Perthbum

Doctors from overseas not good enough.

I am, just stating that it's not that easy to get help if you needed it....i mean you'd have to wait, so seeing doctors in the mean time would be the next best thing, so they do play a bigger role than just diagnosing illnesses...if you know what i mean?

Of course they do. The GP is the first port of call for most people for everything health wise, except maybe dental. And it's not easy to get help, if you want a referral to psychological therapies you have to see the GP first so of course they should be there to listen to your complaint. I remember thinking I could stand in the waiting room and scream and still leave with no referral!! Don't worry Britchick seeing your GP is the right thing to do, shame yours isn't a better listener.

And I got psychological therapies free in Oz, by an excellent therapist. I do love the NHS but have never had a therapist that worked for me through them.

TBH that shouldnt be the role of receptionists/admin at doctors' surgeries, assuming thats what you mean. Their role should be to give out appointments based on the minimal information the patient supplies. Some (possibly many) patients would be affronted to be questioned on their reason for seeing the doctor. Its none of the receptionist's business, potentially a serious breach of confidentiality.

Dom the receptionists at my docs always ask why people are there. there's been a lot of complaints about them

Thats assuming the patient knows that they need help. Many are not in the state of mind to accept they have an issue or are too apathetic to try to find other places.

Their doctor is their doctor, that's where they go if they're feeling crap, so that's where they go.

Its upto the staff then to recognise problems then liaise/send the patient to the next step. The staff need the training to know what to look for, that was the concept of my original post.

In the UK the GP is the gatekeeper to all health service referrals, unlike Aus where you don't have to register in order to access any services.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Dom the receptionists at my docs always ask why people are there. there's been a lot of complaints about them

That's true, it can be a total pain in the arse, especially that "do you need an appointment today thing, what's wrong with you?"

That's true, it can be a total pain in the arse, especially that "do you need an appointment today thing, what's wrong with you?"

I love it when you have tried getting through for 30 mins at 8am to be told there are no appointments and you need to ring at 8am. I lost it with them last time. Took me a week to get in.

I know they have to get a rough idea but apparently they've asked very specific questions and people have complained. it was in our local paper lol. it's a nightmare even getting a appointment, wait weeks usually

I love it when you have tried getting through for 30 mins at 8am to be told there are no appointments and you need to ring at 8am. I lost it with them last time. Took me a week to get in.

I'm glad it's not just my doctors then!

I'm glad it's not just my doctors then!

We went today, I asked to see a Brit doctor so that I didn't have any issues like PB started this thread about. He's really is doing a public service.

Guest Guest26012

I had to take a friend here who was in need of mental health care. The lady gp was excellent! She spent 45 mins with my friend and then referred her on to counselling. She was a "foreign" gp. Excellent counsellor, IMO. I was there. This is my experience in oz, of foreign drs, hate that term. I think in response to the OPs post, he may present the statistics but like any other statistics they are questionable. And like any research it can be pulled to bits and blown apart!

[h=3]Danger Doctors - Beware![/h]

A different perspective of the same issue is presented in this blog.

http://internationaldoctors.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/the-sunday-telegraphs-health-leads-with.html?m=0

The Sunday Telegraphs Health leads with the eyecatching, heart thumping headline of '3 in 4 of Britains danger doctors are trained abroad'!

Now lets go a little more into their eyecatching, heart thumping headline and news.

They acquired the statistics using the freedom of information act so we can conclude that this juicy detail was actively sought to make a news article. Well that explains the catchy headline at least! .....

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!