Shipping Company Warning

Incata

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for your experience could u pm me the details please. I dont get why people are anti name and shame on this forum. I had a couple of problems with big corporations complaint gets nowhere so put it on Twitter and it's magically solved in a day. u have to hit these companies where it hurts by publicly bringing them to account

Been in touch with John Mason, who whilst don't recommend packing your own container, said they would allow it - cost £1500 - £2K, that's cheap I'm thinking. They do mention it could cause problems with customs and insurance - I'm taking it this may mean extra charges at the other end. Does anyone have any advice? They said they will deliver the container and give us 3 hours to load it, before incurring extra charges. I'm thinking its do able if we are organised and have enough strong men?

What do you all think, is this the way to go - with them packing the price would be in the region of £3-4K, big price difference ........

Been in touch with John Mason, who whilst don't recommend packing your own container, said they would allow it - cost £1500 - £2K, that's cheap I'm thinking. They do mention it could cause problems with customs and insurance - I'm taking it this may mean extra charges at the other end. Does anyone have any advice? They said they will deliver the container and give us 3 hours to load it, before incurring extra charges. I'm thinking its do able if we are organised and have enough strong men?

What do you all think, is this the way to go - with them packing the price would be in the region of £3-4K, big price difference ........

We paid for packing but packed it ourselves as they gave us 2 days (working hours only) to pack up the house...We packed everything very very well and carefully...and non stop and it took us 1 week (my mum has a lot of stuff though). The guys came 3 hours late and were very sloppy at packing the rest of the stuff...it took them nearly a day to just fill up the truck. They didnt say anything about us having packed the boxes in advance...but this could just be our case and your experience might be different

BTW still waiting for my mum to answer me on the name of the comany...she's been having job interviews so I think she hasn't had time to check my msg on facebook

We paid for packing but packed it ourselves as they gave us 2 days (working hours only) to pack up the house...We packed everything very very well and carefully...and non stop and it took us 1 week (my mum has a lot of stuff though). The guys came 3 hours late and were very sloppy at packing the rest of the stuff...it took them nearly a day to just fill up the truck. They didnt say anything about us having packed the boxes in advance...but this could just be our case and your experience might be different

BTW still waiting for my mum to answer me on the name of the comany...she's been having job interviews so I think she hasn't had time to check my msg on facebook

Thank you, that's very kind, and thanks for sharing your experience - it all helps

sorry for your experience could u pm me the details please. I dont get why people are anti name and shame on this forum. I had a couple of problems with big corporations complaint gets nowhere so put it on Twitter and it's magically solved in a day. u have to hit these companies where it hurts by publicly bringing them to account

Hi

I fully understand what you are saying and I am in agreement. However, I understand from the moderators that a number of companies have threatened to sue them because people named and shamed. This site is such a useful one and helped me a lot when we were applying for the visa (and with advice since), that I really don't want to cause them trouble, so I have decided not to name them. However, over 80 people have now been in touch with me from a variety of boards I have posted my experience on. At least 30 of them were about to go with the company (I don't know about the others) and now won't, so it has cost the company a lot of money, a lot more than if they had simply said "sorry, we messed up" and then paid themselves to ship the rest of our things (in which case I would have accepted it, kept my mouth shut and not posted about it). As it is, we were supposed to hear back from the Chief Executive over 2 weeks ago and we have heard nothing. We will chase it up tomorrow but all that is happening is I am getting more and more annoyed with them, and posting about the experience on every board I find to do with expats, along with regular updates. It might not be as good as naming and shaming but it is helping immensely!

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

As an aside, as a provider of a service, if a customer has a particular gripe with our service we do not have a problem if this is publicly aired as long as we able to respond and demonstrate how we rectified the situation. I think most people accept that from time to time things do, unfortunately, go wrong but it is how the Company addresses the problem and is actually seen to address the problem so it is not repeated that really counts. Are we alone, as a company, in thinking this way and that customers should always come first?

Edited by snifter
Removed 2 paragraphs of text re name and shaming issues

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

As an aside, as a provider of a service, if a customer has a particular gripe with our service we do not have a problem if this is publicly aired as long as we able to respond and demonstrate how we rectified the situation. I think most people accept that from time to time things do, unfortunately, go wrong but it is how the Company addresses the problem and is actually seen to address the problem so it is not repeated that really counts. Are we alone, as a company, in thinking this way and that customers should always come first?

As I said previously, I am quite happy for the company to respond, but as of yet we have still not had any response and the situation has not been rectified - 2 months later. Someone in a PM said to me, and they are absolutely correct, it is not how a company does when everything goes well and they are trying to get your business that counts, it's how they respond when it goes wrong.

