broaden job opportunities.

Ok some more info...hope this helps

http://www.nrv.gov.au/.....you don't need to know all nutrients references values just think of what you would know in UK I.e iron in girls, calcium in women, salt, fibre, they use KJ here not kcal so know the conversion.know the differences between LRNI, RNI etc.

http://Www.nutritionaustralia.org

look up Dietary guidelines for all Australians

this should get you started I will have a think of more unfortunately I left my notes at home!

oh also look up health issues in indigenous population..diabetes, obesity, Alcohol.

Hope this helps! You have loads of time to study I didn't really start til the summer so don't panic!

Hi Cat!

I'm a Dutch dietitian, still living in Holland and hopefully looking into sponsorship for a Visa. It's pretty hard, but I had two job interviews so far. They are rural though, but I don't mind.

I did the oral in Perth, I came out for a little holiday as well to see my friends there. I was the only one as well! I did the written exam in Athens and was the only one there too, how about London did you meet any dietitians there that are moving over? Must be hard looking for a job, good luck! I'll let you know on the progress, wouldn't mind moving to Queensland.

Hi Irish Girl,

Good luck with your exams in September! I think gave you some really good tips for preparation. You have lots of time to study (I had only 2 months..), so you should be fine. I used the DAA website for practical nutritional advice, and the websites that Cat stated. They have questions on all fields. It wasn't easy, but I was so happy I passed! Good luck and keep us informed!

Hi subi, yes I was so surprised too I thought there would be lots of dietitians doing the exams, there was only 6 in London!yes it's hard but if your not tied to an area you definitely have a really good chance. There seems to be a lot of jobs in Perth so I'm sure ul be fine!would be great to keep in touch, it's a long progress but definitely worth it...been here since oct and been in shorts/dresses Everyday since and don't even own a jumper!!love it!