Changing state sponsorship

Shauno27

Hi I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to change state sponsorship or live in a different state instead of staying two years in the state you get sponsored by after a visa has come through. We are very lucky and have a visa with ss from SA and this is fab however my sister is moving to wa and she wondered how easy it would be for us to join them there as we both have young children. Is this possible does anyone know?

Thanks

Its a moral obligation, not a legal one.

However, if you really did like SA and wanted to move there, I'd consider still heading that way for a bit, especially if there is work there. Moving states before you've even moved to Aus is a bit of hit and miss. You may really not like WA. But then again, you might. I'd not base changing states on what other people were doing.

I'd agree with Snifter, give SA a go if that's where the shortage for your occupation is (unless WA also had it on it's skill shortage list), otherwise you may be making the move and finding there's no work. I've heard it said that it's a moral obligation, but as you have to fill out forms for DIAIC, i'm not sure what happens when you give your address outside the sponsoring state.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I will give dial a ring to check as reading the SA sponsorship visa details it says you need to live in that area for at least 2 years.

Hello, Shauno27!

My situation is silimar to yours, but a bit different.

I got my PR visa based on SA sponsorship also, and indeed I have been preparing for moving there for some time. But I got an internal transfer offer within my current company to Queensland a few days ago. Still moving to SA means I will have to give up the precious offer and also my seniority in the company. That would be a huge loss to me. So I'm wondering if I should write to SA government to request their understanding/permission.

So, how was their reply to your call?

Its moral but who knows it may changed to Legal in near future !!

States like NT, SA or ACT need skilled people. but once ppl get Visa they tend to move to other states. skill shortage in this states never be solved if thins kind of trends keep going. May be in near future states will urge Feds to amend migration laws to make state moving illegal.