Had the company involved sorted it out quickly, I would not have posted on any board. As it is, the packing happened in the middle of December and the complaint went in immediately. We were brushed off, our complaints ignored - the first response which told us in no uncertain terms where to go, was not even on company headed paper, and now we have it up to Chief Executive level (he was apparently the next step up from the Removals Manager). There has been a lack of response to chasing emails asking what is happening and why aren't they responding? Finally on Friday afternoon we had an email saying the CE had been away and was now going to look at it. This was pretty similar to an email we had over three weeks ago which said he was in a different office and would look at in and respond the following Friday (4 days later and 3 weeks last Friday), but we heard nothing for a further 3 weeks. During the last 3.5 weeks we have sent and had ignored, three emails asking what was happening? Will we hear anything now? I don't know. The response has been incredibly poor.

If I could compare it to a complaint I made to Lakeland (the homeware store - www.lakeland.co.uk) several months before we moved. I had bought a soup maker from them 18 months previously and it stopped working. We tried everything and it would not work. I phoned their customer services to see if they knew someone who may be able to fix it as it cost £125 (which was a lot of money for us but it was a special treat!). Their response was simple: we will replace it, free of charge. They have a lifetime guarantee on all their goods and if you are not happy with them at any time, they will replace it or give you a refund. I didn't even have to make a contribution which I thought might be the case (as mine was used and they were giving me a brand new replacement, complete with new warrantee). Most companies have a 30 day time limit and if you dared take something back 18 months after you bought it you would be laughed out of the shop. As by that point I was not living near a store, they sent one through the post and had mine collected at the same time. I was even given a two hour time slot for the collection and delivery so I could make sure I was at home.

From that point onwards, all my homeware was bought from Lakeland as a company that cares that much about the satisfaction of its customers, is one that deserves my business. All my friends now shop there as well, purely because you can guarantee excellent customer service and you know that if things go wrong, the staff will sort it out. I would point out that with Lakeland, if you don't have a receipt, they will give you a like for like replacement. If you are unhappy with a product and post about it on your website, they not only allow the post to be posted, they also respond and place their response on the website, which is ever so unusual for a company. To me it shows a company with integrity, and again one which deserves my business. I can guarantee that with an attitude like this, Lakeland will not be going out of business any time soon!

While the amounts involved are slightly different, the attitude difference is huge and I will shout from the rooftops how good Lakeland is. It sounds like IYM is a similar company with similar values. I would suggest people put their stuff in a rowing boat and paddle across themselves rather than recommend the shipping company we used!

Mods -if this is not okay please let me know and I will delete the names of the companies I have heard good things about.

Edited by snifter
Removed now deleted text in quote and company names. Also reference to named companies as now deleted.

We've now got the complaint up to the level of the Chief Executive and it has all gone very quiet.

I too had a really awful experience with a shipping company used to transport our household items to Australia.

They turned up with no boxes, so had to take everything in the back of their truck. When I asked company questions e.g. was it their company receiving the shipment in Australia, they had no idea!

I asked for it to be shipped as soon as we paid for it, on July 4th 2012, only to find out it was still in the UK when I enquired on our leaving date (July 31st).

When I contacted them again in middle of August for the shipping details they advised me that it was going to be shipped on 31st August!!!

It was a different company they used at this end (who were actually really good).

A few broken items:

Mirror smashed - because they didnt pack it properly and no fragile stickers on

The leather corner suite was scuffed!

The TV standed watch scratched

Dining room table was missing a chunk from the corner!

My Mobile Beauty case was dented

The Subwoofer to our cinema system was broken

Basically I should have sold everything in the UK and bought new when we got here! or better still used a recommended company.

Company liaiblity only paid us £120 for the damaged items. Though for the delay they did compensate us £300. In that time I couldnt do any of my beauty work as I didnt have my tools, so loss of earnings.

Our insurance company wanted us to get repairs done rather than replace items but as the excess was £500 we decided not to persue. What a nightmare!

PM me if you want to know the name of the company.

OK, firstly have had a look over this thread and have removed a few things after discussion with mods and admin.

Secondly, instead of everyone posting asking the OP to PM them with the name of the company, the easiest thing is to simply PM the OP yourselves and they can reply. Rather than clog up this thread full of 'PM me with the name please'. Just hit PM for the OP and ask. The OP will reply when they can I am sure.

Thanks in advance

snifter

First post but long time lurker soaking up a lot if really useful information here on PiO. This however is probably time to get involved as we've just started our quote process with shipping companies. Please could you let me know which company you used so we know which to be wary of. BTW I'm not aware of any law about not being able to say publicly on the internet that you had a bad expereice with a company - plenty of Forums dedicated to just that! Cheers